VAB and SPH editors crash whenever I enter them. I suspect it's an issue with tweak scale or its dependencies.

I don't know for sure if this is the problem, but you have TUFX installed...it's throwing a bunch of errors, and as far as I know it's only officially supported on windows.  Was it working properly for you before installing tweakscale?

54 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

I don't know for sure if this is the problem, but you have TUFX installed...it's throwing a bunch of errors, and as far as I know it's only officially supported on windows.  Was it working properly for you before installing tweakscale?

Yeah it was always working. I’ve never had any issues with it.

On 6/12/2022 at 11:56 PM, SpaceFace545 said:

Whenever I enter the editor it just crashes and I can't do anything or exit the editor. I am forced to quit the game to continue. This happened after I just installed tweakscale and recall and never happened without these mods. 

LOG:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mbjulslaboh0ku/KSP.log?dl=0

Hi! It's me, Mari… uh.. Lisias. :)

Can you make me a favour? MechJeb2 mangles the KSP.log to the point I can't diagnose anything on it.

Can you please temporarily remove MechJeb2, run KSP and USING A DISPOSABLE SAVEGAME (or a copy of the one you are using), reproduce the problem and then send me a new KSP.log? After that you can install MJ2 back - the only problem on MJ2 is that it filters some Exceptions, and I need them all (and on the exact moment they happens) to diagnose the problem.

Cheers!

— — EDITED — — 

(I had misunderstood the thing, whatever I wrote on the spoiler is plain wrong)

Spoiler
On 6/13/2022 at 12:20 AM, JonnyOThan said:

Last time I used it, it was working fine on a Mac.!

0001.jpg

Edited by Lisias
WHoopsy… I was wrong...

1 hour ago, JonnyOThan said:

@Lisiasthat looks like TU, not TUFX

You are right. I'm downloading it on my Mac just to see what happens.

Thanks for the heads up!

— — POST EDIT — — 

@JonnyOThan had nailed it, the source of the problem is, indeed, TUFX.

@SpaceFace545, remove TUFX from your GameData. This will prevent some exceptions that can be the trigger for the problems you are having!

Edited by Lisias
post edit

1 hour ago, Rutabaga22 said:

I see you have learned from your past mistakes... /j

Except by grammars. By some reason, my keyboard insists on typing an 'N' where none is needed! :P

On 6/13/2022 at 12:16 AM, SpaceFace545 said:

Yeah it was always working. I’ve never had any issues with it.

If you recently updated TUFX to the latest version, it’s possible some of the new stuff is no longer compatible. I noticed some errors about the scattering system, which is definitely new.  You should at least try to run the game without TUFX, and then try the previous version if that worked.

On 6/14/2022 at 12:17 PM, Lisias said:

Hi! It's me, Mari… uh.. Lisias. :)

Can you make me a favour? MechJeb2 mangles the KSP.log to the point I can't diagnose anything on it.

Can you please temporarily remove MechJeb2, run KSP and USING A DISPOSABLE SAVEGAME (or a copy of the one you are using), reproduce the problem and then send me a new KSP.log? After that you can install MJ2 back - the only problem on MJ2 is that it filters some Exceptions, and I need them all (and on the exact moment they happens) to diagnose the problem.

Cheers!

— — EDITED — — 

(I had misunderstood the thing, whatever I wrote on the spoiler is plain wrong)

Reveal hidden contents

Last time I used it, it was working fine on a Mac.!

0001.jpg

So here is a log from a game without mechjeb and nearly all the mods that influence the editor including editor extensions and filter extensions. TUFX was also removed but to no avail.

LOG: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mbjulslaboh0ku/KSP.log?dl=0

1 hour ago, SpaceFace545 said:

So here is a log from a game without mechjeb and nearly all the mods that influence the editor including editor extensions and filter extensions. TUFX was also removed but to no avail.

