I wonder how many solar system would be in KSP2

2 hours ago, Pawelk198604 said:

I wonder does is will be finite number or procedural generation?

Finite number, exploration in KSP is way to slow for procedural generation to be useful. A small bunch of handcrafted worlds is going to work much better and provide interesting landing/orbiting puzzles to solve.

20 hours ago, Master39 said:

Finite number, exploration in KSP is way to slow for procedural generation to be useful. A small bunch of handcrafted worlds is going to work much better and provide interesting landing/orbiting puzzles to solve.

Although, with KSP2 obviously running in a very up-to-date version of Unity, mods could provide procedural functionality. No one thought KSP1 could achieve stuff like the video below, but it did. Thinking ambitiously about the possibilities is what gave KSP1 its longevity.

That being said, I don't think procedural worlds are going to be a stock feature, and they shouldn't be unless it can be built very well. Gas giants around the outside, rocky planets on the inside, and having the solar system generator taking actual physics into account (e.g., no ice worlds being close to stars unless it's a really weak star, spheres of influence not intersecting unless it's a proper orbital resonance, suitable colours for what planets are made of, etc.)

Edited by intelliCom

If they went out of their way to make sure the surface of Minmus is physically possible given the distance from the star, I doubt they would try something that is, in one way or another, random.

5 hours ago, intelliCom said:

No one thought KSP1 could achieve stuff like the video below, but it did. Thinking ambitiously about the possibilities is what gave KSP1 its longevity.

I don't think a wasteland of randomized solar systems is "ambitious" for KSP2, it's just a different kind of game.

KSP is not a colony sim or a factory game, nor an underwater exploration game, but DLCs (or mods, or free updates) that expand on that front would probably be way more impactful on the game rather than new places to explore.

It will take years for most players to finish exploring even 2 or  3 additional solar systems, meanwhile in other game with procedural galaxies you explore new system at a rate of 30-50 per play session (at least, that was my rate when I was exploring with my DB Explorer in ED).

11 hours ago, intelliCom said:

Although, with KSP2 obviously running in a very up-to-date version of Unity, mods could provide procedural functionality. No one thought KSP1 could achieve stuff like the video below, but it did. Thinking ambitiously about the possibilities is what gave KSP1 its longevity.

That being said, I don't think procedural worlds are going to be a stock feature, and they shouldn't be unless it can be built very well. Gas giants around the outside, rocky planets on the inside, and having the solar system generator taking actual physics into account (e.g., no ice worlds being close to stars unless it's a really weak star, spheres of influence not intersecting unless it's a proper orbital resonance, suitable colours for what planets are made of, etc.)

One of the coolest KSP vids I've seen.  Thanks!

Can only hope KSP2 is similar!

On 7/5/2022 at 3:47 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Pedantically, there will be zero Solar systems. 

I think it would be cool if they add our Solar system an Easter egg similar to the one is Spore :) 

Just now, Pawelk198604 said:

I think it would be cool if they add our Solar system an Easter egg similar to the one is Spore :) 

A whole system is a pretty big Easter Egg… although once RSS 2 comes out, I’ll figure out something to add that system in alongside whatever other modded systems are there. 

53 minutes ago, Pawelk198604 said:
On 7/5/2022 at 2:47 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Pedantically, there will be zero Solar systems. 

That worked in Spore because it had more than ~3 systems.

Hey ya'll, long time lurker here. I've been following the development of KSP 2 since 2019 and when I first learned it was going to have interstellar travel, one of the first questions I had was how many star systems are there going to be? Here are my thoughts on some of the possibilities (these numbers include the Kerbol system):

2: There have been 2 star systems mentioned by name officially: the Kerbol system and the Debdeb system. If there were only 2 star systems total I think I would be a little disappointed. I also think it would look a little weird if all the planets that have been announced (besides the Kerbol system ones) ended up in the Debdeb system, so I don't think this is really likely.

3: I think all the planets that have been announced could probably fit comfortably in 3 star systems (though I am hoping there are more planets that haven't been announced so we have something to discover). If there were 3 star systems I'd probably be ok with that.

4: This is the amount I'm really hoping for. I think it's enough to keep things interesting and could provide some interesting interstellar travel challenges (e.g. maybe you need to travel from Kerbol to Debdeb before you're in range of another star system?)

5+: I would be blown away if there were 5 or more star systems but I'm not getting my hopes up. It looks like the process of creating celestial bodies requires a certain level of hand-crafting so I think having a lot of star systems would be a tall order.

Now with all that said, I've noticed something a little peculiar when watching videos about KSP 2 and reading dev diaries and such. I've noticed the word "galaxy" will sometimes slip in. For example, the dev diary: "Developer Insights #10 - Collisions" says the following, "Players may want to travel lightyears across the galaxy to a distant celestial body and then perform an orbital rendezvous that requires millimeter precision." Another time the word galaxy is used is in the video: "Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 5 - Interstellar Travel" where, at the 1:17 mark Nate Simpson says, "You look at a map of the local area of the galaxy and you see, like in the real world, closest star is about 4 light years away."

