Stay put, darn it!

kfsone

I've been working on a Mun base for a while now, and it's been a brutal learning experience, that I think I can boil down at this point to: I can't seem to stick things to the ground. I'd built a little mobile crane that could carry new extensions, line them up and dock them, but during landing my 3rd component, the instant the base & crane unpacked, the crane either exploded so hard that pieces of it left the kerbol system within a few minutes, or the crane simply landed on the sun.

suncrane.jpg

The base also occasionally had a tendency to fly up and meet me during landing, but not in a good way like you'd want. I removed all the auto-struts and that seemed to help.

But now, every time I fly into range of the base or every time I exit timewarp, the base leaps up off the surface or begins making a hard turn.

Until I turned on "Pause on unpack vehicle" and "unbreakable joints" this would destroy the base 1 time out of 3.

So I did a small experiment and used some of the "anchor to ground" elements from KAS etc, and they seem to have the ability to stay put, but I've put a bunch of effort into this base at this point, and I'd like to know if there is some way that I can affix an existing base to the ground?

I tried putting a stamp-o-tron or a K&K ground anchor with a docking port, but my base is big enough now that it can't get close enough to dock.

Is there some way to affix an existing base to the surface it is sitting on? A part? A mod? An edit of the SFS file?

There is stock ground anchor, though to attach it to existing base you need KAS and use the connectors to join the two. Or indeed build a contraption from the anchor to closest wall to dock them, I haven't tried that though.

There's also parking brake mod, which helps with sliding but I don't know how it affects exploding bases on load.

Aalso, there's a mod called World Stabilizer, it also should help.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.