Paraterraforming Mod

InfoTheGamer

jKSZ6AG.jpg

Paraterraforming Mod

This mod adds various paraterraforming parts, chemical reactors, and cool trusses for solar system exploration.

Release Links:

Primary: https://spacedock.info/mod/3066/Paraterraforming

Secondary: https://github.com/InfoTheGamer/Paraterraforming

Parts/Statics included:

Statics:

• Chemical Reactors:
    • Hydrogenation
    • Cracking
    • Polymerization/FT
    • Hydration/RWGS
    • Sabatier
    • Electroreduction
  • Chemical parts:
    • Low-g distillation towers
    • Cryogenic sphere (30m)
    • Extremely Large Pipeline w/ straight, curve, angle variations
    • Ground Pipeline w/ straight, curve, angle variations
  • Geodesic Domes:
    • 200m dome
    • Regolith dome (750m)
    • SpaceX - style domes (500m, 750m w/ variations)
    • 1km dome
  • Advanced Parts:
    • O'Neill Cylinders
      • Ohio-Class (Borman Station), 200m x 500m
      • Manara-Class, 6km x 55km
      • Belt-Class, 5km x 56km
    • Lunar Power Plant
    • 1km mass driver
    • 47km mass driver
    • Regolith habs w/ variations
  • Solar Panels:
    • Singular
    • 3x5 Array, 48 kW at Earth distance

Parts:

• Truss Parts:
    • Star Truss (from CxP)
    • COADE trusses:
      • Single, double; with red/grey variants
    • Octahedral trusses:
      • 50m, 100m, 25m
    • Decahedral truss, 40m:
      • Red, grey variants

Image Album (WIP):

coming soon

Changelog:

v0.2:

• First official release!
  • Fixed Star Truss
  • Added scaling to all truss parts
  • Added: hydrogenation, polymerization, electroreduction, Sabatier reactors
  • Added another pipeline set
  • Added regolith cylinder habs
  • Added functionality to 47km Lunar railgun

v0.1:

• First repo! This should only be for alpha testers; as such, there WILL be bugs and you SHOULD tell me about them.

Watch the trailer here:

More parts coming soon!

Edited by InfoTheGamer
edit

5 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

That’s a known issue. The small one is sorta working but colliders are still being worked on

Alright this thing is gonna be really cool once it's up and running tho, haven't seen anything like a mass driver in KSP so far

4 hours ago, Vovical said:

Alright this thing is gonna be really cool once it's up and running tho, haven't seen anything like a mass driver in KSP so far

So the issue is colliders on an accelerating object are awful and even KSP mechazilla's have a problem with colliders. Even if I put more than one, or make the collider very large, you will still not be able to not glitch out. 

There is a caveat, though. I remember a mod called StanfordTorus or something similar, and it had a mass accelerator which was functional and was possibly an engine with a non-damaging plume. Since I'm trying to make a constant acceleration mass driver, I have no clue if moving an internal engine in a static is even possible. So for now they're mostly visually cool.

5 hours ago, InfoTheGamer said:

So the issue is colliders on an accelerating object are awful and even KSP mechazilla's have a problem with colliders. Even if I put more than one, or make the collider very large, you will still not be able to not glitch out. 

There is a caveat, though. I remember a mod called StanfordTorus or something similar, and it had a mass accelerator which was functional and was possibly an engine with a non-damaging plume. Since I'm trying to make a constant acceleration mass driver, I have no clue if moving an internal engine in a static is even possible. So for now they're mostly visually cool.

Amazing mod my dude

I suggest you add a stanford torus and Eve cloud cities

On 7/31/2022 at 11:17 AM, InfoTheGamer said:

This mod adds various paraterraforming parts, chemical reactors, and cool trusses for solar system exploration.

https://github.com/InfoTheGamer/Paraterraforming

https://spacedock.info/mod/3066/Paraterraforming

This page still is a WIP, enjoy the mod.

Are you sure you want a MIT license?
people can use your stuff as they like
i say use All Rights Reserved or CC-BY-NC-ND

Edited by An Amongus Sussy Player

On 8/1/2022 at 10:27 PM, An Amongus Sussy Player said:

Amazing mod my dude

I suggest you add a stanford torus and Eve cloud cities

Are you sure you want a MIT license?
people can use your stuff as they like
i say use All Rights Reserved or CC-BY-NC-ND

I am considering a very large expansion to the mod, adding Stanford tori, maybe some cloud cities, Loftstrom Loops, and Orbital Chainsaws.

