The never-ending word-editing experiment

Deddly

This is inspired by The Ever-Morphing Sentence Game.

The key difference here is that we start with a single word and whatever we end up with never resets.  If it goes well, we'll end up with an entertaining short story that we all helped to write.

You can do one of the following in a single turn:

• Add a word
  • Remove a word
  • Replace or edit a word.

Capitalisation, punctuation and the following words are free (you can add or remove as many as are needed but don't just spam them or remove them all, obviously):

• the
  • and
  • he/she/it
  • is
  • a/an
  • of
  • to

Please make an effort to not dominate the story by trying to force it to say something you want it to say, and don't just make it random - the key to this kind of game is to try to work out what the others are aiming for and work along with it - to try to get on the same wavelength. 

If you have any suggestions for improving this experiment, please PM me or write your suggestion in a spoiler.

Spoiler

Like this

Whoever posts first even gets to write the first word of the story. Feeling creative? Go for it!

Edit 14 October 2022: Please highlight your edit in some way so we don't need to read through the whole thing to know what was changed, thanks!

Edited by Deddly
he/she added

Boris Kerman flies a giant

Spoiler

Sorry if this seems more complicated but hopefully would make the game less so. Based on what Maria said, what if you made all connecting word of 4 letters or less free. e.g was, has , then, that, is, it, or, and, of, at, when...

Edited by ColdJ

Boris Kerman likes flies a tiny rocket powered

Spoiler

It seems to make sense that necessary edits to keep correct grammar when inserting/removing words should also be a free move, like I did here.

Maybe not... I'll consider it if it is needed in the future, but in retrospect I thought of a way NOT having that as a free move could be more fun. 

Edited by Deddly

Boris Kerman flies a tiny lemon-powered broom.

Spoiler

I think you accidentally left a word out there, @Maria Sirona. Not to worry, I'll use my turn to remove the word "likes". I recommend copy & paste to make sure we don't miss a word or introduce typos.

Edited by Deddly
Free punctuation :)

Jebediah Kerman flies a tiny lemon-and-soda powered broom rather than a Comet into a Dres asteroid

4 hours ago, Maria Sirona said:

Why is it called experiment in the title

Spoiler

Because it is a social experiment to see how the sentence evolves based on peoples inputs. I started with Boris. We could have got Natasha, or Becker, but we got Kerman because we think Kerbal here.) (Boris and Natasha were from the cartoon Rocky and Bullwinkle, Boris Becker played tennis.)