Show and Tell - Mammoth-II Engine

Ghostii_Space

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

fails to contain excitement

:D

That is one mean looking engine. Is it 3.75m diameter like the original Mammoth?

The bell itself looks to be 3m, so I would guess it's a 5m part.

The engine from the video looks oddly familiar to the Boar engine from Restock Plus (I would say it's the exact model, just slightly changed) and we already have a single nozzle version of Mammoth, it's called Vector. They're both KS-25 engines. This engine would be a single nozzle version of the Twin-Boar then. Why call it Mammoth-II? I'm confused. 

13 minutes ago, dok_377 said:

The engine from the video looks oddly familiar to the Boar engine from Restock Plus (I would say it's the exact model, just slightly changed) and we already have a single nozzle version of Mammoth, it's called Vector. They're both KS-25 engines. This engine would be a single nozzle version of the Twin-Boar then. Why call it Mammoth-II? I'm confused. 

The confusion comes from interrupting things from KSP 1 and assuming it applies to KSP 2. Try to remember they are completely separate games and that anything from KSP 1 could be changed in multiple ways or may not exist at all. 

Edited by MechBFP

The mammoth 2 appears to be 3.75 meters, but one big engine, so, I could probably imagine it having the thrust of the maximum amount of vectors squashable into that space, so, about 9.

As for open cycle, it's built for thrust, not isp.

The muscle car, dragster, ramjet gas guzzler of the rockomax range.

Edited by Hyperspace Industries

6 hours ago, Ghostii_Space said:

The Mammoth-II engine, packing all of the performance of the old four-nozzle Mammoth into one very powerful package!

...and each KS-25 has the highest chamber pressure--the reason for four small nozzles and combustion chambers, not one big one (those kept going boom)

I guess there have been some advancements since the S3 KS-25x4 Mammoth from KSP1.

2 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

The bell itself looks to be 3m, so I would guess it's a 5m part.

I was also guessing 5m... are we wrong and its 3.75 with a single bell?

Edit: No, its almost certainly 3.75. Wiki says Kerbals are .75m tall, Im guessing without the suit which might explain the overage. 

16tJwSl.jpg

Edited by Pthigrivi

21 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

I was also guessing 5m... are we wrong and its 3.75 with a single bell?

With the supposed large scale of construction of crafts, 5m engine wouldn't be out of place or unreasonable. But only when the game is released will we get our answer... unless someone confirms the size of the engine. Cough,  Nertea, cough, cough, Nate, cough, cough... ahcoo!!! stupid allergies 

Just an after thought, I wonder if they have a score card for how many forum users guess the proper stats for the stuff they show.

Edited by shdwlrd
After thought

This engine definitely has a lot of interesting potential, and I can't wait to see it in-game! I understand the concern that it might overshadow the regular Mammoth but I think the developers have probably already considered how this engine fits into the engine meta without making any existing ones obsolete. 
We know in-lore that the Mammoth was made to be "a truly enormous engine of the highest efficiency." Early single-nozzle mammoths were giant bombs, so engineers moved to instead cluster together four small but advanced engines to better handle the chamber pressures.
Interestingly the lore suggests the Rhino also suffered from "being a bomb syndrome" and so was retooled to be a vacuum engine, so the development of the Mammoth and Rhino likely comes from a common ancestor.

Judging by the giant pipe on the side, this engine is an open-cycle gas generator type rather than the high-tech closed cycle used by the KS-25. Thus, it seems that rather than go for an engine that was the zenith of thrust and efficiency, engineers sacrificed the latter for raw power, vested in a single nozzle. 

Also to note is that just like the Rhino, this engine having one single bell rather than four spaced out SLS-style means that it could probably also be stack-attached as an upper stage engine or clustered itself into some kind of Mammoth-Mammoth abomination.
Based on all of these observations, I would personally conclude that the Mammoth II is probably going to be a cheaper, "Half-measure" type engine with decent performance at both ASL and Vacuum air pressure, but beaten in both respectively by the Mammoth and Rhino. The gas generator could also mean this engine is cheaper than the Mammoth, since it's less high tech. fulfilling the mixed performance role of the Swivel and Skipper in smaller engine sizes. 

