Half Blind Mun Mission (Both mission ideas and a challenge)

I've heard of people who have done Mun missions from IVA only, and I decided to replicate it. After nailing it pretty much first try, I decided to make it a bit harder on myself.

I tried landing on the Mun with these restrictions:

• IVA Only
  • F2 GUI turned off
  • No SAS
  • Camera wobble (internal) set to 2

I streamed attempts at this mission: 

And I was successful after about an hour of attempts. The biggest obstacle was the TMI burn. On the practice run I nailed it, straight to a collision course on my first attempt, but on camera, I couldn't do it to save my life!

And I want to to it again, but harder.

The purpose of this thread is twofold. One, you can attempt this challenge or a variant of it yourself, and two, you can suggest additional restrictions to make the mission harder!

I've come up with a few ideas already:

• Set camera wobble via the cfg to a value higher than 2
  • Tie one hand behind your back
  • Use a cockpit with a worse view (which one would be a good starting point?)
  • Launch from a different launch site so I have to worry about inclination

If you have your own ideas, please let me know!

That's a great idea for a challenge! I've done IVA Mun and Duna missions before, with a stock cockpit and the GUI on. With GUI off it's an entirely new level of difficulty. I'm tempted to try it, but I'm currently heavily invested in a different and very difficult KSP challenge (plant a flag at sea level on Eve with a fully reusable craft and no ISRU) so I don't know if I have the motivation to play even more KSP than I've been doing already for the past couple of days.

For an extra challenge, you could try an SRB only Mun landing from IVA. although I'm not sure that is even feasible.

On 6/9/2022 at 6:34 PM, QF9E said:

I'm currently heavily invested in a different and very difficult KSP challenge (plant a flag at sea level on Eve with a fully reusable craft and no ISRU)

If you can use DLC parts then that’s hard but not TOO hard, and if you can’t use DLC parts that’s impossible, right?

4 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

If you can use DLC parts then that’s hard but not TOO hard, and if you can’t use DLC parts that’s impossible, right?

I've only just completed this mission, and I found it one of the hardest things I've ever done in KSP, even with DLC parts. The problem with not using ISRU is that Eve atmospheric entry is much harder as your craft is very heavy fully fueled.

I've seen a few videos of fully reusable Eve landers that did not use DLC, but I don't know if there are any out there that do not use ISRU.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.