Suggestions for New "core team" characters paying tribute to remarkable Kerb.. I mean… humans of the past.

Here is mine: a new female Kerbal, mechanic (or engineer) named Gladys Kerman.

The reason? Gladys Ingle!

Caution: early 20 century background music! :sticktongue:

"Whoa, dear! Don't hit the moon! No, dear . . . Not yet, but soon!"

Spoiler

Edited by Lisias
gee…. mistyped Kerman to Kerbal… fixed!

On 6/24/2022 at 8:12 PM, Vl3d said:

Why not Gladys Kingle?

I spent a good pair of hours googgling about "Kingle" thinking you were suggesting some other personality! :sticktongue:

Oukey. Time to go to bed. (Well played, Sir! Well played! :D)

Edited by Lisias
Kraken damned Autocompletes

8 hours ago, Maria Sirona said:

You mean googling?

This time I'm innocent! It was the mobile's autocomplete, I swear!!! :D

(krakens, krakens, krakens everywhere!!! :P )

Edited by Lisias
:P

11 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I'd like to see Carl Sagan as some sort of science advisor when it comes to a science or career mode game and where deep space exploration missions are involved. :)

I know it wouldn't fit with the naming convention, but Kerbal Sagan makes me laff

8 hours ago, Ember12 said:

I would love a rocket scientist named "Sergei Kerbalyov" after Sergei Korolyov.

Korolyov, Korolov, Korolev..? I've seen it spelt a few different ways, all of them ripe for Kerbal-ification.

There's also Tsiolkovsky, of rocket equation fame, whose name is easily butchered altered to Tsiolkerbsky.

If there's a Woomerang (referring to Woomera, site of a grand total of two orbital launches, one successful) then surely a Kerou (referring to Kourou) would be feasible; couldn't be worse than the alphabet soup that is Baikerbanur, though why that wasn't called Baikernur is beyond me. Perhaps a Naro-related launchsite on that conspicuously Korea-looking peninsula east of the KSC?

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

conspicuously Korea-looking peninsula

The Kaunis peninsula as i like to call it. In finnish, korea is not just the peninsula, but also a word that means beautiful or neat, and kaunis is literally finnish for beautiful. 

5 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Korolyov, Korolov, Korolev..? I've seen it spelt a few different ways, all of them ripe for Kerbal-ification.

The ambiguity is always in the part between the L and the V.  The Russian letter is ё, which ALWAYS says "yo".   As far as I know, the only reason why anyone writes it as "Korolev"  is because the letter looks like an e.  Korolov is okay, but it omits the y sound.  Devs:  If you use something like this, please spell it with a yo!

As you may have gathered, this is something of a pet peeve of mine.

Thanks for the clarification.  To be absolutely clear about what I meant:  In many languages, if a syllable does not have emphasis, it is pronounced differently.  For instance, "instance" is pronounced "IN-stuhns" not "IN-stans".  If Russian, if the letter ё (yo) is in a word, it is always stressed.  Just how the language works.  In other Cyrillic-using languages, this may not be the case.  So, while ё is pronounced fully in Russian, it may be pronounced differently in other languages where it is not necessarily stressed.  So I thought that the clarification as Russian might be helpful.

Edited by Ember12
Added "necessarily"

Not at all! I personally hope that, if we get a photo library of the things the telescopes we have picked up, they are part of Kepler Kerman's photo book (or Kedwin Kubble's?)

• 1 month later...