The Lounge's "Random Questions That Don't Need Their Own Thread" Thread

JoeSchmuckatelli

This certainly doesn't need its own thread - but I have a question for British people, or those who've been there:

What's with the smoke pots on the beach?

skynews-beach-weather_5839020.jpg?bypass

I thought Europeans were all Eco-Friendly.

(...and y'all make fun of 'Murica...

smh)

This is a question for anyone who works in an automotive bodyshop that repairs cars that were in accidents. For a bit of background before my question I was in an accident in June. Impact on my end was in the front end left of car centerline. I took a picture of my car from the left at the end of my door (door was full open and I was at the end of the door pointed at the front end) showing my own damage. Important note: in the picture you can see my drivers side wiper, the whole wiper cowling, the first third of my windshield from the A pillar to where the curve of glass goes beyond what can be seen from where I was, my whole hood. In this picture it is painfully obvious my windshield shows 0 damage. About 2 or 3 days later I went back to the body shop where it is still at to get some stuff I needed. I decided to take another picture of the car head on. This picture was taken in the EXACT SPOT the tow driver left the car. This picture shows the FULL and COMPLETELY DAMAGE FREE windshield. This picture was taken well before ANY repairs were started.

Ok this brings us to yesterday 7-19-22. I was talking to my dad who is helping me deal with this all. He told me he got an itemized report (not sure if from ins or bodyshop, but likely ins) stating my windshield was replaced to the tune of nearly 700$!!!!! I had him call the body shop to ask why they replaced an UNDAMAGED windshield. He said they said it was cracked from where my hood hit the glass. Uh… no my windshield was 100% accident damage free… I think I had a chip from a rock hitting it (smaller than a glitter particle and only visible if viewed absolutely perfectly under PERFECT conditions) which was non issue.

SO my question for the automotive bodyshop folks: why would the bodyshop replace an unbroken windshield and make a claim that it was damaged? Is this fraud by them? Is it possible they messed up and dropped my hood onto my windshield and are gambling I cant prove they messed up? What are my options here?

Please advise me on your thoughts. Heck anyone can chime in!

edit: i cannot add the images because of identifying information that is also contained in them. I have described the important parts of the images as best as I could.

Edited by AlamoVampire

He spoke with ins for a long time today. When their adjuster did the initial assessment they took pictures. Idk where the car was in terms of disassembly but they took pics. Ins either didnt care or the bodyshop had either damaged (either intentionally or accidentally if it was damaged ((which when i last saw it the glass was intact)) (((either way they lied about when/if damage happened and how/if))) ) it or idk even know. All i know is i seem to be the only one involved that cares or is concerned. Its upsetting.

I thought this might be cool:

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/07/20/politics/faberg-egg-russian-oligarch-seized-yacht-justice-department/index.html

I heard about a movie team saying it came from Russia with love and is a forgery and they need it on set and they want it back asap !

Edit, no it was Octopussy ... nevermind ... :-)

Edited by Pixophir

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Looks smaller than I would have thought...

Grabbed these for you :) 

Length9 feet 11 inches (3.02 m)

Diameter5 in (127.0 mm)

dimensions of the AIM-9.

its not a big missile really. But its quick and deadly, just like its namesake.

Edited by AlamoVampire

2 hours ago, Catto said:

why does my tum tum hurt when i eat milk duds?

Probably because you have grown, and can't produce the lactose splitting ferment anymore.
It's typical fo humans to the South from North.

Or the milk was stored wrong.

8 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Probably because you have grown, and can't produce the lactose splitting ferment anymore.
It's typical fo humans to the South from North.

Or the milk was stored wrong.

maybe cause i ate it too fast, the same happens with crepes

16 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Any of you military types recognize this?

1A63Sh2.jpg

From https://imgur.com/gallery/aR6BcID

When looking at military hardware, you should often consider its application or intended use.

Clearly this is the new SuperMega coffee cup.

Looks like I'd need two.

Just saying.

Edit: real answer (I don't know) - but if it's an AA missile, remember many are MANDPADS and so have to be relatively light and small.

If the source of the image is Ukraine - I'd suspect the latter.  Which makes me sad.

We all need moar coffee!

