Minecraft is dying, and we need your help!

Y'ello folks,

So something a little bit different for today. Recently I caught wind of a group attempting to stop "chat filtering" being implemented into Minecraft Java Edition. On researching this topic I have realized that this is a very important goal. Let's give y'all a rundown!

Minecraft, in a nutshell, will make a chat report system that makes it so saying the word "hell" or something alike could get you banned from the entirety of Minecraft. You heard me right. Not just multiplayer and realms. If you get banned, your singleplayer worlds are locked for the duration of the ban. And if it's a permanent ban? The entirety of your Minecraft install is whisked away. This is... Many people have called it the beginning of the end. Microsoft has made the worst decision they possibly could. And the chat report system is flawed, too! Many bugs and even workarounds have been found! Why in Herobrine's name do we need a chat report system for a game where servers moderate themselves! You can't even curse in singleplayer! You can't get banned in singleplayer for cursing alone (obviously) but it's censored. Signs, nametags and the chat are all cursing protected. What the hell, Microsoft?! How can you offend someone when they aren't even there?!?!

So, what can we do? Well, you can start by joining their discord server (sorry mods if this is against the rules. we need your help BADLY!). They're currently making a final push to stop them rolling the update out. Here's the link to the event: https://discord.gg/5dXrerpt?event=999798089084850236  And here's their server: https://discord.gg/saveminecraft

We need your help now! Do you want your childhood game to die? Fade away? Become a game that's so quote on quote "child friendly" that you can't even say heck? 

By helping us you are not just helping a mere discord server grow. You are helping save arguably the most famous videogame of all time. Please, spare a few minutes of your time, and repost this everywhere you can. Twitter, Discord servers, whatever. Just spread the word.

That's it. This was Second Hand Rocket Science, signing off.

#saveminecraft

Edited by Second Hand Rocket Science

1 minute ago, HebaruSan said:

When I've seen things like this before, it's turned out to be exaggerated alarmism. Is there any factual basis to what you've said?

Player Reporting in Minecraft: Java Edition – Home

Addressing Player Reporting Tool | Minecraft

Player Chat Reporting Feedback – Minecraft Feedback

In-Game Chat Moderation and Reporting : Minecraft (reddit.com)

Take a look.

Most of these sound reasonable. But this system is just waiting to be abused. Unlike Roblox's reporting system, almost every report is going through and being moderated, ranging from hour bans to permanents. If this wasn't including singleplayer worlds, this wouldn't be an issue... much. But banning you from your own worlds where you can't offend anyone is just extreme. Too extreme.

Edited by Second Hand Rocket Science

Just now, Second Hand Rocket Science said:

OK, I've taken a look. That page bears virtually zero resemblance to what you've alleged in the OP.

36 minutes ago, Second Hand Rocket Science said:

Minecraft, in a nutshell, will make a chat report system that makes it so saying the word "hell" or something alike could get you banned from the entirety of Minecraft. You heard me right.

But the link shows clearly that "saying the word 'hell'" is a very extreme exaggeration; clear categories are laid out, none of which even slightly resemble mild cursing:

Player Report Categories 

• Imminent harm - Self-harm or suicide. 
    • Someone is threatening to harm themselves in real life or talking about harming themselves in real life. 
  • Child sexual exploitation or abuse. 
    • Someone is talking about or otherwise promoting indecent behavior involving children. 
  • Terrorism or violent extremism. 
    • Someone is talking about, promoting, or threatening with acts of terrorism or violent extremism for political, religious, ideological, or other reasons. 
  • Hate speech. 
    • Someone is attacking you or another player based on characteristics of their identity, like religion, race, or sexuality. 
  • Imminent harm - Threat to harm others. 
    • Someone is threatening to harm you or someone else in real life. 
  • Non-consensual intimate imagery. 
    • Someone is talking about, sharing, or otherwise promoting private and intimate images. 
  • Harassment or bullying. 
    • Someone is shaming, attacking, or bullying you or someone else. This includes when someone is repeatedly trying to contact you or someone else without consent or posting private personal information about you or someone else without consent (“doxing”). 
  • Defamation, impersonation, false information.
    • Someone is damaging someone else's reputation, pretending to be someone they're not, or sharing false information with the aim to exploit or mislead others. 
  • Drugs or alcohol. 
    • Someone is encouraging others to partake in illegal drug related activities or encouraging underage drinking. 

