Lunar hopes and Cosmic Dreams: A Kerbalised Apollo Program.

Ashiepoppy

INTRO

Hello people of the internet and welcome to a new KSP forum series I am doing. This series will be a kerbalised take on the Apollo Program. After reading a whole host of space alternate histories, from e of pi's "Eyes Turned Skyward" featuring Apollo derivatives, to @TruthfulGnome's No Shortage of Dreams featuring his take on an alternate Skylab program, to @Talverd's Chasing Dreams starring an alternate, kerbalised Space Shuttle program with his own fleet of orbiters and combined with my own love of the Apollo Program and what it could've been, I thought why not start my own alternate history thread, starring my own, kerbalised take on the Apollo Program, or should I say....APHELION PROGRAM. 

Yeah I'm terrible at introductions, anyhow this thread will feature of a variety of screenshots and missions from the Aphelion  program from 1964-1973, anyhow, hope you all enjoy :>

And please, go check out all of the post I've mentioned above, not only have they inspired me to create this thread, but also are absolutely astonishing and are certainly worth your time.

(SA-1 through 4 have been cut out as, to me at least, they were relatively boring though I do have a screenshot from SA-4, the final single stage flight of the Cronus I)orRGnQm.png

MODLIST:

Spoiler

AlphaMensae's Modular Launch Pads

Animated Decouplers

B9 Part Switch

Benjee10 Suits

Bluedog Design Bureau

Camera Tools continued

Community Category Kit

Community Resource Pack

Conformal Decals

Custom Pre Launch Checks
Coatl Aerospace

Deployable Engines

Distant Object Enhancement 

DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric

Dock Rotate

Environmental Visual Enhancements Redux

Harmony 2

HullcamVDS Continued

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - Next

Kerbal Konstructs

KSRSS

Kopernicus

MechJeb 2

Milkyway Skybox - SpaceEngine

Omega's Stockalike Structures

PlanetShine (Default)

Real Plume (Stock configs)

Reentry Particle Effect Renewed

Restock 

Restock +

Waterfall  (Core and Restock)

TweakScale

TUFX (Configs by @Pioneer_Steve)

Trajectories

Textures Unlimited

Texture Replacer

TantaresLV, Spacecraft and probes

Simple Adjustable Fairings

Sigma Dimensions

SCANSat

CA-5

"And in December, while I do not regard our mastery of space as anywhere near complete, while I recognize that there are still areas where we are behind – at least in one area, the size of the booster – this year I hope the United States will be ahead

With the first flights of the Cronus I successfully validating the first stages perfomance in flight, even having a water ballast detonate in high altitudes, it was time to test out the second stage. The C-IV with 6 RL-10 engines to support it's second stage on the fifth flight of the Cronus I: CA-5

FCcGcqP.png

Atop LC-34 stands the fifth Cronus I rocket, perparing for the first flight of it's C-IV stage.

z60NwvE.png

9, 8, 7, 6, 5, we have ignition!

6vT0ZFq.png

3, 2, 1, 0, commit...We have liftoff, CA-5 lifting off!

1vqP6vD.png

The Cronus I rocket pierces the sky on its way to test the C-IV stage.

xIJnprf.png

YBWcE9W.png

iREjeIP.png

For the first time in the Cronus I's history, the C-I from the C-IV. Four ullage motors further seperate the 2 stages and allows the fuel to be pushed towards the bottom, allowing the 6 RL-10 engines to ignite.

eNiHduV.png

The 6 RL-10 engines burst into life, burning liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen to place the rocket into a 130 x 1,231 kilometer orbit.

iTZKoVa.png

The rocket stage continued to send a stream of telemetry data for about 3 days before losing contact, presumably due to running out of batteries. It's scheduled to peform an uncontrolled reentry over the Pacific Ocean.

With the C-IV and C-I stage now sucessfully verified in flight, now came for the next series of test flights. A mockup Aphelion spacecraft, comprising of boilerplates Command and Service Modules, alongside real LES rockets will be used to test and verify the aerodynamics of the Aphelion spacecraft.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.