Ok I was going down the rabbit hole of youtube shorts and tripped over a riddle that 98% of HARVARD students got wrong but a stunning 83% of kindergarteners got right. So, how will you do? Answer first, then check the spoiler. Good luck!

“I turn polar bears white and I will make you cry. I make guys have to pee and girls comb their hair. I make celebrities look stupid and normal people look like celebrities. I turn your pancakes brown, and I make your champagne bubble. If you squeeze me, I’ll pop. If you’ll look at me, you’ll pop. Can you guess the riddle?”

Spoiler

The correct answer is: “No” as it asks if you can guess the riddle.

Edited by AlamoVampire

14 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:
On 7/22/2022 at 1:33 AM, StrandedonEarth said:

Any of you military types recognize this?

1A63Sh2.jpg

From https://imgur.com/gallery/aR6BcID

Expand  

When looking at military hardware, you should often consider its application or intended use.

+1

Obviously, it's a

Spoiler

1000_F_214109597_EIzcWlekOnMU5DI8Va0lUyp

It looks too pretending to always have a baseball bat at hands, and would make a road cop nervous.

But an air-to-air rocket looks innocent, as everyone knows that nobody launches them from car.
While you still can use it as a mace.

Can someone tell me why an insurance company that made nearly $80,000,000,000.00 in 2019 cannot invest in a phone system that when they call you shows: Auto Insurance Company Name (going generic because well, feels right) or something in that guise as opposed to: Unknown or Toll Free? I absolutely will not answer a call that fails to meet this list of requirements:

1. Caller ID signature clearly identifies the caller and number? If no, ignore and block. If yes go to number 2.

2. Do I recognize caller name and/or company name? No? Ignore and block. If yes go to number 2a.

2a. Do I recognize the number if it is a person and not a company? No? If no to both 2&2a ignore and block. If yes is ticked by either portion of 2 (most likely 2 as 2a can vary) then number 3.

3. If 1&2 = yes, then answer; if 1 & 2 = no, ignore and block. 
3a if the caller and/or number are unclear or unknown but I am aware that at X time a call is coming it either gets answered or sent to voice mail for verification and call return.

Now, fwiw I just got a spam call as I type this. Fun… 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2022 at 8:42 PM, AlamoVampire said:

Can someone tell me why an insurance company that made nearly $80,000,000,000.00 in 2019 cannot invest in a phone system that when they call you shows: Auto Insurance Company Name (going generic because well, feels right) or something in that guise as opposed to: Unknown or Toll Free?

I'm not entirely sure it's something they can do or if the problem is on their end. Granted I have never even seen the Caller ID system in action for calls - the only stuff we get out here are paid third-party phone number databases.

And yeah, I've been getting very specific auto insurance spam recently. My father's deets must've been leaked.

Active voice:

"Have you visited London?"
"I have not visited London."

Passive voice:

"Has London been visited by you?"
"London has not been visited by me".

Active voice:

"Have you been to London?"
"I have not been to London."

Passive voice:

"Has London been (??? "been to" ?) by you?"
"London has not been (??? "been to" ?) by me".

Edited by kerbiloid

On 8/10/2022 at 12:33 AM, kerbiloid said:

Active voice:

"Have you visited London?"
"I have not visited London."

Passive voice:

"Has London been visited by you?"
"London has not been visited by me".

Active voice:

"Have you been to London?"
"I have not been to London."

Passive voice:

In welcher Sprache? 

On 8/10/2022 at 12:33 AM, kerbiloid said:

This part is so painfully awkward in English - tortured even - that I'm not sure it's even a thing.  As in does not ring a bell, and may not exist.

(And I'm someone quite familiar with torturing English)

12 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

So, what's the "Passive Voice" form for "has been to"?

A-Londoning I've not?  (Turns visiting London into a verb, however, so probably not)

While I only have a passing relationship with German and Spanglish, I don't know if the phrase you're writing can be possible in others.  Does such a thing occur in Russian?

Just now, kerbiloid said:

I can't see any.
But Russian doesn't have modal verbs. "But the modal verbs aren't had by Russian"?

So, I was in hope they are a lego.

Frankly, I'd think you'd have to go back and see if such a thing was possible in Old Norse.  Modern English has a lot of structural similarity (the Normans only introduced words, but the Vikings changed the Anglo-Saxon sentence structure into something they were more comfortable with).