how do I change the sound of the Mainsail Engine?

Maybe this is more of a coding/programming question, forgive me but I didn't know where else to ask.

I'm just trying to modify the noise the Mainsail Engine makes, but no matter what I do to the Squad\Parts\Engine\liquidEngineMainsail_v2.cfg file, it makes no difference. I'm no programmer but I'm assuming these lines of code control the sound:

EFFECTS
    {
        Thrust
        {
            AUDIO
            {
                clip = Squad/Sounds/sound_rocket_mini
                volume = 0.0 0.0
                volume = 1.0 1.0
                pitch = 0.0 0.0 
                pitch = 0.0 0.0
                loop = true
            }

}
    }

So why is it no matter what I change here, it's never reflected in the engine sound. I F5, reload F9; I  even save and quit the game, it makes no difference. Sometimes changes in CFG files appear immediately after an F9. Not in this case. 

I've always hated the default engine noise, it repeats too much (or am I the only one who hears it repeating?). So I edited the Squad/Sounds/sound_rocket_mini.wav file  - making it longer,  playing with the low/high frequencies etc - and it still doesn't make any difference, even though the WAV file sounds so much different in Wavepad (where I modified it) than in game. No changes I make to these files is reflected in the game, and it's driving me nuts! Just what the heck do any of these lines of code actually do? It's possible I have screwed up the precise formatting of these lines of code, but the only changes I made were to these values. I also checked the file against the default version before over-writing it, they looked identical in Notepad++.

Yes I am a noob, at least when it comes to Unity, programming, coding, etc. :)

On 6/6/2022 at 11:41 PM, TimKerbin said:

I F5, reload F9; I  even save and quit the game, it makes no difference. Sometimes changes in CFG files appear immediately after an F9. Not in this case. 

I think Reload Database from the meta-F12 cheats>Database menu would be the right thing to do.  You'll need to do that from the Space Center view.  Have a look in the Audio section below that - it appears to be a list of all the sounds defined.

I recall having no success attempting to add stock sounds to otherwise silent parts using .cfg alone, but it seems quite reasonable to expect changes to existing part.cfg AUDIO to work.

Try comparing with other engines.   It seems the Mammoth in Size3EngineCluster/part.cfg like many others has more detailed EFFECTS config.   For example you could try the "clip = sound_rocket_spurts" from the running_closed definition.  I've successfully used the Mainsail's Squad/Sounds/sound_rocket_mini audio in place of the Mammoth's sound_rocket_spurts, also the sound_jet_deep worked well.

I'd not tried, but I wonder if it would be possible to transplant other definitions like flameout and engage into the mainsail, or if those definitions are connected to config elsewhere that we're not seeing.

In the end, it may be the Mainsail's age as a part that has meant it's configured in an older, less flexible manner.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.