[1.9.x - 1.12.x] BDArmory Plus (BDA+) v1.6.11.0 [2024-02-22]

DocNappers

1 hour ago, DocNappers said:

You should definitely ask his permission (and respect whatever answer he gives) before doing something like that.

If I'm not mistaken, I should only ask permission if I decide to put his product into public access (which I wasn't going to do) or use it in any way for my own purposes (create my own mod, for example)
I didn't do either, so I don't need to ask permission

In addition, this person has not been online for a year, so it is unlikely that he will answer me...

By the way, do you want to update this mod?

11 minutes ago, Kerbal410 said:

how would I do that? there isn't a forum.

Not yet, no, but you can submit requests as "issues" on github. If they don't think it fits with the mod then they might be able to suggest better places to request the part. If the part requires extra functionality in BDA+ in order to make the it work, then we can add the support for it (if it's not super complicated), but BDA+ itself is only meant to have a couple of parts demonstrating each of the various functionalities it supports.

4 minutes ago, Ilya_G said:

If I'm not mistaken, I should only ask permission if I decide to put his product into public access (which I wasn't going to do) or use it in any way for my own purposes (create my own mod, for example)
I didn't do either, so I don't need to ask permission

According to the licences he used, yes, you can post his stuff without permission, but that was more of a mistake in the licensing on his part. According to others I know who were close to him, he had reasons for taking his stuff offline and was strongly opposed to others sharing it.

1 minute ago, Kerbal410 said:

it says "there aren't any open issues" anywhere else I could submit requests?

That's what the green "New issue" button on the right is for https://github.com/BrettRyland/BDArmory-Extended/issues

Btw, it's on the same github account (mine) as the main BDA+ to keep stuff together with BDA+, but I'm not one of the devs that add stuff to it.

Edited by DocNappers

It's strange, but I can't shoot unguided missiles...
KSP.log has this:huh:

Spoiler
[ERR 07:47:46.423] Timing3 threw during FixedUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at BDArmory.Weapons.ModuleWeapon.RunTrajectorySimulation () [0x0056c] in <fa264e5e13a24a4d8769797cd09f93a3>:0 
  at BDArmory.Weapons.ModuleWeapon.AimAndFire () [0x000a7] in <fa264e5e13a24a4d8769797cd09f93a3>:0 
  at (wrapper delegate-invoke) <Module>.invoke_void()
  at Timing3.FixedUpdate () [0x00023] in <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0 

[ERR 07:47:46.426] Timing3 threw during FixedUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at BDArmory.Weapons.ModuleWeapon.RunTrajectorySimulation () [0x0056c] in <fa264e5e13a24a4d8769797cd09f93a3>:0 
  at BDArmory.Weapons.ModuleWeapon.AimAndFire () [0x000a7] in <fa264e5e13a24a4d8769797cd09f93a3>:0 

[ERR 07:47:46.456] Timing3 threw during FixedUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[ERR 07:47:46.459] Timing3 threw during FixedUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

5 hours ago, Ilya_G said:

It's strange, but I can't shoot unguided missiles...
KSP.log has this:huh:

OK. It looks like I broke something. If you enable "debug lines" it should work.

Something else also broke though with the AI of the active weapon not automatically firing that I'm looking into.

Edited by DocNappers

Another bug:
When you press the "Fire Missile" button (no difference, with the help of action groups or a designated button), missiles are fired at high speed. It is unrealistic to release one piece
When one type of missiles ends, the device automatically switches to another and fires them. There is a risk of being left without missiles

I think it's worth adding a limiter that limits the number of missiles fired at a time (1, for example) until the button is released

3 hours ago, Ilya_G said:

Another bug:
When you press the "Fire Missile" button (no difference, with the help of action groups or a designated button), missiles are fired at high speed. It is unrealistic to release one piece
When one type of missiles ends, the device automatically switches to another and fires them. There is a risk of being left without missiles

I think it's worth adding a limiter that limits the number of missiles fired at a time (1, for example) until the button is released

This should now be fixed in v1.5.5.1. The action group for "Fire Missile" in the WM (as opposed to the one in each missile) should only ever fire a single missile. The hotkey for firing missiles should now respect the single/ripple setting.

1 hour ago, Ilya_G said:

Rather, on the contrary, it is a sign of poor-quality work and the absence of any testing

Well, that's just rude. BDA+ contains almost 83k lines of code and spans many years of development and many maintainers. While we try to test and fix as much as we can, there's still a lot of undocumented legacy code that can cause strange issues when we make changes. When we find issues such as the AI of the active vessel not firing (as in this case) then it's important to get out a bugfix release as quickly as possible. Lesser bugs can wait for the next release.

