[1.12.x] Moldavite Machines 1.3

JadeOfMaar

JEYdhiW.png

Spoiler

EruKd0S.png

This mod provides new, freely licensed greenhouse parts as alternative to the tried and true, but aged, ZZZ greenhouse and other parts from that era.

Introduces two weightless resources:

• Algae (specifically for light-based water splitting for Hydrogen (for fuel) and Oxygen (the waste product, but needed for breathing)). This is held and produced in the Algae Farms.
  • Photoculture (representing microbe life which specializes in feeding on Carbon Dioxide and producing Carbon-based useful chemicals). This is held and produced in the Photobioreactors.

Designed for use with TAC life support and Interstellar Flight Inc (IFI) life support.

Compatibility (Bundled)

• B9 Part Switch
  • Snacks!
  • TAC life support
  • Real Fuels
  • USI life support
  • Kerbalism

License: CC-BY-NC-SA

Download :: GitHub :: SpaceDock 

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I agree Squeeeeee

I'll need to plug these into the TechTrees now :)

As for support I'll add support to Kerbalism Simplex.  These are my thoughts:

The Algae Farm i think I'd make a constant harvest thing, like the way I support aquaculture part from SSPXr.

The BioReactor would produce CryoFuel from OrganicSlurry .

May I please make a balance and slight tweak suggestion.

Looking at the models (with crew compartments!) I wonder if for IVAs you are to stick with the cupola models then that is great, but maybe have them in the base of the parts so the kerbal looks up into the gloom of the greenhouse?   

Maybe also add an external hatch to the model too?  So thiswould be an exit close to an edge.

All the iva props could be removed from the cupola IVA.  TBF i didn't look too hard at the iva or check to see if you could exit...  So if you have thought about it sorry!

For balance, the kerbalism greenhouse is 2.5 tons, whereas your 2.5m versions are 7.0 tons more or less.  The I'm going to adjust the mass in the Simplex profile to be around 2.1 which is a little heavier than a hitchhiker and similar size, but I think this would be a good adjustment in general.  Not sure how this compares to the SSPX models though .

Looks awesome.  Thanks heaps!

Edited by theJesuit

@theJesuit Actually how I envision the IVA is that you're basically encircled by racks of platters of the growing machines and the planets in there, and there's really only room in the center for 1 kerbal, a ladder or stairwell, and for the kerbal to put down their basket of tools or fresh picks. We can also possibly say there are robotic arms in the ceiling that can pick from any hard to reach places. (So maybe these should unlock later or cost more to unlock/launch than they already do).

I chose the cupola IVA at random. I wanted to use the black void IVA but couldn't be bothered to dig through my Github for parts that use it (so I spell/remember its name value correctly). The inline hatches do work. You can leave and board through them (if left exposed) but I don't like the idea of side hatches. The airlock internal space would take a good chunk out of usable volume.

I know they should be lighter but I erroneously thought it would weigh a lot more because of the machinery inside (and I forgot the Mk2 crew cabin, which I often use for scale, weighs only 2 tons, not 4). I'll fix that. I'm not bothering to check vs SSPXr parts anytime soon. But I will when I get around to the next two parts.

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@theJesuit Actually how I envision the IVA is that you're basically encircled by racks of platters of the growing machines and the planets in there, and there's really only room in the center for 1 kerbal, a ladder or stairwell, and for the kerbal to put down their basket of tools or fresh picks. We can also possibly say there are robotic arms in the ceiling that can pick from any hard to reach places. (So maybe these should unlock later or cost more to unlock/launch than they already do).

I chose the cupola IVA at random. I wanted to use the black void IVA but couldn't be bothered to dig through my Github for parts that use it (so I spell/remember its name value correctly). The inline hatches do work. You can leave and board through them (if left exposed) but I don't like the idea of side hatches. The airlock internal space would take a good chunk out of usable volume.

I know they should be lighter but I erroneously thought it would weigh a lot more because of the machinery inside (and I forgot the Mk2 crew cabin, which I often use for scale, weighs only 2 tons, not 4). I'll fix that. I'm not bothering to check vs SSPXr parts anytime soon. But I will when I get around to the next two parts.

Nice.  I'll try and have a check about where the exits are.  Next week when i work on my updates. Ill see about the IVA offset as well.

