Suggestion - Square orbits (Sun - Planet - Moon system)

In a sun - planet - moon system, the orbit of the moon can look like a square relative to the star, as was demonstrated in this video.

It would be quite a sight if, from the moon, you could time-warp and see yourself going further, and closer to the star in a square shape.

13 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Does the guy ever get around to how massive the planet would need to be for the moon to have such a big orbit and the influence such a massive planet would have on its parent star? Massive doubts on my end.

Yes, around the 16 minute mark:

Spoiler

jdEdr6g.png

He covers the Hill sphere right after that.

the "problem" is that the square orbit shown in the video is the orbit of the object in relation to the sun, in KSP the orbit of your object that is shown is relative to the nearest body, so you would see the orbit around in Kerbin, but not in Kerbol

On 6/12/2022 at 5:32 AM, Pi0neer said:

It would be quite a sight if, from the moon, you could time-warp and see yourself going further, and closer to the star in a square shape.

Even if all the problems mentioned above (and more will no doubt be posted below) were overcome, I can't imagine this as anything more than an oh-yeah-that's-kinda-cool thing.  Probably, no one would even look at it more than once or twice.  Not at all worth the difficulty of implementation IMO.

1 hour ago, Ember12 said:

I can't imagine this as anything more than an oh-yeah-that's-kinda-cool thing.  Probably, no one would even look at it more than once or twice.  Not at all worth the difficulty of implementation IMO.

It would be worth it in a multiplayer setting, if other people would see the orbit shape.

26 minutes ago, Vl3d said:
2 hours ago, Ember12 said:

I can't imagine this as anything more than an oh-yeah-that's-kinda-cool thing.  Probably, no one would even look at it more than once or twice.  Not at all worth the difficulty of implementation IMO.

It would be worth it in a multiplayer setting, if other people would see the orbit shape.

Why would people care any more in a multiplayer setting than a single player setting?

10 minutes ago, Vl3d said:
13 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Do exactly what for rep?

Make square orbits (or other Fourier drawings).

Refer back to:

17 hours ago, Ember12 said:

I can't imagine this as anything more than an oh-yeah-that's-kinda-cool thing.  Probably, no one would even look at it more than once or twice.

The video uploader has a sequel out now using a Fourier series to get arbitrarily close to square-ness, at the cost of non-physicality (dozens of "moons" orbiting each other in an overlapping hierarchy that ignores Hill spheres):