Tumbling (constant pitch) For Gravity Versus Rolling (constant roll) For Gravity

so far all the science has been done with small scale centrifuges. having seen a carny do the humpty hump on the wall of a spun up graviton (an excellent piece of showmanship mind you) way back in the 90s. i think the whole large centrifuge concept has legs. its really just a matter of design optimization. i like the idea of the ring ship, like the endurance from interstellar. centrifuge has other benefits besides crew comfort. for example you can solve a lot of tank balancing and ullage concerns. its easier to move fuel around when it has a down. 

this is probibly not on the timetable for a mars mission though. i do think keeping a couple tethered starships at roughly mars gravity would help give the astronauts their mars legs. you don't want to get to mars and find your crew cant get out of their couches and are unable to do essential mission tasks. not to mention the second ship gives you some redundancy and perhaps some extra cargo capacity, more emergency consumables and the like.  the mars mission can be the beta test for future centrifuge concepts and gives the astronauts some science experiments to do during the long trip. 

Edited by Nuke

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.