Real scale star system

Should the kerbol system be real scale, or at least add a star system to KSP 2 that is.  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a real scale star system?

I think the developers should scale the kerbol system (or add a different star system that has real scales) up from it's 0.1 size. Or add a different star system that is real scale. NOT RSS.

Edited by Ryaja
(I know it is not that simple, performance and such)

While it has been confirmed that the Kerbol system will not be changed, we don’t know if there will be any supersized planets in other star systems. But, I wouldn’t count it as likely. 

This has been asked and answered before. The Kerbol system is not changing outside of an art pass. The Kerbol system is intended as the "easy" starting system. Any planetary systems you discover are being designed to provide challenges beyond what the Kerbol system will provide.

56 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

This has been asked and answered before. The Kerbol system is not changing outside of an art pass. The Kerbol system is intended as the "easy" starting system. Any planetary systems you discover are being designed to provide challenges beyond what the Kerbol system will provide.

I changed it to star system. Maybe we could have a configurable starting system if they made a real scale system.

I voted NO.

Not because I don't like the idea of a 'real scale' sized system, I do.   I just don't think it is something that is particularly important to have in the 'stock' game.

21 hours ago, Ryaja said:

I changed it to star system. Maybe we could have a configurable starting system if they made a real scale system.

I doubt that a true scale star system will be in the game. We don't know much about the other star systems that will be in the game. So it's truly unknown what the devs have planned.

On 6/9/2022 at 11:02 PM, BowlerHatGuy2 said:

Nah. I’d rather they just add in RSS via an easter egg or a dlc. IMO the Kerbol system is fine the way it is. A little tweak here or there would be nice but for the most part it’s perfect.

Why buy DLC when the RSS 2 mod will come anyway

On 6/10/2022 at 11:59 PM, Davi SDF said:

I don't think there's need for a Real scale system in stock KSP2, the parts would need to be radically rebalanced to make them usable in the new system.

This, seconded. A real-scale system would be wayyy out of place.

The idea of “real-scale” planets is the Japanese knotweed of KSP2, no matter how many times you try to burn it down it just. keeps. coming. back…

Kerbin orbit velocity just above the atmosphere is about 2200m/s; just above Earth’s atmosphere it’s over 7800m/s. A rocket that can just get to low Earth orbit has the delta-V to fly to the Mun, land and then come back to Kerbin orbit again without aerobraking. KSP parts are woefully underpowered for a 10x upscale, but rebalancing them to work at that scale makes them stupidly overpowered for stock scale. There’s also the not-insignificant issue of how few KSP players can actually fly into orbit, let alone go somewhere else after that; making bigger planets would only make that worse.

3 hours ago, Maria Sirona said:

Why buy DLC when the RSS 2 mod will come anyway

For me, because an 'official' DLC is supporting the ongoing development more directly.  And 'should' be supported and less likely to have compatibility issues as the game gets updates.

3 hours ago, Maria Sirona said:

This, seconded. A real-scale system would be wayyy out of place.

I agree, as a stock inclusion in the base game definitely.  IMO it needs it's own dedicated 'version' or 'add-in' to address all the part balance issues.

Edited by pandaman

5 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

There’s also the not-insignificant issue of how few KSP players can actually fly into orbit, let alone go somewhere else after that; making bigger planets would only make that worse.

I agree with everything else, but 1. this is a tutorial and onboarding issue, and 2. this same argument could be used as ammunition for someone who is against the devs bothering to implement anything beyond the Mun. No-one gets far, why bother with other star systems, or other planets?