Which platform would you prefer to play KSP2 on?

Ember12

What platform do you want to play KSP2 on?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which platform would you like to play KSP2 on? (If I missed any platforms, please let me know.)

• Windows (PC).
    • Console.
    • Mac, but if that's not an option, I'll play on Windows/Console.
    • Mac, but if that's not an option, I might play on Windows/Console.
    • Mac, and if that's not an option, I won't buy the game at all.
    • Linux, but if that's not an option, I'll play on Windows/Console.
    • Linux, but if I that's not an option, I might play on Windows/Console.
    • Linux, and if that's not an option, I won't buy the game at all.

There has been a lot of discussion about that availability of KSP2 on Mac/Linux, and one question that has never been well answered is what proportion of players play on these platforms.  Hopefully this poll will shed some light on the matter.

Ah, I did miss a platform.  Until now I had never even heard of Proton.

Edit:  Turns out Proton isn't really a platform.  Probably I should have asked which version of the game people want.

Edited by Ember12

7 hours ago, Ember12 said:

Ah, I did miss a platform.  Until now I had never even heard of Proton.

Edit:  Turns out Proton isn't really a platform.  Probably I should have asked which version of the game people want.

Nope Proton isn't a platform, is a way to make Windows games work on Linux and more and more devs are targeting that over a native version, but for some people that's unacceptable. 

It's what the SteamDeck uses.

On 7/24/2022 at 2:53 PM, Master39 said:

Windows + SteamDeck

If SteamDeck is considered a viable option then surely iPad / Mac Hybrid version should be considered just as viable. Sure iPad version would need some fairly aggressive min. spec hardware support but still certainly the iPadPro and current models match re-exceed KSP 1 hardware.

I know the M1 chip specs are pretty impressive, but I think that quite a lot of things would chug on integrated graphics. You could argue that you could crank down graphics to the minimum, and that is possible, but builds in excess of 100 parts would probably lag. A lot.

On 300+ part ships my RTX 3060 dedicated graphics chugs, so... ;-;

1 hour ago, mattinoz said:

If SteamDeck is considered a viable option then surely iPad / Mac Hybrid version should be considered just as viable. Sure iPad version would need some fairly aggressive min. spec hardware support but still certainly the iPadPro and current models match re-exceed KSP 1 hardware.

Don't know about that, isn't the iPad locked down for software?

15 hours ago, Master39 said:

Don't know about that, isn't the iPad locked down for software?

It is either as modable or more modable than the console editions. Scripted mods using a language entirely interpreted language within the app can be treated as "content" and can avoid app review process of the AppStore, similar parts mods. Which would put it ahead of console editions unless they have improved a lot. 

4 hours ago, mattinoz said:

It is either as modable or more modable than the console editions. Scripted mods using a language entirely interpreted language within the app can be treated as "content" and can avoid app review process of the AppStore, similar parts mods. Which would put it ahead of console editions unless they have improved a lot. 

I don't realistically see them going the AppStore way.

Which is what separates the SteamDeck from other console and closed ecosystems, there's no porting, review process, targeting (other than maybe some optimization / control binding stuff) or anything. KSP2 will come to the SteamDeck, regardless of what either Intercept or Valve think about KSP2 on a handheld.