Developer Insights #14 - Part Creation

Ghostii_Space

3 hours ago, Vegatoxi said:

What else signs you need to be sure?

Strangely looking grasshoppers, Unusual taste of the tap water. Increased price for insecticide fumigators. Cheap packs of frozen frog legs in food shops.  

2 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

Ignore what?

Sad reality?

On 6/27/2022 at 12:17 PM, t_v said:

Just wondering, for any devs who may be following this conversation, how big is that asteroid? It looks to be significantly higher definition than KSP 1 asteroids, with a normal map and everything. 

Ooh. Emiko Station could be an actual terrestrial moon, and Just Jim could have Kerbals walk on it in the rumored sequel

29 minutes ago, Singhnaut said:

Ooh. Emiko Station could be an actual terrestrial moon, and Just Jim could have Kerbals walk on it in the rumored sequel

I really do want to see vast asteroids, although Brittanica tells me that there are about 250 known asteroids larger than 100 km in our solar system (10 km in KSP) and adding 250 Gilly-like bodies with their own gravity might pose an issue. I just want to see an end-game space station dock to an asteroid that is a hundred times bigger than it.

Just now, t_v said:

I really do want to see vast asteroids, although Brittanica tells me that there are about 250 known asteroids larger than 100 km in our solar system (10 km in KSP) and adding 250 Gilly-like bodies with their own gravity might pose an issue. I just want to see an end-game space station dock to an asteroid that is a hundred times bigger than it.

That would be pretty majestic, especially if you get it in LKO :o

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

Why would it be an issue?

Due to the patched conics system, the map would be littered with tiny SOI that your trajectory would run over; you would constantly be slowing down the simulation to allow crafts in the background to interact with these SOI instead of phasing through them at high timewarp. Making the asteroids movable would be a large technical hurdle and would cause more problems than it is worth. Those are only a few problems with hundreds of asteroids in that size range. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.