The Lounge's "Random Questions That Don't Need Their Own Thread" Thread

JoeSchmuckatelli

On 7/20/2022 at 11:31 PM, AlamoVampire said:

He spoke with ins for a long time today. When their adjuster did the initial assessment they took pictures. Idk where the car was in terms of disassembly but they took pics. Ins either didnt care or the bodyshop had either damaged (either intentionally or accidentally if it was damaged ((which when i last saw it the glass was intact)) (((either way they lied about when/if damage happened and how/if))) ) it or idk even know. All i know is i seem to be the only one involved that cares or is concerned. Its upsetting.

A bit of an necro but if the repair was paid by insurance the garage want to pad the repair bill way more than if the customer is paying. 
Yes they might try to fool the customer but the old lady might have an son who is mechanic and will react. 

I had was hit by another car in an parking garage two not long ago. Car hitting my right front door and mirror. 
Well I had an previous smaller damage to my rear door just some scratches from a fender and not done anything about it. Well they fixed that damage to even if not on the damage report :) 

16 hours ago, magnemoe said:

A bit of an necro but if the repair was paid by insurance the garage want to pad the repair bill way more than if the customer is paying. 
Yes they might try to fool the customer but the old lady might have an son who is mechanic and will react. 

I had was hit by another car in an parking garage two not long ago. Car hitting my right front door and mirror. 
Well I had an previous smaller damage to my rear door just some scratches from a fender and not done anything about it. Well they fixed that damage to even if not on the damage report :) 

I actually confronted the body shop about my windshield. They told me that during disassembly the people taking the hood off lost their grip on it and it hit. The lady I spoke with who was my “service writer” admitted they messed up and it was SOP to just bill it out on a claim. She apologized for how they failed to communicate clearly with me and that I was wholly right in being upset and for thinking there was fraud, she even said if our places were reversed she could see her self thinking as I was. I have my car back (have had it back about 2.5 weeks now) and need to bring it back to them AGAIN!! First time my radiator was leaking from the filler neck. O-ring replaced but they missed another coolant leak. One my neighbor found today when he did my oil change. Tonight after going to the airport to photograph a very specific 737-800 from American Airlines (saw steam wafting by my headlights as I was photoing the aircraft) I came home, opened my hood to see if I could see anything. Sure enough I saw coolant on an intake runner. I used an old key to move a hose to get a better view and quite accidentally pushed the hose right and found my leak as a pinhole sprayed coolant. Happy I know exactly what it is, but upset that its still not right. I mean come on 15247$ on repairs (500 me, rest ins), i shouldnt have to deal with this…

• 2 weeks later...

Asking here as well as other places to view a wide range of opinions: How does one go about making the Russian “р” sound?

My Uhmairickuhn tongue won’t let me, nor has it ever let me do the “r’s” of other languages. Even the Japanese “r” was difficult until recently.

I am aware of the thing with the q-tip. I am not necessarily asking for solutions, just general knowledge surrounding this issue.

Curious for both replies from native Russian speakers and anyone who has tried to learn it as a ‘nth language. Witty replies are welcome too for morale purposes!

On 9/29/2022 at 1:55 AM, SunlitZelkova said:

Asking here as well as other places to view a wide range of opinions: How does one go about making the Russian “р” sound?

My Uhmairickuhn tongue won’t let me, nor has it ever let me do the “r’s” of other languages. Even the Japanese “r” was difficult until recently.

I am aware of the thing with the q-tip. I am not necessarily asking for solutions, just general knowledge surrounding this issue.

Curious for both replies from native Russian speakers and anyone who has tried to learn it as a ‘nth language. Witty replies are welcome too for morale purposes!

Got a 'frinstance'? 

While it can be obvious that speaking to someone from another country (when neither of you speak the same language) will be difficult, I think we presume our gestures will be universally understood.  This is far from the case.  With all that humans do to communicate - its not surprising that in addition to speaking different verbal languages... we also, apparently, have different non-verbal languages. 

For instance, most Americans would not know what someone who is holding their hand out, palm down, with all 4 fingers curling repeatedly towards the person means.  (Vaguely similar to the old, hold the hand out to kiss my fingers move... except the fingers are curling, together, repeatedly).  

Similarly, if I were driving in another country and wanted to let another driver turn in front of me, my extended hand, palm up and 4 fingers curing back towards me might get an unexpectedly unfriendly response!

These are the same gesture, with the exception of the facing of the palm... and they mean wildly different things from place to place.