Well… The problem appears to be SystemHeat:

[LOG 23:53:06.007] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Started loading
[LOG 23:53:06.007] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Loading models
[LOG 23:53:06.008] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Loaded 12 models
[LOG 23:53:06.008] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Loading textures
[LOG 23:53:06.009] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Loaded 27 textures
[LOG 23:53:06.009] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Loading shaders
[LOG 23:53:06.011] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Loaded 11 shaders
[LOG 23:53:06.011] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Finished loading
[EXC 23:53:06.012] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
        SystemHeat.SystemHeatEditor.FixedUpdate () (at <faa8f438e27f4148b7041ce82be5b9c9>:0)
        UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
        ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
        UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

I emphasised appears because sometimes the real culprit is someone else that screws up something on someone else's data, and so that someone's else ends up taking the blame.

One possible suspect is TextureUnlimited:

[LOG 23:52:53.792] [HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From SPACECENTER to EDITOR (Async) =====================
<yada yada yada>
[LOG 23:53:03.159] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'TexturesUnlimitedDebug' from assembly 'TexturesUnlimited'
[EXC 23:53:03.162] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
        KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncher.RemoveModApplication (KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncherButton button) (at <46478292153440df94e04a2a2ddd1062>:0
        KSPShaderTools.Addon.TexturesUnlimitedDebug.Awake () (at <d05d146f0f32458d9a30cf17e61f35a8>:0)
        ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
        UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
        AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
        AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
        AddonLoader:OnLevelLoaded(GameScenes)
        AddonLoader:OnSceneLoaded(Scene, LoadSceneMode)
        UnityEngine.SceneManagement.SceneManager:Internal_SceneLoaded(Scene, LoadSceneMode)

When a unhandled exception happens on C#, the current thread is killed - leaving unfinished business that could lead someone else to bork later (as the dude was counting with all that business to be done!).

Since I don't now if this Exception on TextureUnlimited is handled or unhandled, it's a suspect.

Remove TextureUnlimited from your rig and try again. With a bit of luck, this will fix the SystemHeat problem (that it's what is screwing you after all).

If even by removing TextureUnlimited the problem still happens, then it's almost sure that SystemHeat is the culprit itself (and not a bystander caught in the splash damage). So you will need to remove SystemHeat (and everything that relies on it  - the NearFuture* addons, as well the FarFuture one) and see what happens.

If the problem is solved by removing SystemHeat, you will need to ask SystemHeat's maintainer for help as I can't further assist you on fixing the thing.

If the problem still persists, send me another KSP.log and I will keep digging.

Edited by Lisias
Tyops as usulla...

14 hours ago, Lisias said:

Well… The problem appears to be SystemHeat:

[LOG 23:53:06.007] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Started loading
[LOG 23:53:06.007] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Loading models
[LOG 23:53:06.008] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Loaded 12 models
[LOG 23:53:06.008] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Loading textures
[LOG 23:53:06.009] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Loaded 27 textures
[LOG 23:53:06.009] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Loading shaders
[LOG 23:53:06.011] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Loaded 11 shaders
[LOG 23:53:06.011] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Finished loading
[EXC 23:53:06.012] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
        SystemHeat.SystemHeatEditor.FixedUpdate () (at <faa8f438e27f4148b7041ce82be5b9c9>:0)
        UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

I emphasised appears because sometimes the real culprit is someone else that screws up something on someone else's data, and so that someone's else ends up taking the blame.

One possible suspect is TextureUnlimited:

[LOG 23:52:53.792] [HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From SPACECENTER to EDITOR (Async) =====================
<yada yada yada>
[LOG 23:53:03.159] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'TexturesUnlimitedDebug' from assembly 'TexturesUnlimited'
[EXC 23:53:03.162] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
        KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncher.RemoveModApplication (KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncherButton button) (at <46478292153440df94e04a2a2ddd1062>:0
        KSPShaderTools.Addon.TexturesUnlimitedDebug.Awake () (at <d05d146f0f32458d9a30cf17e61f35a8>:0)
        UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
        AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
        AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
        AddonLoader:OnLevelLoaded(GameScenes)
        AddonLoader:OnSceneLoaded(Scene, LoadSceneMode)
        UnityEngine.SceneManagement.SceneManager:Internal_SceneLoaded(Scene, LoadSceneMode)

When a unhandled exception happens on C#, the current thread is killed - leaving unfinished business that could lead someone else to bork later (as the dude was counting with all that business to be done!).

