Paranoid about a link

Hey y'all,

So recently I was trying to sign into Minecraft. It said there was an error and I needed to sign into account.live.com. It asked me multiple times for my phone number and multiple times I foolishly entered it. It wasn't until afterwards, playing a Minecraft server, when I realized my mistake. It had repeatedly asked me for the phone number, so many times that I should've been suspicious. But I wasn't. Soon after, my phone restarted suddenly when I was using it. Like, minutes afterwards. Then in my Discord DM's I got sent a job application that looked fishy. 

What the hell is going on? Please tell me if I'm being paranoid and it's coincidences or if I'm under attack.

I'm gonna go out somewhere after this, so don't expect any replies until this evening. But please, please PLEASE tell me this is just my anxiety prone brain blowing a fuse!

Thanks in advance.

Honestly it sounds like you could be under some sort of attack, but, I am NOT a cyber security expert and can only guess based on the information you provided. I would suggest taking your phone to a repair place certified by your cellular provider for a “health” check. The restart may be coincidental but it is suspect. Id also advise running antiviral programs like malwarebytes (sp?) just incase. Good luck!

On 7/17/2022 at 1:27 PM, AlamoVampire said:

Honestly it sounds like you could be under some sort of attack, but, I am NOT a cyber security expert and can only guess based on the information you provided. I would suggest taking your phone to a repair place certified by your cellular provider for a “health” check. The restart may be coincidental but it is suspect. Id also advise running antiviral programs like malwarebytes (sp?) just incase. Good luck!

Apologies for the late response, I was on holiday. I did every type of scan in my Avast Free Antivirus (boot scan, deep scan, explorer scan, etc.) and they all came up clean. I did a check of processes myself in Task Manager and there wasn't anything of interest... Actually, I tell a lie. There was one thing that slightly alarmed me. It was a process, supposedly Microsoft, running in the background called "YourPhone.exe". I had no idea what it was and googled it. Almost everywhere except here said it was perfectly harmless. But the site I've linked? See for yourself. 

@Second Hand Rocket Science No worries! I hope you had an enjoyable time on holiday! That was an interesting read. I would disagree (again not a cyber security expert or anything just a regular guy who knows enough to be spooked) that its harmless. Its still malware and this is just my own stance: malware is never harmless, it is there against my consent doing things I did not authorize. Id say even just using you as a farm is not ok. Im still wishing you luck and an outcome favorable to you :)

• 1 month later...

You've probably already solved your problem. Or forgot about it. I'd like to point out something

On 7/23/2022 at 9:39 PM, Second Hand Rocket Science said:

But the site I've linked? See for yourself. 

This page seems very sketchy. It's like a poorly written ad for an antivirus nobody's ever heard of. A lot of the words in it make very little sense. They don't go into a lot of technical detail about how it's removed, instead telling you to blindly install a random antivirus that will do all the work for you.

If avast says nothing it's most likely alright. "Your Phone" is just another program by Microsoft. You can turn it off in the settings. From what I read it's somewhere in Privacy > Background apps.

Edited by tajwo

Month later and nothing's happened, tajwo. I think we're all good ;)

On 9/15/2022 at 7:56 PM, tajwo said:

You've probably already solved your problem. Or forgot about it. I'd like to point out something

This page seems very sketchy. It's like a poorly written ad for an antivirus nobody's ever heard of. A lot of the words in it make very little sense. They don't go into a lot of technical detail about how it's removed, instead telling you to blindly install a random antivirus that will do all the work for you.

If avast says nothing it's most likely alright. "Your Phone" is just another program by Microsoft. You can turn it off in the settings. From what I read it's somewhere in Privacy > Background apps.

Edited by Second Hand Rocket Science

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.