All hatches are obstructed. except that they are not

B17a1lZ.png

Trying to eva with my crew, the message in italian says hatches are obstructed, can't get out.

except, hatches are not obstructed. the Mk2 landing can has 2 hatches, on the top and on the back. the one on top is obstructed by the docking port, but the hatch in the back is completely free (can't best be appreciated from this angle, but trust me, there is nothing covering that hatch). And I actually tested this vehicle previously, and it worked, the crew just got out from the back. And then I got this problem, but I removed a ladder and afterwards it worked. and now it doesn't work anymore.

ANyone knows how to fix this bug?

52 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

except, hatches are not obstructed. the Mk2 landing can has 2 hatches, on the top and on the back. the one on top is obstructed by the docking port, but the hatch in the back is completely free (can't best be appreciated from this angle, but trust me, there is nothing covering that hatch).

Is there a cargo bay or a fairing (base) near that hatch, or is the part slightly clipped into one? And did you stage/decouple/(un)dock something since the last time you tried to EVA? Or even just reload a quicksave? That might be the source of the issue: if a crewed part is considered shielded/occluded by a bay/fairing, it won't allow use of the hatches, ANY hatches on that part.

Unfortunately if there is a way to fix it, I'm not aware of it - in all cases where I encountered this, that part would no longer allow EVA regardless of what I tried, with the same message you're showing.

Spoiler

They added a bit of code at some point that checks parts for being 'occluded' by cargo bay/fairing shielding, with the intent of making the game a bit more realistic. Unfortunately, that code gets it wrong more often than right. One of the most annoying ... let's call it 'features' ... of that code is that it can randomly decide after a decoupling or (un)docking event that a part that was considered 'not occluded' before, is now somehow occluded and so is suddenly no longer allowed to do whatever it is they felt is 'unrealistic' when in a cargo bay or fairing. Even when there is visually no difference visible in the craft.

I know I haven't made myself popular with them by constantly asking for that code to be removed entirely, but this is one of the reasons why.

no cargo bays or fairings anywhere near close. there are a lots of parts attached to that crew pod, and though i did not intentionally clip anything, something may be slightly clipped. and yes, there was docking and undocking involved.

Anyway, I did "solve" the problem creatively: I did move the docking port to another position, now the crew can use the top hatch.

for that, I had to grab the rover with a claw, because after it undocks the docking port becomes the root part.

and for that, I had to send another engineer from kerbal. but it works, better than the alternative

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.