New player here with issues

marcu

On 7/16/2022 at 12:29 PM, marcu said:

i have no use of parachutes on the Mun

Do you intend on going back to Kerbin?

Parachutes are useless for 99.99% of the trip but they do come in handy when you need them on that last 1000m.

On 8/24/2022 at 8:08 PM, QF9E said:

This induces roll when you give pitch input when you initiate the gravity turn

I did not initiate anything, I was flying straight up, it started turning on its own, and yours did it too in the first 30 tries before you made this video as you keep changing the thrust all the way up. launch the same vessel by just eyeballing it together and after launch not changing the thrusts...

On 8/25/2022 at 12:50 PM, miklkit said:

As for that video, you took a rover that needed repairs and then added a lot of stuff to it

I did not add anything to it other then some batteries and it happens to EVERY single one of them...

On 8/25/2022 at 12:50 PM, miklkit said:

I use hinges

there are no hinges in the basegame as far as i know

On 8/25/2022 at 2:23 PM, Kerbart said:

Do you intend on going back to Kerbin?

Parachutes are useless for 99.99% of the trip but they do come in handy when you need them on that last 1000m.

on the kerbal? the only use they would have of a parachute is in an airplane as there they might have to bail, but even in a returning craft from space there is no use as it either lands or too fast to bail.... pls not Im talking about PERSONAL EQUIPMENT there, not the parachutes on the pods

1 hour ago, marcu said:

I did not initiate anything, I was flying straight up, it started turning on its own

At 1:47 in your video, at about 10k or 11k altitude you give a series of yaw inputs to the right, as is indicated by the gizmo in the lower left corner. This dips the nose of your craft below the vertical, initiating flight with an angle of attack on the wing. Which in turn initiates an uncontrolled roll, which ends when your craft is flying with its wing vertically and towards an azimuth of about 160 degrees, at about 1:51 in the video.

1 hour ago, marcu said:

and yours did it too in the first 30 tries before you made this video

Please don't presume to know what I did or did not do. You have exactly zero evidence so your opinion on the matter is entirely baseless.

1 hour ago, marcu said:

launch the same vessel by just eyeballing it together and after launch not changing the thrusts...

That does not make any sense. Of course I try to keep my vehicle under control.

1 hour ago, marcu said:

there are no hinges in the basegame as far as i know

You can use the airbrake part to lift your rover off the ground as @miklkit describes in their post. You can also use an airbrake to right a rover that has turned over.

1 hour ago, marcu said:

on the kerbal? the only use they would have of a parachute is in an airplane as there they might have to bail, but even in a returning craft from space there is no use as it either lands or too fast to bail.... pls not Im talking about PERSONAL EQUIPMENT there, not the parachutes on the pods

We are well aware what you are talking about. What you are apparently unaware of, is that it is possible to land a Kerbal on their own from low Kerbin orbit. Or build a small craft based around a command chair and re-enter the atmosphere with that. In cases such as these, a personal chute comes in handy to land your Kerbal safely.

As to "but even in a returning craft from space there is no use as it either lands or too fast to bail": Yuri Gagarin, Gherman Titov, Andriyan Nikolayev, Pavel Popovich, Valery Bykovsky and Valentina Tereshkova would like to have a word with you.  In case you don't recognize at least some of those names: those are the Vostok cosmonauts, Vostok being the first Soviet crewed spaceflight program, somewhat akin to the US Mercury. They ejected from their capsules after re-entry and landed under their own personal parachutes. This can be done in KSP as well.

Edited by QF9E

16 hours ago, marcu said:

The occasional botched reentry. Realizing that your chutes never opened for whatever reason, simply not having them on the ship being one (but not exclusively) of them. When you're at 2000m AGL and 4s before impact it's surely nice to have the "EVA and pee" option.

To paraphrase the great Arthur Clarke: "You will rarely ever need it. But when you do, you really need it"

Edited by Kerbart

On 8/23/2022 at 5:39 AM, marcu said:

but really, how could I solve this, for example?: 

and this is happening to everything i try to edit on ground. sure, its not a problem in space. but even worse when i don even try to modify anything just  some parts clip into the terrain and keep jumping like this endlessly until it lands upside down or on its side...

eh, this one is an actual, legitimate bug. one we are all aware of.

how do you solve it? very simple. you save before any kind of eva construction. you reload if it goes wrong.

in that specific case of a rover on minmus, you could try slamming a kerbal with jetpack on the rover in the right way to try to put the rover back into the correct position.

if all fails, by pressing alt-f12 you open a cheat menu that can be used to cheat, but it is most often used for testing (for example, you test a tylo lander directly on tylo without having to go all the way there, then reload the game) and for bug fixes. like, getting a new vehicle in place if the old one gets destroied by a bug. even most challenges consider this to not be cheating.

P.S. driving that rover on minmus is going to be very hard, and not because of friction or bugs, but because of gravity. gravity is so low, you slide on the ground because there is little force pushing you downward, and at the first obstacle you jump and tumble. there are three ways to drive on low gravity bodies:

1) use reaction wheels. make sure to assign them different commands from the rover wheels, or assign a key to enable/disable them as needed; use those reaction wheels to keep your rover pointing the right way. if you jump it's no problem, you can control your attitude and always land on your feet. it's the easiest way, but it's not realistic - ksp reaction wheels are overpowered and working on magic - so you may not like it. you may also use rcs for the purpose, but you're going to run out of propellant eventually

2) make sure your rover can survive tumbling, and that it can push itself back into an upright position. the most common way to "fortify" your rover is by putting landing struts on the roof. to pull yourself back into an upright position, you can use a robotic arm (with the breaking ground expansion), or an engine, or reaction wheels.

3) drive very, very slowly. like, 3 m/s tops. that's the most realistic option, it's what actual astronauts would actually do on such a mission. but it is very, very boring.

Edited by king of nowhere

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.