[1.12+] Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit Repainted [v1.2]

Arthurism

On 8/17/2022 at 10:28 PM, Soviet_Velir said:

How install this mod? I put folder into Gamedata, but when i launch game and try repaint, for example, Columbia, i dont see repaint a elevon, payload bay, cockpit and other

Do you have SOCK and B9 partswitch installed?

12 hours ago, Arthurism said:

Кроме того, у вас есть SOCKrecolored? Это нужно для того, чтобы мод работал.

Oh, no, I thought I could do without it. I'll install it now, thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

If there are any intentions to expand this mod to feature more texture variants, might I recommend a few?

I have photographs to back all these up, but I've also verified them against this guide to Orbiter external markings. From what I can tell, it appears accurate.

The wings of DiscoveryAtlantis, and Endeavour during their early days all had a different insulation pattern than is depicted in base SOCK. Instead of a smooth line as seen in the mod, it appeared much more jagged. It appears this pattern disappeared around the time the orbiters switched from the NASA worm and black wing tiles to the Meatball and white tiles: 

1200px-1993_s51_IMAX_view_of_Discovery_f

STS-51-J_(29832422012).jpg

Additionally, the same three orbiters also had a different pattern of thermal blankets along their sides during the "Worm Era". It's very subtle, and the untrained eye can miss it, but if you know what to look for you'll see that there are significantly more blankets on the orbiters during this period than later. As a matter of fact, they cover almost the entire payload bay, leaving only a small strip at the top of the fuselage bare: 

Sts-27_Landing.jpg

You can also just barely see the extra blankets on the rear of the payload bay doors in the previous section's photo of Atlantis launching. I believe that photo is from her first mission, STS-51J.

More OMS pod variants for versatility. Columbia and Challenger were identifiable by their gold umbilical plates, which are represented here already with the early OMS pod texture. However, both orbiters were eventually updated to have black tiles on their OMS pods, while their gold plates were retained throughout their service. Conversely, Discovery and Atlantis both flew their first missions with white OMS pods like were seen on the first Shuttle flights, only neither of them ever had gold umbilical plates. (Technically, Atlantis flew her first two missions with black tiles on her starboard OMS pod only, but come on, even a pedant like myself has to draw the line somewhere).

the-main-landing-gear-of-space-shuttle-c

I used to have a way better version of this photo, but it's not necessary to show the updated OMS pods.

sts_41d_rollout_may_19_1984_s84-35311.jp

Additionally, while you can't see the white umbilical plates in this image (Discovery in the VAB before STS-41D), you can clearly see the full-white OMS pods, virtually identical to what was flown on the first missions of Columbia and Challenger.

• 3 weeks later...

Would it be possible to create a toasty Discovery variant with black wing tiles? Or separate the toasty texture so it can be applied to any variant?

That aside, loving the textures!

0BkMIne.png

Edited by Emilius73

4 hours ago, Emilius73 said:

Would it be possible to create a toasty Discovery variant with black wing tiles? Or separate the toasty texture so it can be applied to any variant?

That aside, loving the textures!

0BkMIne.png

What would be great is a single .psd file with the appropriate layers to apply to the various variations of the shuttle textures. I understand that may be a bit of work to do, but it would be fantastic.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2022 at 9:59 PM, Emilius73 said:

Would it be possible to create a toasty Discovery variant with black wing tiles?

I could maybe create one with black wing tiles later, sure!

On 10/8/2022 at 9:59 PM, Emilius73 said:

Or separate the toasty texture so it can be applied to any variant?

I have no idea how to do that haha! Lemon cup has the PSD for that texture so you could probably ask them.

On 1/19/2023 at 2:02 PM, OrdinarySpaceNerd said:

Hello!

So I installed this mod and there are some issues that I am having, So for some reason all the textures work on all of the parts besides the wings, the textures do not show up on those and I have no clue how to fix it, does anybody have any Ideas?

I apologize for the late reply, do you still have this problem? If yes, you could probably check if you have all the important dependencies (B9PS and SOCKrecolored)

On 1/25/2023 at 4:50 AM, DJ Reonic said:

Any chance of a toasty Columbia texture? I know KSP2 is about to drop, but it would still be nice.

I have no idea how to do that lol sorry
If I were to try and do it, it'll probably turn out bad :P

Edited by Arthurism

On 9/18/2022 at 1:13 PM, pTrevTrevs said:

More OMS pod variants for versatility. Columbia and Challenger were identifiable by their gold umbilical plates, which are represented here already with the early OMS pod texture. However, both orbiters were eventually updated to have black tiles on their OMS pods, while their gold plates were retained throughout their service. Conversely, Discovery and Atlantis both flew their first missions with white OMS pods like were seen on the first Shuttle flights, only neither of them ever had gold umbilical plates. (Technically, Atlantis flew her first two missions with black tiles on her starboard OMS pod only, but come on, even a pedant like myself has to draw the line somewhere).

I'm amazed at your knowledge of the shuttle variants! In fact, I have started work on additional OMS pods variants, but I've kept it on hold because I didn't think it would be that important to do the other variants since the difference are pretty subtle to the untrained eye (compared to the wings for example). It's also because I have stuff to do IRL so I don't really have a lot of time for modding. Maybe I'll do it when I have free time, but that probably won't happen until a while I'm afraid.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Would anybody want a moonraker stripe varient of the challenger and Columbia tiled textures to match with sock recolored thermal blanket Columbia, if yes ill consult with arthurism on implementing my custom textures i built off of them

On 5/31/2023 at 9:57 PM, kiverix said:

Could it be possible for the Discovery (Toasty) effect to be a seperate mesh, so that we can make columbia/challenger wings toasty?

Hmm I don't think so. I haven't tried mesh editing before because everytime I do something related to anything other than textures it never goes well lol.
Also I don't have just the toasty overlay since I was not the one who made it. You can ask lemoncup tho

Sorry for the late replies, I'm not really that active anymore

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey, so just a quick question, when loading the game, B9 Throws an error related to the delta wing textures.

No big deal, just keep playing, right?

Well actually, this causes them to just not load. Idk if this is just B9 being old or some change to this mod, but they don't work.
Any help is appreciated, I love SOCK and this mod and want to get the best experience. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2023 at 2:26 AM, Jebby Boi said:

Hey, so just a quick question, when loading the game, B9 Throws an error related to the delta wing textures.

No big deal, just keep playing, right?

Well actually, this causes them to just not load. Idk if this is just B9 being old or some change to this mod, but they don't work.
Any help is appreciated, I love SOCK and this mod and want to get the best experience. Thanks!

Sorry for the delay, I've just opened KSP forums today 
Do you still have this problem or do you have it under control now?

If you still have the problem, what do you mean by "not loading" does the wings part not load? or is it only the SOCKrepainted variants? or maybe all of the parts just dont have their texture variants?

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, KSP_Recreations said:

Are the window shutters included with the mod or are they separate? I look for them in both the search bar and the Utility and Robotics sections of the VAB parts list and I can't find them.

They are there. However, not directly in the mod folder but in an Extras folder. There are also instructions on where to put which folder.