add an experiment in the new game that detects signs of past or present alien life like primitive bacteria and have some fully habitable planets with some weird animals everywhere and u can punch them or something and maybe some are aggressive so the kerbals can have guns to defend themselves

• 4 weeks later...

Hear me out...

What if kerbals could collect hair, milky teeth and fecal samples from the animals?

And maybe if there are plants too, from which you can get seeds and plant them in the spaceship, while performing growing experiments?

Also fruits. If a kerbal finds a tree he can take a fruit and either plant it in a base or eat it, giving him lets say, 5% speed on the surface. Fruits should also be able to be turned into organic fuel for ion or nuclear engines.

Edited by Aerodynamic Kerbal

On 7/31/2022 at 8:07 AM, awsumguy76801 said:

and u can punch them or something and maybe some are aggressive

I've always wondered what causes some alien species to 'maybe (...) be aggressive'.

I get the distinct feeling that there's some type of causal relation, but I can't quite put the fist on it...

12 hours ago, Aerodynamic Kerbal said:

Hear me out...

What if kerbals could collect hair, milky teeth and fecal samples from the animals?

And maybe if there are plants too, from which you can get seeds and plant them in the spaceship, while performing growing experiments?

Also fruits. If a kerbal finds a tree he can take a fruit and either plant it in a base or eat it, giving him lets say, 5% speed on the surface. Fruits should also be able to be turned into organic fuel for ion or nuclear engines.

Yes. 101% yes

It would be a great idea to have aliens that you can trade materials with, for example, they will give you 20L of liquid fuel and oxidiser if you give them 10 kgs of ore from Eeloo.

They should give you missions as well, like taking one of their kind and landing it on Duna for a reward. Pretty much contracts in career, but a little more complicated.

Let us not forget about the possibility of detecting an S.O.S. signal from a foreign ship that you can rendezvous with and commit blunderbird.

And maybe you can even spot their ships while drifting away in space. Like a giant space station that you can dock to and refuel. You have to pay with credits just in career.

7 hours ago, Aerodynamic Kerbal said:

It would be a great idea to have aliens that you can trade materials with, for example, they will give you 20L of liquid fuel and oxidiser if you give them 10 kgs of ore from Eeloo.

They should give you missions as well, like taking one of their kind and landing it on Duna for a reward. Pretty much contracts in career, but a little more complicated.

Let us not forget about the possibility of detecting an S.O.S. signal from a foreign ship that you can rendezvous with and commit blunderbird.

And maybe you can even spot their ships while drifting away in space. Like a giant space station that you can dock to and refuel. You have to pay with credits just in career.

That's very No Man's Sky or Elite, but it is hardly Kerbal. That's besides the fact there is no scientific backing for other civilisations in the Universe yet and there's no good way to do this in a realistic way. Other games fill this niche, namely No Man's Sky and the Frontier/Elite series as I mentioned earlier. They're worth checking out if you like space-opera type fictions.

11 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

That's very No Man's Sky or Elite, but it is hardly Kerbal. That's besides the fact there is no scientific backing for other civilisations in the Universe yet and there's no good way to do this in a realistic way. Other games fill this niche, namely No Man's Sky and the Frontier/Elite series as I mentioned earlier. They're worth checking out if you like space-opera type fictions.

KSP is the ultimate sandbox, it can be whatever you want it to be using your imagination. Traveling to other solar systems is something for when you have completed the original tech tree, it extends the game and gives you more to achieve. Doing missions and forming trade routes with an alien race to open up new technologies and improve your standing with them adds lots more to do and increases the immersion for those who really get in to that side. I have never played those other games but can you build whatever your imagination comes up with in them?

52 minutes ago, ColdJ said:
12 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

KSP is the ultimate sandbox, it can be whatever you want it to be using your imagination. Traveling to other solar systems is something for when you have completed the original tech tree, it extends the game and gives you more to achieve. Doing missions and forming trade routes with an alien race to open up new technologies and improve your standing with them adds lots more to do and increases the immersion for those who really get in to that side. 

KSP is an education tool first and foremost and it'd leave a very sour taste if the game touted a universe where 9 out of 10 planets have a station around them inhabited by aliens. It's not KSP. The most KSP should do is bacteria research and it should end there as that's as far as modern science can see in regards to aliens. If you really want it, build it yourself; "it can be whatever you want it to be using your imagination", but don't have stations already there waiting for you. It kills the spirit of the game.

52 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

I have never played those other games but can you build whatever your imagination comes up with in them?

That is not a niche for KSP to fill unless you want to populate the systems yourself.

Edited by Bej Kerman

7 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

KSP is an education tool first and foremost and it'd leave a very sour taste if the game touted a universe where 9 out of 10 planets have a station around them inhabited by aliens.

Wasn't me who said stations already waiting. Some of the missions would be you building things like stations for them. I would have the Aliens be as advanced as when the Kerbals start their career but have different types of technology because they approached things from a different angle. KSP is an education tool if you want it to be but that is personal choice, some people use it as a way to build their designs, others like to simulate aerial combat, some make complex machines, others use it to challenge themselves. It is up to the individual, and KSP gives them the freedom to choose for themselves.

57 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Some of the missions would be you building things like stations for them.

That still goes against the spirit of KSP. Aliens in any shape or form beyond bacteria are a hard no. NMS and 1984 Elite already provide universes full of aliens to take missions from, but KSP should be depicting the Universe as it really is - mostly sterile, ripe for discovery. A mission to build a station from a Kerbal corporation as opposed to an alien one would be functionally identical and still fit KSP's spirit, anyway - there's very little need for aliens besides appeal to a space-opera audience KSP wasn't designed with in mind, and as I said that's not what KSP is meant to be doing.

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

KSP is an education tool if you want it to be but that is personal choice

It's not a personal choice, it's literally the reason that it exists, to provide beginners with a simulation of real physics back when such a thing aimed at newcomers was rare. Now KSP 2 can properly extend that to stuff like extracting bacteria and science from Duna's ice caps as its scope expands well beyond that of KSP 1 and can teach new players about how planets will be detected and probed. Definitely nothing multicellular, though. 

On 8/28/2022 at 10:48 PM, Bej Kerman said:

KSP is an education tool first and foremost and it'd leave a very sour taste if the game touted a universe where 9 out of 10 planets have a station around them inhabited by aliens. It's not KSP. The most KSP should do is bacteria research and it should end there as that's as far as modern science can see in regards to aliens. If you really want it, build it yourself; "it can be whatever you want it to be using your imagination", but don't have stations already there waiting for you. It kills the spirit of the game.

That is not a niche for KSP to fill unless you want to populate the systems yourself.

yes what you are saying no intelligent aliens like it should be a realistic take on aliens most of them in the game would just be bacteria and small multicellular things

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.