Since I don't now if this Exception on TextureUnlimited is handled or unhandled, it's a suspect.

Remove TextureUnlimited from your rig and try again. With a bit of luck, this will fix the SystemHeat problem (that it's what is screwing you after all).

If even by removing TextureUnlimited the problem still happens, then it's almost sure that SystemHeat is the culprit itself (and not a bystander caught in the splash damage). So you will need to remove SystemHeat (and everything that relies on it  - the NearFuture* addons, as well the FarFuture one) and see what happens.

If the problem is solved by removing SystemHeat, you will need to ask SystemHeat's maintainer for help as I can't further assist you on fixing the thing.

If the problem still persists, send me another KSP.log and I will keep digging.

So as KSP always ends p working out, this wasn't the solution. 

here is the log as usual: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mbjulslaboh0ku/KSP.log?dl=0

34 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

So as KSP always ends p working out, this wasn't the solution. 

here is the log as usual: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mbjulslaboh0ku/KSP.log?dl=0

Well… There's no suspect left but BlueDogBureau itself now:

[LOG 15:22:43.032] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Bluedog_DB/Parts/ProbeExpansion/OAO/bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument/bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument_SD'
[WRN 15:22:43.038] PartLoader Warning: Variable techtag not found in Part
[ERR 15:22:43.049] Module ModuleSpaceDustTelescope threw during OnLoad: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at SpaceDust.InstrumentSlot..ctor (ConfigNode node) [0x0004d] in <b70eada172354af49f9646082edb0f34>:0
  at SpaceDust.ModuleSpaceDustTelescope.OnLoad (ConfigNode node) [0x00034] in <b70eada172354af49f9646082edb0f34>:0
  at PartModule.Load (ConfigNode node) [0x001ab] in <46478292153440df94e04a2a2ddd1062>:0

And this is everything that ever touched this part (bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument_SD)

[LOG 15:20:04.005] Applying update Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/Rescale/BlueSmurff/@PART[bluedog*,Bluedog*]:FOR[zzzBluedog_DB_1] to Bluedog_DB/Parts/ProbeExpansion/OAO/bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument.cfg/PART[bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument_SD]
[LOG 15:20:04.610] Applying update Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/Rescale/BlueSmurff/@PART[bluedog*,Bluedog*]:FOR[zzzBluedog_DB_9] to Bluedog_DB/Parts/ProbeExpansion/OAO/bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument.cfg/PART[bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument_SD]
[LOG 15:20:05.076] Applying update Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/RemoveRealNamesExtraFields/@PART[bluedog*]:LAST[Bluedog_DB] to Bluedog_DB/Parts/ProbeExpansion/OAO/bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument.cfg/PART[bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument_SD]
[LOG 15:20:05.789] Applying update 999_KSP-Recall/patches/attached-on-editor/@PART[*]:NEEDS[KSPRECALL-ATTACHED-ON-EDITOR,TweakScale]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleAsteroid],!MODULE[ModuleComet],!MODULE[KerbalEVA]]:FINAL to Bluedog_DB/Parts/ProbeExpansion/OAO/bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument.cfg/PART[bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument_SD]
[LOG 15:22:43.032] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Bluedog_DB/Parts/ProbeExpansion/OAO/bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument/bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument_SD'
[LOG 15:22:43.055] PartLoader: Part 'Bluedog_DB/Parts/ProbeExpansion/OAO/bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument/bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument_SD' has no database record. Creating.

I sincerely doubt this will change anything, but prudence recommends to remove KSP-Recall and TweakScale (as it depends on KSP-Recall on KSP 1.12.x) and fire up KSP again.