I may change the license, but I want people to change my stuff and privately use it if they want. "Let the kids have the music," really, as long as I'm credited and no other clones of Paraterraforming show up on Github or Spacedock.

21 hours ago, InfoTheGamer said:

I am considering a very large expansion to the mod, adding Stanford tori, maybe some cloud cities, Loftstrom Loops, and Orbital Chainsaws.

I may change the license, but I want people to change my stuff and privately use it if they want. "Let the kids have the music," really, as long as I'm credited and no other clones of Paraterraforming show up on Github or Spacedock.

This is the correct approach to intellectual property 

On 8/7/2022 at 4:00 AM, InfoTheGamer said:

make it CC-BYSA  then

On 8/1/2022 at 1:40 PM, Vovical said:

On 8/1/2022 at 5:54 PM, InfoTheGamer said:

There is a caveat, though. I remember a mod called StanfordTorus or something similar, and it had a mass accelerator which was functional

The real mass driver mods are here. This one gives a brief and hard kick to the payload but can be stacked to make the kick time longer.

Netherdyne mod IMGUR album

This one is more like what this mod hopes to achieve. It also even "magnetically" holds the payload in the meantime and has a system for consuming fuel and accelerating itself (if in orbit) so it doesn't deorbit itself while firing. But it's clearly marked as beta.

On 8/6/2022 at 5:00 PM, InfoTheGamer said:

On 8/8/2022 at 8:16 AM, An Amongus Sussy Player said:

make it CC-BYSA  then

I'm pretty interested in seeing this expansion. Huge parts in KSP tend to be a thing that people just don't do because of a few very obvious constraints or deterrents such as:

• The tax is places on you as an artist to detail the textures or geometry
  • The file size of the textures if they exist
  • Physics range makes huge parts impractical and possible kraken bait
  • Certain functions require stock or mod plugin features that don't exist (such as this mod requires KK to provide resource converters, resource harvesters and "pressurized, breathable volumes" which would make statics in general exceptionally useful).

MIT is a license which is specific to plugins and their source code but it is functionally the same as CC-BY-SA which is general and more appropriate for mods that are mainly models and textures. There's no real need to change it now due to this similarity and that everyone with a basic understanding of KSP mod licenses gets the point. However, changing from MIT to ARR is a foul play and will get you hated fast.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

On 7/31/2022 at 12:17 AM, InfoTheGamer said:

https://github.com/InfoTheGamer/Paraterraforming

https://spacedock.info/mod/3066/Paraterraforming

This page still is a WIP, enjoy the mod.

Some pics would be nice.

Sounds like a nice mod.

Regarding the license, it's whatever you want.  Most of the mods I write are either GPL, MIT or CC-By (or some variant).  The point about the MIT license is valid, but in reality, you probably won't be able to do anything if someone did copy and attempt to claim it for their own.  Wouldn't hurt to have a slightly stricter license, though.

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Some pics would be nice.

Sounds like a nice mod.

Regarding the license, it's whatever you want.  Most of the mods I write are either GPL, MIT or CC-By (or some variant).  The point about the MIT license is valid, but in reality, you probably won't be able to do anything if someone did copy and attempt to claim it for their own.  Wouldn't hurt to have a slightly stricter license, though.

I'm going to change the MIT license to the GNU GPL 3.0, it seems like a better decision now that you pointed it out. 

I am working on making the page look presentable as I was on vacation when I posted the mod; I'm also working on 2 projects now (inspiRE and a HOPE VASIMR project) so I'll get around to it this week. Good to see you around, @linuxgurugamer 

• 3 weeks later...

Should I add tether-based megastructures to the mod? They would be mostly just for visuals because rigging a launch loop is way over my expertise.

Next update is going to include a massive (>1km^2) polypropylene/polyethylene/other byproducts plant for atmospheric bodies. There may be a variant for vacuum bodies (bring your own CO2), and I am heavily considering adding fusion fuel processing plants.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, namreK haidebeJ said:

Are there any plans for spherical habitats?

If you're talking about O"Neill Island I habitats, I don't think I'll be doing those. Cylindrical habitats to me seem like they would be more livable because of the centripetal acceleration remaining constant throughout the longitudinal axis (except maybe for the caps), and a sphere would have max acceleration in the midpoint and 0g at the caps.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.