I've thought about it a bit and, if I had to guess, I would guess that they're just using the term, "galaxy" to denote the entire play area that KSP 2 takes place in (as opposed to an actual galaxy) but it does make me wonder how they're planning on handling the space between stars.

I'd say that's exactly what Nate said. A local area, few neighbouring stars. Plus there seems to be another important bit I think everyone missed, that the closest star "like in real life" is 4ly away. Meaning that interstellar distances won't be scaled to ⅒ like many people think.

Edited by The Aziz

23 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I'd say that's exactly what Nate said. A local area, few neighbouring stars. Plus there seems to be another important bit I think everyone missed, that the closest star "like in real life" is 4ly away. Meaning that interstellar distances won't be scaled to ⅒ like many people think.

That is new for me.  Where is this interview. 

I'd say that sentence in Ep. 5 is ever so slightly ambiguous as to wether the distances won't be scaled down in-game. It could mean "exactly as in the real world the nearest stars are 4ly away" or it could in the casual way people speak mean "for instance in the real world the nearest stars are 4ly away" Both would be fine I think, we'll just have to see what the technical and gameplay limits of time warp allow/require.

Edited by Pthigrivi

On 7/9/2022 at 8:04 PM, Gippies said:

2: There have been 2 star systems mentioned by name officially: the Kerbol system and the Debdeb system. If there were only 2 star systems total I think I would be a little disappointed. I also think it would look a little weird if all the planets that have been announced (besides the Kerbol system ones) ended up in the Debdeb system, so I don't think this is really likely.

I believe it was confirmed at one point that there will be at least one additional star system besides Kerbol and Debdeb, though they still haven't given an exact number of total stars.

EDIT: Found it! 

Edited by TheOrbitalMechanic

On 7/10/2022 at 10:43 AM, The Aziz said:

Or the "light year" unit has been scaled so that the Mun is 1.25 light seconds away. Making interstellar distances real scale would be odd. It'd be like if KSP 1 was 1/10th scale when it comes to size and the orbits of the moons, but the planets' orbits were much bigger. I heavily doubt Nate meant to say that interstellar distances would be the same as in real life.

2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Or the "light year" unit has been scaled so that the Mun is 1.25 light seconds away. Making interstellar distances real scale would be odd. It'd be like if KSP 1 was 1/10th scale when it comes to size and the orbits of the moons, but the planets' orbits were much bigger. I heavily doubt Nate meant to say that interstellar distances would be the same as in real life.

Wouldn't be that impossible. They already have 'Cannot warp in an atmosphere' or 'cannot warp while EVA'. Now it's 'Cannot warp 1 Billion X while in System'

The real question is how they treat everything going on 'in system' during the flights.

And as to how many Systems to explore, it's perfect for DLC. They can spend a year making each planet an artwork, each system unique, maybe unlock some new science branches from visiting each one, bring the tech back to Homeworld with you...

Just now, stephensmat said:
2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Wouldn't be that impossible. They already have 'Cannot warp in an atmosphere' or 'cannot warp while EVA'. Now it's 'Cannot warp 1 Billion X while in System'

I'm not sure what you're saying.

3 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

I'm not sure what you're saying.

The enormous interstellar distances are many times more than in-system distances. KSP1 has limits on how fast you can warp when close to atmosphere, because you need to be able to slow it down again before you crash.

If travelling to another system in KSP2 is a long-LONG flight, then maybe being outside the system will let you speed up to another level. 10,000X when you go from planet to planet, 500,000X when you go from star to star.

1 hour ago, stephensmat said:

If travelling to another system in KSP2 is a long-LONG flight, then maybe being outside the system will let you speed up to another level. 10,000X when you go from planet to planet, 500,000X when you go from star to star.

In one of the early interviews, Nate did confirm that they were reworking time warp and increasing the number of steps. He didn't elaborate on the time scales, but there will be more. If you find and look at any of the screen shots with the flight UI, it is shown that there is more steps for time warp.

On 7/7/2022 at 4:41 AM, Vl3d said:

Simple question: what will the limit be for maximum time warp?

Will we be able to time warp through a whole interstellar journey or will we have to set alarms and do other missions for a while?

For KSP1:

Time-warp-speed.jpg

In reality at 0.1c speed reaching the closest star would take ~50 years. That's ~75 minutes at 100.000x in gameplay time.

Not taking into account the hour per day / light year value difference compared to KSP, which scales up if light has the same speed. I'm not certain by how much.

The graph shows KSP1 time steps. The 1st four is physics warp. The rest is time warp.

Thanks @Vl3d for posting this.

Edited by shdwlrd

I mean, for interstellar travel, we're touching territory way beyond capabilities of chemical rockets, so their performance balanced to work with rescaled systems doesn't matter. And neither does the distance between stars, if they say that huge ship from the trailer can do 4 lightyear skip, I have no reason not to believe that. Yes we're still limited by physics so we need actual parameters for all the engines, but they're pretty much all almost sci fi at the moment, even if based on actual ideas and projects. I feel like 0.4ly distance, if you zoom out the map, may feel a little too close. I mean it's still stupidly far, but your possible reaction "holy kraken, the nearest star is THAT far!?" may be more real if it's actually 4 ly away. It's still going to be just a dot in the sky.