There's two possibilities:

1. BDB borks the same, and then you will need to reach BDB guys to ask for help - as I don't have the slightest idea about what could be happening… (or remove BDB at all)
  2. BDB works fine, and then I'm screwed because somehow AttachedOnEditor is inducing these parts to bork (how, I can't even dream about - being the reason I would be screwed…)

In a way or another, please send me a new KSP.log so I can try to diagnose the problem if it's related to Recall, or perhaps try some stunt on BDB if not. Send me the ModuleManager.ConfigCache also this time.

Good luck!

32 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Well… There's no suspect left but BlueDogBureau itself now:

[WRN 15:22:43.038] PartLoader Warning: Variable techtag not found in Part
[ERR 15:22:43.049] Module ModuleSpaceDustTelescope threw during OnLoad: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at SpaceDust.InstrumentSlot..ctor (ConfigNode node) [0x0004d] in <b70eada172354af49f9646082edb0f34>:0
  at SpaceDust.ModuleSpaceDustTelescope.OnLoad (ConfigNode node) [0x00034] in <b70eada172354af49f9646082edb0f34>:0
  at PartModule.Load (ConfigNode node) [0x001ab] in <46478292153440df94e04a2a2ddd1062>:0

And this is everything that ever touched this part (bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument_SD)

[LOG 15:20:04.005] Applying update Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/Rescale/BlueSmurff/@PART[bluedog*,Bluedog*]:FOR[zzzBluedog_DB_1] to Bluedog_DB/Parts/ProbeExpansion/OAO/bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument.cfg/PART[bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument_SD]
[LOG 15:20:04.610] Applying update Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/Rescale/BlueSmurff/@PART[bluedog*,Bluedog*]:FOR[zzzBluedog_DB_9] to Bluedog_DB/Parts/ProbeExpansion/OAO/bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument.cfg/PART[bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument_SD]
[LOG 15:20:05.076] Applying update Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/RemoveRealNamesExtraFields/@PART[bluedog*]:LAST[Bluedog_DB] to Bluedog_DB/Parts/ProbeExpansion/OAO/bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument.cfg/PART[bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument_SD]
[LOG 15:20:05.789] Applying update 999_KSP-Recall/patches/attached-on-editor/@PART[*]:NEEDS[KSPRECALL-ATTACHED-ON-EDITOR,TweakScale]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleAsteroid],!MODULE[ModuleComet],!MODULE[KerbalEVA]]:FINAL to Bluedog_DB/Parts/ProbeExpansion/OAO/bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument.cfg/PART[bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument_SD]
[LOG 15:22:43.055] PartLoader: Part 'Bluedog_DB/Parts/ProbeExpansion/OAO/bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument/bluedog_OAO3_PEP_instrument_SD' has no database record. Creating.

I sincerely doubt this will change anything, but prudence recommends to remove KSP-Recall and TweakScale (as it depends on KSP-Recall on KSP 1.12.x) and fire up KSP again.

There's two possibilities:

1. BDB borks the same, and then you will need to reach BDB guys to ask for help - as I don't have the slightest idea about what could be happening… (or remove BDB at all)
  2. BDB works fine, and then I'm screwed because somehow AttachedOnEditor is inducing these parts to bork (how, I can't even dream about - being the reason I would be screwed…)

In a way or another, please send me a new KSP.log so I can try to diagnose the problem if it's related to Recall, or perhaps try some stunt on BDB if not. Send me the ModuleManager.ConfigCache also this time.

Good luck!

So I removed BDB and the issue still happened, I've been removing and tinkering with plenty of mods so I have a sense that the issue is coming from tweascale or recall. 

Game with tweak scale and recall installed, BDB installed:

Module Manager Config Cache: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2avqd7c00cxho0p/ModuleManager.ConfigCache?dl=0

Game without tweak scale and recall but BDB is installed:

Module Manager Config Cache: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2avqd7c00cxho0p/ModuleManager.ConfigCache?dl=0

Thanks again, it's so nice of you to help me so much

1 hour ago, SpaceFace545 said:

So I removed BDB and the issue still happened, I've been removing and tinkering with plenty of mods so I have a sense that the issue is coming from tweascale or recall. 

