What's that? You said it's been a while since KSP Forums had a Metallic Hydrogen Thread? Well, here you go!

A clear candidate for Thread of the Month

• It's Timely (3 days left in July),
  • on Topic (Weird Science!)
  • ...and New, Never Before Seen!

Theory suggests that all elements should transition to a metallic state if subjected to strong enough pressure. ... Early research looking for the transition state of hydrogen led to theories that it would reach a metallic state when hydrogen molecules disassociated completely. That led to many efforts to see if such theories were true—sadly, none were successful.

but wait... there's more

. They found a sudden drop from 0.6eV to 0.1eV at 80K, comprising promising evidence of hydrogen forming into a metallic state as theorized.

!!!!:confused::o:confused:!!!!

Noting that deuterium nuclei are heavier than hydrogen, the researchers reasoned that they should be less delocalized than protons and thus should require more pressure to transition. To find out if that was the case, the team reran their 2020 effort, only this time, they used deuterium instead of hydrogen. They found the band gap decreased in ways similar to the hydrogen experiment, but it did so at 460 GPa, possibly confirming the theory.

And Look!

Sauce: Promising evidence of deuterium forming into a metallic state at high pressure (phys.org)

20 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

A clear candidate for Thread of the Month

• It's Timely (3 days left in July),
  • on Topic (Weird Science!)
  • ...and New, Never Before Seen!

but wait... there's more

!!!!:confused::o:confused:!!!!

And Look!

Sauce: Promising evidence of deuterium forming into a metallic state at high pressure (phys.org)

You know metallic hydrogen are fighting words.

That said... I won't knock scientists for trying.

Hey - Phys.Org wouldn't print something sensational just for readership (would they?).  

It's not one of these:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBHWIStO0I8g738fXLmhX

Also - please note: I used a bunch of exclamation marks, bolding, emojis and even colors!  So vote early, vote often!

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

11 minutes ago, Scotius said:

I won't believe it, until I can buy a set of knives made out of hydrogen :lol:

Want to blow your mind?

Imagine what you'd have to quench them in for hardness and temper?

Perhaps the waters of Judecca?

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

Jupiter has a full metal jacket.

Spoiler

1920px-Jupiter_diagram.svg.png

P.S.
Does it mean that if remove that gas junk from top, the Jupiter will be perfectly shiny, and reflect huge and distorted faces of the crew looking at it, like in house of (curved) mirrors?

Edited by kerbiloid

24 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Want to blow your mind?

Imagine what you'd have to quench them in for hardness and temper?

Perhaps the waters of Judecca?

"Complex fraud" you say? Well, nowadays everything in stores is "nano" or "quantum". Who knows if couple of years from now "hydrogen" knives won't be all the rage? :cool:

4 hours ago, Scotius said:

"Complex fraud" you say? Well, nowadays everything in stores is "nano" or "quantum". Who knows if couple of years from now "hydrogen" knives won't be all the rage? :cool:

After the 4D hyperdimensional ultrasound screening got real, why not hydrogen knives?

Edited by kerbiloid

8 hours ago, Scotius said:

I won't believe it, until I can buy a set of knives made out of hydrogen :lol:

“Chewie! Pass me the hydro(gen) spanners!”

11 hours ago, Scotius said:

I'll be the one to mention that this might imply metallic hydrogen.  But for any newcomers, metallic hydrogen isn't the "miracle fuel" that was hyped across space.  Hyped "metalic hydrogen" means meta-stable metallic hydrogen, which appears nearly impossible for it to exist.  If this is metallic hydrogen, it almost certainly popped back into normal liquid state right after losing the pressure.

Of course if it exists, what happens to astronomy?  Astronomers often talk about matter consisting of "hydrogen, helium, and metals (i.e. everything else)".  Will they now have to talk about "normal hydrogen, helium, metals, and other metals"?

1 hour ago, wumpus said:

Of course if it exists, what happens to astronomy?  Astronomers often talk about matter consisting of "hydrogen, helium, and metals (i.e. everything else)".  Will they now have to talk about "normal hydrogen, helium, metals, and other metals"?

I had this thought, too - but couldn't frame it as well as you just did.

Metals all the way down?

Non-hydrogen metals.

Ahydrogen metals.

Multiprotonic metals.

P.S.
Btw neutrons belong to the periodic table, too.
Just protonic chaunvinism makes people think that not.

They are 10n, a (radioactive) chemical element with zero protons in a core (so,atomic number Z=0) and one neutron.

They have 0 electrons and zero electronic cloud.
They are ionized (neutral ions with zereo charge), and they are a neutral electronless metal and noble gas.

Only one isotope is known for them.

Edited by kerbiloid

20 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Btw neutrons belong to the periodic table, too.
Just protonic chaunvinism makes people think that not.

They are 10n, a (radioactive) chemical element with zero protons in a core (so,atomic number Z=0) and one neutron.

They have 0 electrons and zero electronic cloud.
They are ionized (neutral ions with zereo charge), and they are a neutral electronless metal and noble gas.

Only one isotope is known for them.

The 2012 dineutron would like a word.

On 7/29/2022 at 11:39 AM, kerbiloid said:

After the 4D hyperdimensional ultrasound screening got real, why not hydrogen knives?

Reveal hidden contents

An proton beam == hydrogen knife, they are used for cutting and making holes. 
No its not an standard knife, however this is an obvious gun
Screen-Shot-2020-03-06-at-10.05.20-PM-76

Outside of gun laws, hunting laws and range rules :) Probably also vehicle laws who tend to outlaw mounting fixed guns on vehicles, now you could argue that the vehicle is build below the gun to make it mobile. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.