Old movies to show your kids of all ages....

StrandedonEarth

My boys are teenagers, and don't get many of the references us fogeys come up with. So I'm trying to show them some of the "oldies" from my youth. Naturally the Star Wars OT and PT was covered back in their primary years, but there are many others that haven't completely saturated modern culture.

Recently, while camping (er, glamping) near Hope, BC and seeing the carving of the character that made the town somewhat famous, I introduced them to First Blood, which they enjoyed. Other movies I have on my list for future reference are Gremlins ("Bright light! Bright light!" after a car goes by while trying to stargaze) and Ferris Bueller's Day Off. (just cuz). Army of Darkness should probably be on that list too...

Any other suggestions, or tales of what favorite movies you just had to (or still have to) show your kids?

Critters (1..)
Leprechaun (1..)
WarGames (just4lulz, Ye Olde Tech)
Conan trilogy (Conan 1, 2, Red Sonya)
Short Circuit (1,2)
Buck Rogers in XXV century
Flash Gordon (1980) + Masters of the Universe
Planetes
Visitors (1980s)
MadMax 2,3
Princess Bride
Robocop 1-3
Highlander 1,3
Waterworld
Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone
Hangar 18
Escape from N.Y/L.A.
Waxwork (1,2)

Edited by kerbiloid

i grew up with slasher flicks. back then nobody gave a rats left buttock if you let your 5 year olds watch "scary" movies. of course by the time i was 10 i was so desensitized to the horror genre  that they were almost comedy at that point. 

Hmm, I can't remember if they've seen the original Ghostbusters. I think they saw Raiders of the Lost Ark back in the console LEGO Indiana Jones days. But yeah, I'll have to pull out Robocop and The Road Warrior at some point, as well as Jaws and some Monty Python. Lots of other good suggestions here, but Waterworld? Really? If I want to show them Costner there are much better ones out there, like The Untouchables. This list should keep them busy for awhile. I'll tend to show them the first (or best) one and let them seek out the sequels if they so desire....

Some of the trouble with many older movies (eg The Breakfast Club) is that the pacing just doesn't keep up with modern attention spans, which cut their teeth on Star Wars and Marvel movies

My grown-up daughter enjoyed The Lost Boys when her BF introduced her to it. An easy choice, given young women and vampires these days...

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

i grew up with slasher flicks. back then nobody gave a rats left buttock if you let your 5 year olds watch "scary" movies. of course by the time i was 10 i was so desensitized to the horror genre  that they were almost comedy at that point. 

Yeah, and I had seen Porky's and Fast Times at Ridgemont High (and similar) several times before I was 13, as well as many of the Friday the 13th's. My uncle let us watch The Texas Chainsaw Massacre...

In this same vein, our family just finished watching Firefly last night. Going to block out time this week to watch Serenity. We were watching Babylon 5, but I interrupted that because we started a Traveller campaign and, well, Firefly is the quintessential Traveller show. (There are persistent rumors that Joss Whedon based it at least in part on his experiences playing Traveller in college.)

So, I know it's not a movie, but I'll throw Firefly in the mix. It's only fourteen episodes. Shiny!

On 6/26/2022 at 2:11 PM, kerbiloid said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Red Dawn

While you joke... one kid's mom decided this was an appropiate movie for an 11 year old's sleep over birthday party.    We loved it at the time, but man, looking back on it....   It once held the record for the most violent movie produced. 

On 6/26/2022 at 7:18 PM, TheSaint said:

The Abyss

Great movie.   Still is.

Goonies

On 6/27/2022 at 1:15 PM, TheSaint said:

So, I know it's not a movie, but I'll throw Firefly in the mix. It's only fourteen episodes. Shiny!

And Serenity.

On 6/26/2022 at 6:36 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

Some of the trouble with many older movies (eg The Breakfast Club) is that the pacing just doesn't keep up with modern attention spans, which cut their teeth on Star Wars and Marvel movies

My teens liked it.

Think my wife and daughter watched 16 Candles as well.

My son watched Zulu with me the other night :D (I love that movie).

24 minutes ago, tater said:

My teens liked it.

Think my wife and daughter watched 16 Candles as well.

My son watched Zulu with me the other night :D (I love that movie).

Zulu is amazing.

When I was a teen, pre-teen even, we used to go to game conventions once or twice a year. (They still hold them! Orccon, Gateway. Gamex wasn't a thing back then.) And one of the traditions back then was a movie room, they ran movies practically 24 hours a day. So when you were burned out on playing D&D or wargames at 2:00 in the morning you could just go watch a movie. So I saw all kinds of movies that I would never have seen at that age. Zulu was a perennial favorite, that's what made me think of it. I was probably 12 or 13 when I sat down and watched Seven Samurai for the first time there, another amazing movie. Lots of kung fu movies. That was where I saw Rocky Horror Picture Show for the first time, that was an eye-opener at that age. Good times. :D

3 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Rocky Horror Picture Show

Seeing that on TV just isn't the same. My buddy's sister in HS was into that movie, so we all went one night at midnight. Squirt guns, toast, newspaper, etc. Guess my friend and I were more in the "Brad" camp, his sis dressed the part rather more...

If my buddy had ever found out where that ended up going, we might have had to have a meeting at dawn, lol.

Edited by tater

15 minutes ago, tater said:

Seeing that on TV just isn't the same. My buddy's sister in HS was into that movie, so we all went one night at midnight. Squirt guns, toast, newspaper, etc. Guess my friend and I were more in the "Brad" camp, his sis dressed the part rather more...

If my buddy had ever found out where that ended up going, we might have had to have a meeting at dawn, lol.

If I remember correctly, the first year the convention showed Rocky Horror in the movie room, they had props and costumes. And the hotel management was very unhappy about the state of the movie room afterwards. So the rule afterwards (which is when I saw it) was no props or costumes. But I did get to experience the full audience participation.

52 minutes ago, tater said:

Seeing that on TV just isn't the same.

Definitely not. The audience participation at those hole-in-the-wall theatres it showed at brought it to a whole new level. 

Hmm, I never did see Zulu, I’ll have to give it a try. And maybe I’m underestimating The Breakfast Club…

• 2 months later...

Bill & Ted I and II with my best friend's kids. Luckily, they enjoyed them rather than just rolling their eyes. :) 

Then we watched Bill & Ted III as well and... yeah. 

Two old dudes. Life didn't go the quite the way they figured it would but they're still hanging in there, still friends, still listening to the same music and enjoying the same stuff, even if the long hair is turning a mite grey. Only now with kids in tow.  Talk about art mirroring life.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.