Game with tweak scale and recall installed, BDB installed:

Game without tweak scale and recall but BDB is installed:

Thanks again, it's so nice of you to help me so much

You published the same logs (with ts+Recall and DBD) twice! :)

Lets try gain:

1) Remove TweakScale and Recall, Keep DBD. Fire up KSP, check for the problem, quit KSP and send me the KSP.log and ModuleManager.ConfigCache

And later:

2) Reinstall TweakScale and Recall, Remove DBD. Fire up KSP, check for the problem, quit KSP and send me the KSP.log and ModuleManager.ConfigCache

Doing this way, I can compare the different behavirours with this last one that you sent (with all of them). Doing this 3-way "diff", I expect to zero in on the real troublemaker, instead of firing on potentially innocent ducks that had the bad luck of flying on the wrong time in the wrong place. ;)

(welcome, by the way!)

Cheers!

19 minutes ago, Lisias said:

You published the same logs (with ts+Recall and DBD) twice! :)

Lets try gain:

1) Remove TweakScale and Recall, Keep DBD. Fire up KSP, check for the problem, quit KSP and send me the KSP.log and ModuleManager.ConfigCache

And later:

2) Reinstall TweakScale and Recall, Remove DBD. Fire up KSP, check for the problem, quit KSP and send me the KSP.log and ModuleManager.ConfigCache

Doing this way, I can compare the different behavirours with this last one that you sent (with all of them). Doing this 3-way "diff", I expect to zero in on the real troublemaker, instead of firing on potentially innocent ducks that had the bad luck of flying on the wrong time in the wrong place. ;)

(welcome, by the way!)

Cheers!

1) BDB but no Tweakscale/Recall

LOG: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pyqb401dntdh01p/KSP.log?dl=0

Config Cache: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tftmw848on1v9n0/ModuleManager.ConfigCache?dl=0

2) Tweakscale/Recall but no BDB

LOG: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gflyj9ipd0psjx7/KSP.log?dl=0

Config Cache: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hors5mfcx61xuo4/ModuleManager.ConfigCache?dl=0

59 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

I got the (2) files, but these ones above returned me a "This item was deleted". Both of them.

In a way or another, without BDB no Exception was found (other than a known harmless one from scatterer).

So, in fact, we have a problem on BDB - but without that files, I can't try to zeroin on the real problem. Sometimes I get lucky and manage to cook a work around. :) 

18 hours ago, Lisias said:

I got the (2) files, but these ones above returned me a "This item was deleted". Both of them.

In a way or another, without BDB no Exception was found (other than a known harmless one from scatterer).

So, in fact, we have a problem on BDB - but without that files, I can't try to zeroin on the real problem. Sometimes I get lucky and manage to cook a work around. :) 

How is the issue with BDB if tweak scale and recall are causing an issue no matter if BDB is installed?

28 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

How is the issue with BDB if tweak scale and recall are causing an issue no matter if BDB is installed?

Because TweakScale and Recall are not causing an issue. They are the ones that are telling you about the issues.

Again, please re-read what I wrote about:

18 hours ago, Lisias said:

I need that files because I need to know why BDB is borking. It may be related to something like this other case:

In which was determined that something on a 3rd party was triggering something on the KSP Upgrade Pipeline, that was so borking loading crafts.

And this is the reason I need a test on your rig (where the problem is known to happen) using DBD but not Recall and TweakScale - so I can tell the difference and have an idea about what to do.

1 hour ago, JonnyOThan said:

Also it looked like the issues with BDB were in a call stack related to SpaceDust, which is a separate mod altogether.

Didn't knew about.

In a way or another, we manage to zero in the problem, we can give the BDB guys a huge help on the diagnosis - saving time that will lead to a faster fix!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.