Not just multiplayer and realms. If you get banned, your singleplayer worlds are locked for the duration of the ban. And if it's a permanent ban? The entirety of your Minecraft install is whisked away.

There's no support for this whatsoever at that link. The word "singleplayer" doesn't appear anywhere. In fact, it directly states the opposite:

• If action is taken, the offending player’s account is suspended from online play for some duration of time or in extreme cases permanently 

As far as I can tell those are the only substantive allegations in the OP, and they're plainly false.

FYI, the forum doesn't notify if you edit a post. I'll leave my previous response as it was.

This one's even worse for your case. Again the word "singleplayer" doesn't appear, and again the 'hell' or 'heck' scenario is explicitly ruled out:

CAN I GET BANNED FOR SWEARING/PROFANITY?  

No, we will not ban players just for swearing or profanity. The type of behavior that will get someone suspended or banned is hate speech, bullying, harassment, sexual solicitation, or making true threats to others. Hate speech is talk that is intended to insult, intimidate, or threaten an individual or group based on a trait or attribute of their identity, such as sexual orientation, religion, color, gender, or disability. These behaviors do not belong in Minecraft and will have the consequence of a temporary suspension or permanent ban depending on the severity and frequency.

The other two new links seem to have no relevant content that isn't covered in the ones I've already reviewed.

Most of these sound reasonable.

Actually, the whole thing sounds pretty reasonable (meaning the actual system/policy, not the imaginary one you described in the OP), even necessary for any company providing multiplayer content in 2022.

If this wasn't including singleplayer worlds, this wouldn't be an issue... much. But banning you from your own worlds where you can't offend anyone is just extreme. Too extreme.

I guess you should be relieved then, since there's no indication that will happen.

Edited by HebaruSan

i think its silly to depend on private servers but to keep the censorship centralized.  a lot of people are calling this the 1.19.84 patch, which is just damn clever. 

that said anarchy servers just wont be the same without the hate speech. 

Edited by Nuke

11 hours ago, Second Hand Rocket Science said:

it so saying the word "hell" or something alike could get you banned from the entirety of Minecraft.

It violates the setting. In Minecraft you should say "Nether!" instead.

"Go to nether, bloody pig!"
"I'm just from there. And thanks for the compliment, it's my self-made piglin skin."

get you banned from the entirety of Minecraft. You heard me right. Not just multiplayer and realms. If you get banned, your singleplayer worlds are locked for the duration of the ban. And if it's a permanent ban? The entirety of your Minecraft install is whisked away. This is... Many people have called it the beginning of the end.

When they were trying to recondition Addams, that's how it ended.

Spoiler

Microsoft has made the worst decision they possibly could.

No. It's just a prelude.

"Look, Windows 10 isn't threatening your privacy, it just collects errors to make it better!", were saying the smug internet IT guru.

1. Windiows X gets into every cell of your body, you can't control your own PC.

2. (Without arguing about the reasons, but) now in Russia you can't officially downoad MS products from their webpage (thanks, there are alternative ways to get and use them).

3. They start deciding if you can play the paid game offline (if I get this right) on your own PC without their permission.

4. ...

5. You're minecrafted.

That's the crime and fault of the Linux community that instead of developing a fortress against the microsoft monster, they were playing their infantile sandbox games "Let's make a thousand of semi-built distributives", "It doesn't work? Read a ton of manuals!", "Losers need GUI, true guys do it with hand by hands", and others.

*) Btw, Ubuntu has officially gone from Russia, too. Of course, this doesn't matter technically, but still. Don't tell me about the fair will of Linux.

Edited by kerbiloid

41 minutes ago, Nuke said:

well with the direction guis are going, a command line looks a lot more like home. 

But the command line usability is a significant limiting factor for Linux to be used as a common all-purpose desktop.

7 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

But the command line usability is a significant limiting factor for Linux to be used as a common all-purpose desktop.

android is probibly the closest we get to getting normies to use linux. that said i hate all phone style interfaces.

3 hours ago, Second Hand Rocket Science said:

I managed to list the wrong sources... Do a little digging for a few minutes and you'll immediately see what I'm talking about. 

Is that actually true?  Or is what you said just wrong?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.