As for the side hatch thing, if the IVA stays as the cupola (i think it works for the purpose) then it could be that the cupola space is the airlock mechanism , although that doesnt neccesarily work for the 3.75m parts unless the iva is offset.

@theJesuit Part mass fix is in. They're now 2.15 tons and 7.2 tons.

I've also made sure that input resources default to Ore (to help folks to do Math for their LS which runs on Ore anyway, or just not be forced by using CO2 and H2O in such cases as: USI LS and your Simplex mods have no business with these).

CO2 and H2O will still kick in when TAC is installed or someone installs the Extras/ config for it.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Release 1.1

• Added Snacks support.
  • Made Ore the default resource input; Made CO2 and Water input into optional patch or default when TAC LS is installed.
  • Reduced part masses. They were excessive.
On 7/17/2022 at 3:28 PM, Grenartia said:

Out of curiosity, is this compatible with Snacks?

Yes.

2 hours ago, EndAllFilms said:

So how does it work on Starship?

It's pretty straightforward. You're going to send some kind of habitation to Duna first, and send your Starship to land beside it, right? Use a bioreactor from this mod in your habitation design.

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

It's pretty straightforward. You're going to send some kind of habitation to Duna first, and send your Starship to land beside it, right? Use a bioreactor from this mod in your habitation design.

Why not just put in the bioreactor inside the starship?

2 minutes ago, EndAllFilms said:

Why not just put in the bioreactor inside the starship?

If Starship is built such that you can do that, go ahead. But afaik, Starship is not built like that. Also, Mars colonization plans usually go: Send your habitation first; Have drones set it up; Have it produce fuel while you wait for the next Mars-bound transfer window; Send your crewed ship when that window comes; Land the ship by the base; Withdraw from the fuel cache immediately.

21 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

If Starship is built such that you can do that, go ahead. But afaik, Starship is not built like that. Also, Mars colonization plans usually go: Send your habitation first; Have drones set it up; Have it produce fuel while you wait for the next Mars-bound transfer window; Send your crewed ship when that window comes; Land the ship by the base; Withdraw from the fuel cache immediately.

Yeah I have to put in the ore in the starship tank and It works okay but the problem is you can't even launch it with the fully fueled ore it's actually gonna be too heavy to launch. So is there anyway that I could generate ore without using the drill?

Release 1.2

• Added USI life support.
  • Added Kerbalism support.

Hey @HebaruSan! Support for Snacks, USI LS and Kerbalism need to be added to the netkan. The zip for this now also contains GameData/MoldaviteMachinesKerbalism/ which requires Moldavite Machines & Kerbalism and needs its own netkan. Thanks very much. :D

3 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Release 1.2

• Added USI life support.
  • Added Kerbalism support.

Hey @HebaruSan! Support for Snacks, USI LS and Kerbalism need to be added to the netkan. The zip for this now also contains GameData/MoldaviteMachinesKerbalism/ which requires Moldavite Machines & Kerbalism and needs its own netkan. Thanks very much. :D

Nice.  How do the greenhouses compare to the kerbalism stock one?

1 hour ago, theJesuit said:

Nice.  How do the greenhouses compare to the kerbalism stock one?

The 2.5m greenhouse is equal in performance to the Kerbalism one. (I didn't account for differences in size/volume of the parts.) After that the throughputs are scaled by the value of the refPower key that you'll find in the part configs. The 3.75m greenhouse has 2.25x values. That key exists because 2 more parts and their different sizes will come.

15 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

That key exists because 2 more parts and their different sizes will come.

MOAR?!

17 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

The 2.5m greenhouse is equal in performance to the Kerbalism one. (I didn't account for differences in size/volume of the parts.)

The kerbalism one, whilst larger is assumed to only grow food on the internal visible wall.  I think if you have racks around the IVA that should account for the difference.

19 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

The 3.75m greenhouse has 2.25x values

So, if the kerbalism greenhouse feeds 1/2 a kerbal... then the 3.75 one feeds a little over 1 kerbal then.

Fair enough.  I was going to make it 2 kerbals for Kerbalism Simplex though :) but i may reduce to 1.5 instead.  I'll check with my SSPX balancing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.