Threads of the month: June 2022

adsii1970

The KSP forum moderator's team presents the
Threads of the Month
June 2022 Edition

The extremely late edition

vtf6ipP.png

Before I get into this threads of the month, I want to apologize for it being six days late.  :valwow:

No doubt, many of you have noticed that the June Thread of the Month (which has now earned the subtitle "the extremely late edition") is now six days late. I am sorry for any inconvenience or disappointment that my inattention to the calendar may have caused any of you who look forward to the thread of the month posting. All I can say is I will endeavor to make sure it isn't this late again in the future.

For those out there who like the nerdy parts of the TOTM:

To continue a thing I started in May (2021) about the forum and new members as a way to answer the fears some folks had about the forum dying. There were 392 new forum accounts created in May (a decrease of 22 from April).  Of those, we have 28 new forum members (defined as no longer having their comments queued) within the community. This means that roughly 7.14% of the new user accounts are actively participating on the forum (that is an increase of 1.1% in the conversion. In April, this number was 6.04%). If you're interested in seeing the new members of our forum, you can click here!

Now, without further delay, I present to you the threads of the month for June:

General community threads of the month:
This category features a thread that adds to the community and doesn't fit in the game support/game mod categories.

This month, there were no threads nominated for this category.

Game Support/Game Mod of the Month:

This category features either help with the game (stock or modded), or mods that add quality-of-life gameplay improvements to Kerbal Space Program.

Who doesn't get tired of all-white craft from time to time and yearn to have their vehicles in other colors? Well, if I've described how you feel, then maybe this mod by @Manwith Noname is just what you've been looking for. This month's game mod of the month is described as:

This is a continuation / adaptation / expansion of previous work I undertook for the mod KerbPaint many moons ago. It now uses shaders made available via Textures Unlimited to bring user control over the colour of many stock parts.

It's always exciting to see such QOL (quality of life) mods created and maintained by contributors such as @Manwith Noname and the many other modders within our community. As I have often said in other posts, it is the forum members like you who keep our community growing, active, and hungry for even more Kerbal Space Program adventures!

If you're looking for a way to add something new to your various devices of explosions Kerbal space exploration, then why not give this mod a try! ;p

Forum Member Created Challenges and Missions:

For the past few years, we have seen a lot of really good missions and challenges threads created that expand our fun with the game and presses our skills, creativity, and sometimes, luck, beyond what we get accustomed to. Let's face it, we all have our go-to design basics, our go-to Kermen, and even our go-to vehicles we like to use. So sometimes a good challenge can cause us to think of another way to achieve our goals. 

Fan-fiction, Mission Reports, and Kerbal Space Program-inspired Creative Thread of the Month:

This category features a thread (or threads) which while not directly Kerbal Space Program related, may be a creative work, fan-fiction, or other presentation which is related to the game.

For many of you who began playing Kerbal Space Program in the days before there was anything other than sandbox mode, it's always interesting to see how others play in sandbox mode. In this mission report, by @TheSaint, not only do we get a really good story line but some really neat looking spacecraft.

So, a little while ago in the "What I Did In KSP Today" thread I threatened to make a mission report thread. And, since I'm not one to make idle threats, here it is.

A little bit about the save. It's a sandbox save, no fund or science restrictions. I'm just setting my own restrictions and goals, doing my own thing. I kind of view it as my own little virtual model train set, but in space. With little green aliens running it. Additionally, I'm autopiloting almost everything with MechJeb and Kramax. It's not that I can't do this stuff. It's that I've been doing it all for over eight years now, and it's not my favorite part of the game. So, if any of this makes the scenario uninteresting to you I apologize in advance.

@TheSaint has been a long-time contributor to the KSP forum community. It's funny because I remember when the threat was made and was hoping to see something would come of the threat. Apparently, a number of you also enjoyed the fruits of TheSaint's labor! If you're not sure what to do next in the game, pay this thread a visit for some inspiration - if it's for new designs for your craft, space stations, or even some mission ideas.

Please note: The thread is image heavy and may cause some issues if you are attempting to view it over a slower Internet connection.

Video-based Fan-fiction, Mission Reports, and Kerbal Space Program-inspired Creative Thread of the Month:

This category features a video or other form of cinematography of a Kerbal mission report using in-game video recorded game play. 

Honorable mentions:

Each month we get so many good nominations to choose from. Sometimes it's a challenge to choose which threads are going to receive the honor of being the Thread of the Month. But because not every thread nominated each month can be selected, there are always those that become honorable mentions. The honorable mentions for this month are:

The honorable mentions for this month may not have made the Thread of The Month, but if you think they might be worthy of another opportunity, please renominate it!

Congratulations to all the winners of the Thread of the Month! We'd like to thank  @Austin_Kerman, @HebaruSan, @Hyperspace Industries, @Kuiper_Belt, @LHACK4142, and the members of the moderation team and staff who nominated this month's contenders. Thank you so much for helping us identify noteworthy threads for this month. We'd appreciate your continued help in the future.

And this month, I want to extend a heartfelt thank you to the community managers, @Ghostii_Space, and to the moderator-in-chief, @Vanamonde for allowing me to be a member of the moderation team. And especially for their trust in allowing me to be the one who volunteers to take on the responsibility of the Thread of the Month. It's an honor to be able to give back to the KSP community in such a manner! Thank you. :)

TO NOMINATE  A THREAD FOR CONSIDERATION: If you find a thread you feel should be considered for next month's thread of the month, then use the "report comment" feature (the three dots on the upper right corner of the comment box) to report the comment. Please put in the text field of the report post "Nomination for thread of the month" and we will do the rest! You can always nominate more than one thread, too.

In case you missed last month's threads of the month, you can click here.

14 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Thanks, it's an honor. I'd really like to give a shout out to the mod makers who make it all possible. I really feel like I'm just showing off all their hard work.

I really wish I was on PC instead of PS4 so I could play with all those amazing mods! I am just jealous that your game looks so beautiful and your craft are so stylish!

• 2 weeks later...

Err, well...that was a surprise when logging in...

I hope anyone who has downloaded and used the various iterations of recolour mods over the years has found enjoyment from them and am humbled.

Edited by Manwith Noname
Removed drunken humour

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.