Of course anything or everything I say could be or become wildly incorrect due to changes down the line before KSP2's (probably not that soon) release date, or just poor prediction.

Edited by Dobelong

3 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

Just an after thought, I wonder if they have a score card for how many forum users guess the proper stats for the stuff they show.

Im positive they do. All correct answers are awarded 1 fleurgen, but all incorrect guesses are deducted 3 grumpkins. Your fleurgen to grumpkin ratio is calculated based on your astrological chart and the current estimated value of the drake equation, and the top 232 forum members on the leaderboard will be awarded an extra rank-dot under on their profile, which will continue to remain hidden. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

1 hour ago, Strawberry said:

Considering the fact that this rocket seems to fulfill the niche of big dumb booster (presumably for hauling cargo) this implies some sort of cost for rocket parts outside of resource cost which is fascinating

Thinking more on this, this is delving into massive speculation territory, but I think this may comfort my biggest fear of chemical rockets being completely outclassed.  It looks like even late game youll probably still use chemical rockets for large scale cargo transit and cheap transport which is great. 

I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of an internal betting pool for ranking speculation posts. 

Glad you all like the part! As many of your have remarked, there's a lot of F-1 heritage here in tribute to one of the most famous rocket engines of all time (I'm sorry RL-10, you came in a close second ;) ). This is mixed with some detail inspired from newer F-1 development and surface treatments that draw from modern booster engines that Jonathan has really used to great effect. I'm glad to see people commenting on the beefy, powerful feel - we want our booster class engines to reflect their stats and are developing a distinct visual look for them. 

I like the red heat effect and the tapering tempered blue/purple/brown/yellow look of the cool engine portraying the oxidation layers that would build up on the metal when it has been very hot in the presence of oxidiser, which is any time it burns as it must use an oxidiser to burn liquid fuel!

Also the kerbal's happy dance :)

Edited by boolybooly

*wipes away drool*

:heart_eyes:

I'm getting some F-1B vibes (about time the F-1 was properly represented, the Mastodon wasn't nearly powerful enough). Looks like the gas generator exhaust is mounted on extensible pistons so maybe it can gimbal for roll control?

And the little dancing Kerbal too...

Will there be a Mammoth-1? Perhaps a slightly less powerful, less efficient, and more expensive version unlocked earlier in the tech tree. (Representing the original F-1s vs. this which looks like a more modern design with refined components, more cost effective manufacturing, etc)

Edited by Spaceman.Spiff

8 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Will there be a Mammoth-1? Perhaps a slightly less powerful, less efficient, and more expensive version unlocked earlier in the tech tree. (Representing the original F-1s vs. this which looks like a more modern design with refined components, more cost effective manufacturing, etc)

I think that's just the mammoth engine in ksp1

On 7/29/2022 at 5:19 PM, BowlerHatGuy2 said:

Musics fire. Kinda wish we saw the engine running tho :(

On 7/29/2022 at 8:24 PM, Ahres said:

Shoutout to Howard Mostrom. Man I can't wait to hear the full soundtrack. I noticed this track has some extra percussion than we've heard in the past. It sounds really good. Combined with the visuals it's going to be so incredible. The opening shot of the Pol Show & Tell still gets me. 

I know this is a video to show off the engine, but the music really stood out to me as well. This game is going to sound amazing :D 

On 7/29/2022 at 10:24 PM, Ahres said:

Shoutout to Howard Mostrom. Man I can't wait to hear the full soundtrack. I noticed this track has some extra percussion than we've heard in the past. It sounds really good. Combined with the visuals it's going to be so incredible. The opening shot of the Pol Show & Tell still gets me. 

I have played Planetary Annihilation, one of Star Theory games with Howard Mostron soundtracks. I expect great things to come out of KSP 2.

My favorite piece.

On 7/30/2022 at 8:59 PM, Spaceman.Spiff said:

F-1 engine is already represented by KE-1 mastodon from making history DLC.  F-1B (Mammoth-II) was considered for SLS and Mammoth engine (Four vectors) is the SLS engine
KE-1_Bare.png