10 Common Hand Signs That Might Insult People Abroad (matadornetwork.com)

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

A fist with the thumb tucked under the index finger doesn’t have a set North American meaning, except when playing “got your nose” with a child. It also means the letter “T” in American Sign Language. In Turkey and Slavic countries, however, this gesture is aggressively rude; the hand sign equivalent of “screw you” <...>

In Russia it's just a common childish or archaic mocking gesture with no 6-ual connotaion. 
And definittely without such deep knowledge of female anatomy.

Also it's a standard unofficial check test for optical tools like peepholes, photo cameras, and binoculars, with narrow field of view and adjustable sharpness.

which translates to fig, is a slang word for female <...>

Lolwut?
"fig" is an weak euphemism for male <...> word, and "figa" (in connotation to this gesture) is a nickname of the female knot-like hairdo.

Also, the word itself is a name of the fig tree fruit.

Backwards peace sign
V sign

In Russia this gesture means "Look, this idiot has watched too many Holy Wood movies and tries to look like a true American."

Yes, a whole phrase in one gesture. Such rich language.

Holding your palms out
This hand gesture is said to be a remnant of Byzantine times, when people could taunt shackled criminals by smearing their faces with excrement.

In Russia this gesture has three different meanings.

1. "Stop there or (you will fall into the pit / something will fall on you from above), fool!"

2. "Stop there because you are looking too dangerous, so Iam afraid of you, and will either beat you face or call police!"

3. "Stop or we'll shoot!"

None of them is of Byzantine ancestry.

When in Bulgaria, watch what you do with your head! In Bulgaria, nodding your head means “no.”

Known bug with co-ordinate axes. Will be repaired in one of the next releases.

If you need to get a child’s attention

, think again, do you need problems.

Also it's wise to learn kids avoid any touching by other people, regardless of gestures.

A-OK in Swiss

Just a usual target for an amateur crossbow tournament in the name of W. Tell.

Im sitting here a bit confused. I recently won 2 different auctions on ebay from the same seller, a seller with whom I have done business with twice before. My two items are anime statues. They left Himeji in Japan yesterday afternoon Japanese time and reached Anchorage Alaska about 1140pm yesterday alaska time. What has me curious is both items are addressed to me, both traveling via fedex, were on the SAME fedex flight from japan yet only 1 has an estimated delivery of tuesday and the other still says pending. Am I nuts or shouldnt 2 packages going to the same destination that got shipped on the same day by the same person be traveling in the system at the same time/pace?

Edited by AlamoVampire

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

not fond of Armata-like unmanned turrets

From the article; 

"why put a human in your heavy tank? Because, bluntly, remote control remains awkward and autonomous robots remain stupid. Sometimes you need an experienced human in the vehicle, onboard. That way they can use all their senses to understand the situation – the smell of smoke, the sound of the guns, the vibration of the engine — instead of staring at a screen. That way, too, their input can’t be hacked, jammed, or otherwise disconnected"

Thanks for the call out!  Interesting article! 

13 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

but they don't say "in turret", and there is "unmanned turret" in the text.

The longer form answer is the well known disconnect between people who design things (and have never been to combat) and those who have been in combat and want common sense things to make their ability to do the job more effective. 

Military force structure is and always has been a fluid environment, a dance between what is possible and what is practicable. 

Something like a manned & drome swarm jet fighter / strike package (one piloted aircraft with a swarm of semi autonomous drone aircraft) makes more sense to me than trying to do it with land warfare (much denser and dirtier environment). 

4 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

The longer form answer is the well known disconnect between people who design things (and have never been to combat) and those who have been in combat and want common sense things to make their ability to do the job more effective.

One exception to this could be in the development of the AH-1 Cobra. Bell created a concept called the D-225 Iroquois Warrior. It was rejected by the military, but when the desire for an attack helicopter came knocking in 64-65, Bell went to work building one based on the UH-1.

It ended up more or less having the same design layout as the D-225, and heli pilots loved it. It was apparently exactly what was needed (according to pilots themselves) at the time despite the concept having been developed prior to that war taking the shape it did.

———

Now some questions from me (for anyone).

1. Do military engineering related questions now belong in this thread?

2. Would a hand-cranked backup to the powered turret system be feasible in a tank with an uncrewed turret?

3. Specifically asking this because I’m aware we have at least two ex-tankers on this forum- is the use of a hand-cranked turret “hard”? Like a piece of back breaking labor as compared to normal tasks.

4. Another thing I thought of while writing this- I learned about “tank bites” recently. Does this only apply to Warsaw Pact tanks or does this happen in Western ones too?

