What's the hardest available campaign contract you've had?

onionsiegward

by "campaign contract" i just mean the stuff in the mission control building, in campaign/science mode.

The hardest one i've seen available was to "conduce temperature surveys of minmus" even though i've never been to minmus or the mun.

Just curious because i wonder what the hardest type of thing they offer is.

Pretty sure it was @Just Jimin Emiko that had a super grand tour contract, where he had to take a tourist to every celestial body and land.   Might have been another comic we have here.   

I have also seen on here retrograde solar orbits inside Moho iirc.    Apparently it required a few gravity assists from Jool to be reasonable.  

"Test the launch clamps while in orbit of Mun."

That was a bug though and they fixed it long ago.

More seriously, I think the one I laugh at the most because holy cow that'd suck if I ever even thought about trying it, is "Extract X units of ore from Eve and deliver it to Gilly"

I can barely make a ship capable of getting a KERBAL back to orbit of Eve. I'm not going to even TRY it with a tank full of dead weight.

Edited by Superfluous J

For me, the hardest was probably the "Walk on Eve" Contract, not because completing it is hard, but because I didn't want to abandon Jeb on Eve. I hadn't even gone to Duna at that point. 

On 6/29/2022 at 10:47 PM, Superfluous J said:

"Test the launch clamps while in orbit of Mun."

That was a bug though and they fixed it long ago.

More seriously, I think the one I laugh at the most because holy cow that'd suck if I ever even thought about trying it, is "Extract X units of ore from Eve and deliver it to Gilly"

I can barely make a ship capable of getting a KERBAL back to orbit of Eve. I'm not going to even TRY it with a tank full of dead weight.

Hey, if you made a ship capable of getting a Kerbal up from Eve's surface to orbit, even if you just barely managed that, you have me beat. I've never managed to get *ANYTHING* from Eve's surface to orbit. I was trying for just a probe core. Needed to get it back to Kerbin for a mod I was using (Progressive Colonization System). If I could get it into orbit, picking it up with a claw on another ship wouldn't have been hard. I saw someone else show how he did that trick, but he made crucial use of parts from the Breaking Ground DLC, which I don't have. I think I've also seen other explanations of how to do it, but they seemed to predate a change in Eve's characteristics that made it harder.

On 6/30/2022 at 7:47 AM, Superfluous J said:

Right, I got that one. And it was also a large amount, something like 30 tons.

Fortunately, the contract did pay 2 millions, so I just made a super duper huge rocket (though still a lot smaller than the stuff I do nowadays) that cost 600k to brute force my way through the contract.

I never got it, but I think the most difficult contract is the one requiring a grand tour and using the same part to land everywhere. Any experienced player can make a grand tour, but having to land the same part everywhere? this means using the same lander everywhere, or having some kind of modular lander where you always use the same command pod. The second requires a lot more creativity than a simple grand tour, and the first requires the capacity to make an eve ssto

Edited by king of nowhere

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.