6 hours ago, Ilya_G said:

You described the current state of the KSP and not the state of the BDArmory mod

It is in fact the most likely state of the BDArmory mod. Not only does dev team have to work with and around the spaghetti that is KSP, they also have to deal with the fact that the mod is what, the better half of a decade old now? The mod has seen four forum posts and changed hands three times, with dozens of contributors, not mentioning it’s various subsidiaries.

The fact that it gets updates at all is something to be thankful for, even if devmans won’t add half my cosmetic ideas.

On that note. SI said I can’t have “target random part” because it doesn’t make sense in the plane meta, but ships fight really stupid with the current options and tanks look really dumb, so can we have that? I know we had it at some point, maybe have it select a new part every few seconds.

Also, some sort of reload rate randomization option for weapons in salvo would be appreciated for warship builders. I know barrage mode exists, but salvo mode is by far the more consistent firing mode when working with large weapon groups. A slider or something to randomly shift/offset reloads by a range of a couple percentage points or so would create a much more convincing “rippling” salvoes.

Edited by Sidestrafe2462

12 minutes ago, Sidestrafe2462 said:

to work with and around the spaghetti

Speaking of spaghetti, it gave me an idea of using a brand new gravity gun to spaghettify Kerbals, teleport them outside the solar system and possibly crash the game. In 1.4 it was enough for a Kerbal just to fall from the stairs at the VAB to get a good spaghettification glitch and break space-time but nowadays spaghettification is more complicated so the Universe Destruction Research Institute should look for new tools.

1 hour ago, Sidestrafe2462 said:

It is in fact the most likely state of the BDArmory mod

Yep, I was talking about BDArmory. I'm sure KSP is just as bad, if not worse, though. BahamutoD's earliest commit dates back to:  Fri Jul 11 20:00:40 2014 -0400, so BDArmory itself is over 8 years old.

1 hour ago, Sidestrafe2462 said:

On that note. SI said I can’t have “target random part” because it doesn’t make sense in the plane meta, but ships fight really stupid with the current options and tanks look really dumb, so can we have that? I know we had it at some point.

I don't really see any reason not to have it, but I'm sure SI has his reasons. We can ask him about it on discord.

2 hours ago, Sidestrafe2462 said:

Also, some sort of reload rate randomization option for weapons in salvo would be appreciated for warship builders. I know barrage mode exists, but salvo mode is by far the more consistent firing mode when working with large weapon groups. A slider or something to randomly shift/offset reloads by a range of a couple percentage points or so would create a much more convincing “rippling” salvoes.

Randomly tweaking the reload rates would start with a synchronised salvo that slowly becomes desynchronised assuming the guns can all stay on target. I don't think that that'd give a convincing "rippling" salvo. I think what you're asking for is more like the barrage mode, but with the fire timing between the guns not equally spaced. I'll have a play with it and see what I can come up with. This is more SI's area though.

3 hours ago, Manul said:

Speaking of spaghetti, it gave me an idea of using a brand new gravity gun to spaghettify Kerbals, teleport them outside the solar system and possibly crash the game. In 1.4 it was enough for a Kerbal just to fall from the stairs at the VAB to get a good spaghettification glitch and break space-time but nowadays spaghettification is more complicated so the Universe Destruction Research Institute should look for new tools.

If you set "Kerbal Safety" to "full" so that kerbals try to eject from parts when they're destroyed, it'll still sometimes yeet them into orbit before they're properly instantiated in the game, then, since they're EVA kerbals, KSP will automatically try to switch the camera to them, frequently breaking the view frustrum in the process and crashing KSP. It's something I never managed to work around. "partial" safety (just deploying parachutes on existing EVA kerbals) works fine though.

Edited by DocNappers

1 hour ago, DocNappers said:

Randomly tweaking the reload rates would start with a synchronised salvo that slowly becomes desynchronised assuming the guns can all stay on target.

The chaos is also intended to make salvo firing rapid fire weapons look a bit more random and less robotic, so that's honestly an intended feature.

On 12/3/2022 at 7:52 AM, Kerbal410 said:

will 2 GPS bombs go after separate targets if launched simultaneously, if there are 2 targets selected in the GPS coordinator?

EDIT: never mind

You can use the details menu to set different targets for bombs / missiles, and then launch them in one action
P. S. I haven't checked this, in theory it should work