EMERGENCY: Can't Revert The Mission, and I'm Not Sure I Can Finish it.

I've got a Tourist mission to land a VIP on the Mun. But I'm pretty sure I won't have the Delta-V to make it back, and I can't revert to the VAB at this point. I'm on approach to landing.

I can either put myself back in orbit, or I can use up my Delta-V on a landing. The Contract says 'Land on the Mun'. It says nothing about making it back. I might even be able to tick this one off and rescue my VIP and Pilot much later. It's my first Career Mode play, and I don't have all the parts I need for a rescue craft unlocked yet.

If I set her down, I think I'm going to complete the contract, I just don't know if I should.

I'm on Pause right now, so I hope someone who's done this contract before can give me a 'Go/No Go' for landing pretty quick...

35 minutes ago, stephensmat said:

I'm on Pause right now, so I hope someone who's done this contract before can give me a 'Go/No Go' for landing pretty quick...

No go.  Return to orbit, do whatever you need to return to Kerbin, and come back to the Mun with a better-equipped vessel with a design informed by the lessons learned from this attempt.

I've never tried not returning a tourist, so I can't say for certain that the game requires it, but you shouldn't risk it anyway.  Tourists cannot EVA, so any rescue mission needs to involve docking, whether be it for propellant or passenger transfer.  That's much easier to do in orbit.

Or, I suppose, you could make a vessel with a big cup on the nose and use that to return your Mun non-lander to Kerbin.  Good luck flying that, though.

I agree with everybody else, abort to orbit so long as you are certain that you can get back into a stable orbit. If you can't and you try, your pilot is going to have a Bad Day.

Use any remaining fuel to circularise and reduce you inclination, in that order. A circular orbit which is a bit inclined will be easier to rendezvous with than a perfectly equatorial, but elliptical, orbit  for a beginner. Assuming you don't have docking ports, grabbing units, RCS or resource transfer, but do that EVA, the quickest thing I can think of is:

• Strip anything you need to land out of your current ship design
  • Add a couple of FL-T100 fuel tanks on the outside (radially attached with the top to you rocket's side and with nothing attached to them) and disable them. Have them near you capsule. 
  • Send it up with you other pilot and Bill
  • Rendezvous with the stricken vessel in Munar orbit, as close as you can. Almost touching if possible.
  • Have bill move the fuel tanks to the  stricken vessel using EVA construction
  • Have both ships return to Kerbin and have another go.
Edited by Robin Patenall
I assumed who was piloting

Don't land!

Tourists can't EVA and need to be returned to Kerbin for the full contract to complete; you'll get a little bit of money for landing them on the Mun but the vast majority of the payment only comes once they're home. If you land, getting that tourist back home will be much harder to do due to the lack of EVA-ing, whereas from orbit it's a (relatively) simple matter of docking and transferring the tourist to a return craft, or stapling some extra fuel tanks to the sides to get the necessary delta-V to return.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.