48 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

is the use of a hand-cranked turret “hard

Nope.  With proper training, it's just as easy to hit a target with the hand cranks and Auxiliary Sight (think rifle scope) as it is the powered system... Except not nearly so fast.  (there are other advantages - but speed is the primary) 

The advantages of computerized fire control is a lot less time needed for training to use the system vs become skilled in manual engagements. 

53 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

I learned about “tank bites” recently

If by this, you are referring to the Turret Monster... Yeah, it's a thing... And not a gentle thing - a tear your leg out of the socket / puree your skull without anyone noticing kind of thing. 

9 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

1. Do military engineering related questions now belong in this thread?

The space and scientific tanks definitely should belong to Science & Spaceflights.

9 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

2. Would a hand-cranked backup to the powered turret system be feasible in a tank with an uncrewed turret?

It's interesting how to take aim if TV cam is broken when the crew is in the nose cabin.

Probably, only in Ferdinand-style. So, maybe they need the manual override just once, to set it straight forward..

Edited by kerbiloid

16 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

3. Specifically asking this because I’m aware we have at least two ex-tankers on this forum- is the use of a hand-cranked turret “hard”? Like a piece of back breaking labor as compared to normal tasks.

I haven't heard of a single design where this was a problem by the time a tank went into production, besides maybe the KV-2 with its very top-heavy turret. We're talking about moving what is usually a well-balanced piece of machinery mounted on a ring of ball bearings. The traverse crank is geared, and typically has two speeds, so it's possible for the designers to sacrifice rotation speed to keep fatigue reasonable.

As far as I understand, for WWII the standard drill was to use powered traverse for coarse turns and then went manual for targeting. This is really well-illustrated by the controls on the T-34.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rTnS0XS2al8&t=3m40s

Im wondering if its just me or are some drivers bent on taking stupid risks? A few hours ago I was leaving my neighborhood to go find lunch. The exit of my neighborhood that i chose faces 4 lanes of traffic with a turn lane in the middle. Its 2 lanes one way with 2 the other. There were a bunch of cars coming both ways with openings that were suitable if you had about 1000 hp and instant power to the ground, which is to say i felt it unsafe to try to split tiny gaps to turn left. 
This guy in an SUV somewhere between nissan rogue and ford explorer in size was behind me in my 4 door sedan. Well he got super impatient and started beeping his horn. I kept still but this joker backs up slides over and nearly got t-boned by another car coming from our left only missing by a foot and in his attempt to miss forced a car coming from the right into the far lane… why do people drive like this?

2 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Im wondering if its just me or are some drivers bent on taking stupid risks? A few hours ago I was leaving my neighborhood to go find lunch. The exit of my neighborhood that i chose faces 4 lanes of traffic with a turn lane in the middle. Its 2 lanes one way with 2 the other. There were a bunch of cars coming both ways with openings that were suitable if you had about 1000 hp and instant power to the ground, which is to say i felt it unsafe to try to split tiny gaps to turn left. 
This guy in an SUV somewhere between nissan rogue and ford explorer in size was behind me in my 4 door sedan. Well he got super impatient and started beeping his horn. I kept still but this joker backs up slides over and nearly got t-boned by another car coming from our left only missing by a foot and in his attempt to miss forced a car coming from the right into the far lane… why do people drive like this?

Having driven commercial truck nationwide all I got for you is that how some people drive is a complete mystery.  Expect anything at any time.  Keep your head on a swivel, check your mirrors every 2 to 3 seconds, and stay safe!

Edited by darthgently

1 minute ago, darthgently said:

Having driven commercial truck nationwide all I got for you is that how people drive is a complete mystery.  Expect anything at any time

As my dad put it to me when he was teaching me to drive: "You can't just drive your car. You have to drive for every other car around you. Because you have no idea whether or not they actually know how to drive."

4 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

As my dad put it to me when he was teaching me to drive: "You can't just drive your car. You have to drive for every other car around you. Because you have no idea whether or not they actually know how to drive."

To be fair, nearly all drivers do very well considering the complexity and demands of the task, but we all have bad days and there are those very few that seem bent on creating bad days for themselves and others every single day

On 10/9/2022 at 5:50 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

article

https://topwar-ru.translate.goog/203530-abramsx-uzhe-i-abramsy-s-neobitaemoj-bashnej-pojavilis.html?_x_tr_sl=ru&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=ru&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Moar details on topic.

P.S.
A proper tank for proper gamers tankers. (WoT)

Spoiler

0-abrams-x-16-768x518.jpg

P.P.S.
Also the Ironclad Edition, soon. Fur der Zumwalt Schlachtschiff. (WoWS)

Spoiler

image041.jpg

Edited by kerbiloid