[1.9.x - 1.12.x] BDArmory Plus (BDA+) v1.6.11.0 [2024-02-22]

DocNappers

The same thing happens to me, when I launch a missile it crashes my game, here is my log files related to that
The first time I manually installed mods: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qrt50Voktxwzd8rAexMB6_x9VyHMBbzR/view?usp=sharing
The second time I used CKAN: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19JIb9gy-StLATdulvDJ5OsuGjLHBRByT/view?usp=sharing

5 hours ago, Octavio1 said:

Fair warning to anyone spawning additional aircraft, the memory leakage will eventually lead to KSP crashing, and I had to restart my computer a few times, hope this will get fixed soon!

The memory leakage is due to the base KSP game holding onto references to vessels and parts that no longer exist (the datastructures in managed memory still exist, but many of the underlying datastructures in non-managed memory have been freed) and isn't something that mods can fix (with the possible exception of KSPCF which uses Harmony to directly modify the base game, but they'd need to know a lot about the inner workings of the base game to be able to do that). All known memory leaks in BDA+ itself have been fixed (also in CameraTools).

The rate that KSP leaks memory due to repeatedly spawning vessels (e.g., in a tournament with 6—8 100-part vessels being spawned every few minutes) is generally under 100MB per heat, so if you have around 32GB RAM, then it should run for 8+ hours without issues. If you only have 8GB RAM, then that could be a problem, but should only require restarting KSP, not the entire computer.

7 hours ago, DocNappers said:

The memory leakage is due to the base KSP game holding onto references to vessels and parts that no longer exist (the datastructures in managed memory still exist, but many of the underlying datastructures in non-managed memory have been freed) and isn't something that mods can fix (with the possible exception of KSPCF which uses Harmony to directly modify the base game, but they'd need to know a lot about the inner workings of the base game to be able to do that). All known memory leaks in BDA+ itself have been fixed (also in CameraTools).

The rate that KSP leaks memory due to repeatedly spawning vessels (e.g., in a tournament with 6—8 100-part vessels being spawned every few minutes) is generally under 100MB per heat, so if you have around 32GB RAM, then it should run for 8+ hours without issues. If you only have 8GB RAM, then that could be a problem, but should only require restarting KSP, not the entire computer.

Hmm, that's an interesting explanation. Is it because of KSP's engine? I have 16GB of DDR4, yet when KSP crashes from the lack of memory left to allocate my explorer process crashes and my desktop disappears :( Is KSPCF able to fix these memory leaks? I could have sworn that I installed it. Anyways thanks for all your help, much appreciated!

3 hours ago, Octavio1 said:

Hmm, that's an interesting explanation. Is it because of KSP's engine? I have 16GB of DDR4, yet when KSP crashes from the lack of memory left to allocate my explorer process crashes and my desktop disappears :( Is KSPCF able to fix these memory leaks? I could have sworn that I installed it. Anyways thanks for all your help, much appreciated!

16GB should give you several hours of running tournaments before you run out of memory unless you're using an excessive amount of other mods or some other mod that's leaking memory. You may want to consider enabling the "Auto-Resume Tournaments" and "Auto-Quit Memory Threshold" options in the "Gameplay" section of the BDA+ settings so that KSP exits gracefully when it's using too much memory during tournaments and automatically resumes them the next time KSP starts. Also, having a swap file might help so that the OS doesn't just randomly kill processes when your RAM is full.

KSPCF isn't able to fix the memory leaks (that I'm aware of), but it can detect some of them. Look for lines with [KSPCF:MemoryLeaks] in the KSP.log file.

10 hours ago, DocNappers said:

16GB should give you several hours of running tournaments before you run out of memory unless you're using an excessive amount of other mods or some other mod that's leaking memory. You may want to consider enabling the "Auto-Resume Tournaments" and "Auto-Quit Memory Threshold" options in the "Gameplay" section of the BDA+ settings so that KSP exits gracefully when it's using too much memory during tournaments and automatically resumes them the next time KSP starts. Also, having a swap file might help so that the OS doesn't just randomly kill processes when your RAM is full.

KSPCF isn't able to fix the memory leaks (that I'm aware of), but it can detect some of them. Look for lines with [KSPCF:MemoryLeaks] in the KSP.log file.

Thanks for the advice, I double checked and I have a swap file that is pretty substantial (around 5 GB), but i will try enabling the options in BDA+

On 10/20/2022 at 6:58 AM, Octavio1 said:

I have a swap file that is pretty substantial (around 5 GB)

A bit off-topic, but I was doing some neural network stuff on excessively large geotiff images the other day and it was using over 57GB of RAM and 89GB of swap... ;)

$ smem -k -t | (head -n1; tail -n3)
  PID User     Command                         Swap      USS      PSS      RSS 
3116616 *****    /home/*****/repos/arctic-ic    89.1G    57.2G    57.2G    57.2G 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  225 2                                      109.1G    59.6G    59.7G    62.0G
Edited by DocNappers

13 hours ago, DocNappers said:

A bit off-topic, but I was doing some neural network stuff on excessively large geotiff images the other day and it was using over 57GB of RAM and 89GB of swap... ;)

$ smem -k -t | (head -n1; tail -n3)
  PID User     Command                         Swap      USS      PSS      RSS 
3116616 *****    /home/*****/repos/arctic-ic    89.1G    57.2G    57.2G    57.2G 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  225 2                                      109.1G    59.6G    59.7G    62.0G

Sheeeeesh, what are your PC specs?? :blink:

8 hours ago, Octavio1 said:

Sheeeeesh, what are your PC specs?? :blink:

It's not particularly high-spec other than the RAM since it's several years old now, but it has an i7-7700K, a 1080Ti and 64GB of DDR4 RAM with dynamically allocated swap. It's my work machine for neural network development.

10 hours ago, DocNappers said:

It's not particularly high-spec other than the RAM since it's several years old now, but it has an i7-7700K, a 1080Ti and 64GB of DDR4 RAM with dynamically allocated swap. It's my work machine for neural network development.

well I can see why you don't have memory issues, I should eventually get an upgrade for that lol

On a side note, one of my recently made fighters has an issue where clicking on a weapon (such as a gun) doesn't fire when clicking, even with everything that's needed, changing out the weapons to a different gun doesn't help either, only this one has a problem for some reason :/ (I am using the 10/21 update)

Edited by Octavio1

3 hours ago, bruh_moment said:

Got an issue with the VTOL AI Pilot Module, it only seems to adjust the vessels throttle if that vessel is currently switched to, if you are switched to another vessel while the VTOL/Helicopter AI Pilot is active, it will not adjust its throttle.

You're most likely using a FireSpitter engine. BDA+ can activate the engine, but FS has a check for the vessel being the active vessel in order to control it.
Also, the VTOL/Heli AI is very limited compared to the pilot AI since it's based on the surface AI and hasn't really had too much work done on it.