[1.12.3] SOL ---v0.12 "Blue Marble" (06/12/2022)

G'th

Just now, SpaceFace545 said:

He’ssss back!!!

Indeed. 

I will note that I won't be addressing any immediate issues atm, as it is late and I wish to sleep. Or may be goof off and play other video games. Who knows. 

BUT

What I am looking for atm in terms of feedback, is any weird issues you find. Things like seams where they shouldn't be (other than the big one in Asia; I know about that one, not sure how to fix it), weird colors that you think don't look right, etc etc. 

Features on the surface are largely not addressed by this mod at this time. This is because its going to take considerable effort for me to both learn and develop resources to bring these up, and for my personal needs for the mod, I just don't need them. That time will come once the settings for the entire system are in place. 

Also, another question I anticipate is RSS compatibility. Currently, its a no. However, it wouldn't be that difficult to make happen. If someone who already has an RSS install going wants to get with me, I can guide them on what should go where and how to address any issues. 

15 minutes ago, G'th said:

...Vibrance's philosophy is in presenting a "False Color" version of the Solar System, that mimics the sorts of visuals we get from NASA images that are enhanced for scientific purposes, but look dramatically prettier than the planets do to the naked eye. Earth does not have any such images (that I know of), but the other bodies do, and so for Earth I took artistic liberty in its settings for this variant...

Congrats on release.

If you want examples of false color for Earth, look up "Landsat". It's a long term NASA and US Geological Survey project using many satellites. That's not to say you should adjust Vibrance to look like Landsat images. Scientists use a variety of color palettes to emphasize different things. https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/FalseColor

Just now, DeadJohn said:

Congrats on release.

If you want examples of false color for Earth, look up "Landsat". It's a long term NASA and US Geological Survey project using many satellites. That's not to say you should adjust Vibrance to look like Landsat images. Scientists use a variety of color palettes to emphasize different things. https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/FalseColor

Oh snap. 

earthinfrared_mes_2005214.jpg

Certainly interesting to see that this does happen. But yeah definitely not twinging the planet to be like that lol. Definitely a reason these kinds of photos don't show up everywhere like false colors of the Moon or Jupiter do. 

Well I put together a pretty minimal install, used the 8k textures, and I'm getting about 18 fps on ascent, likely due in part to the flood of nullrefs. 128MB log file before reaching orbit.

I normally see between 30-40 fps during ascent with my full suite of 90ish mods and fully non-stock vehicles.

Sorry no real feedback on the look of things, not really gonna get that far with this framerate. 

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Well I put together a pretty minimal install, used the 8k textures, and I'm getting about 18 fps on ascent, likely due in part to the flood of nullrefs. 128MB log file before reaching orbit.

I normally see between 30-40 fps during ascent with my full suite of 90ish mods and fully non-stock vehicles.

Sorry no real feedback on the look of things, not really gonna get that far with this framerate. 

yeah Im working on tracking this down now. Gonna brute force it and see what precisely is causing it, as I can say its something in SOL, but its not clear what. 

Found it. Its something in my scatterer config. Made some tweaks and we'll see if that fixes it, push comes to shove I might just have to rebuild it which won't be difficult.

Nullref spam is gone, framerate on the ground very much improved.

Next mystery is below. This doesn't happen with my normal KSRSS install. Let me know if you want a folder dif of my KSRSS for Sol, and my working default one - but I just followed the instructions in the readme, and double checked them.

Any ideas?

edit: forgot to mention that zooming out a little more fades in scaled space textures and then looks normal.

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers

23 hours ago, G'th said:

[snip]

I'm Done. love this. 

w a i t   w h a t   n o  ,   d o n  ' t    d  o    t  h i s   t o   m e

[snip]

alright people we need to get all the folders back together, anyone have the base folder? i have the hot fix patch and the 16k textures