[0.17][Stock] IPL VII

This monstrosity will get you to any planet/moon in the solar system without lag on take-off.*

As well, it gets about 83 tons to solar orbit (top portion + 1 tank of fuel in a lower stage). IPL VII stands for InterPlanetary Lander VII.

(*if you don't have millions of debris near the launch pad)

Sldtc.png

[ATTACH]33950[/ATTACH]

Edited by Mindofscience3

Frankly this is incredibly inefficient. The thrust to weight ratio is horrible....

Point was to get the upper stages into solar orbit. It works and doesn't lag too much. That makes me a happy man. I'm sure you can make a much better rocket, but if you ever need to compensate for anything, this is your rocket! Not that I need to or anything.

You honestly don't need all that to get to Jool. As I'm finding out slowly, conservative sized ships can get you pretty far :) But if this thing is where asperagus staged properly...(boom)

If you can successfully asparagus stage this, I would be interested in trying it out. Every time I try to asparagus, it always gets really unstable.

If you can successfully asparagus stage this, I would be interested in trying it out. Every time I try to asparagus, it always gets really unstable.

The reason why you're not successful with it is because you forgot a fuel line somewhere and it caused your ship to become un-balanced, fuel emptied more quickly on one side of the rocket than the other. So the heavier side tipped downward and ruined your day. Has happened to me a few times, I was as baffled as you were till i found the solution. Only way I fly now!

*If you don't check your fuel line placement and staging....you're gonna have a bad time!*

The reason why you're not successful with it is because you forgot a fuel line somewhere and it caused your ship to become un-balanced, fuel emptied more quickly on one side of the rocket than the other. So the heavier side tipped downward and ruined your day. Has happened to me a few times, I was as baffled as you were till i found the solution. Only way I fly now!

*If you don't check your fuel line placement and staging....you're gonna have a bad time!*

Tried it with Asp staging. The result is that it's unstable and will self destruct when 3 engines are left. Everything is staged right, just general instability when there is one central and 2 outer engines. Probably SAS's fault but can't investigate now.

Does it randomly fly apart and/or explode? That could be a throttling issue. Basically what happens is your top stage is so heavy that the rocket stage that's firing is pushing up to hard against it. The acceleration is too great for the structural integrity of the rocket. Try adding struts between stages, throttling back a little, and add control surfaces to keep level flight. 50% of the time, it works every time lol. Make sure you're asping correctly too. I'm serious, one mistake and the whole thing tips over due to fuel imbalance. On average I save about 25% more fuel from asp staging, so it is extremely helpful. Somewhere on the forums, there is a really good guide on how to do it, I'll try and find it. It's more than fuel lines and staging.

Edit: Here's that link, scroll down to where it talks about asparagus staging. Cheers :)

Edited by jonathan_92

Does it randomly fly apart and/or explode? That could be a throttling issue. Basically what happens is your top stage is so heavy that the rocket stage that's firing is pushing up to hard against it. The acceleration is too great for the structural integrity of the rocket. Try adding struts between stages, throttling back a little, and add control surfaces to keep level flight. 50% of the time, it works every time lol. Make sure you're asping correctly too. I'm serious, one mistake and the whole thing tips over due to fuel imbalance. On average I save about 25% more fuel from asp staging, so it is extremely helpful. Somewhere on the forums, there is a really good guide on how to do it, I'll try and find it. It's more than fuel lines and staging.

Edit: Here's that link, scroll down to where it talks about asparagus staging. Cheers :)

Asp'd correctly. The top stage is just heavy at ~60 tons. I tried with mechjeb and instead of tearing itself apart, it was just too unstable to keep pointed up. I like launching at 90° x 90° (straight up) for simplicity's sake. I can't compare vs onion staging as the 4-5 launches so far have been CATOs.

Edited by Mindofscience3

Nasa wants their computer back, I know. But in reality, without much debris it won't lag. The debris is really the lag causer. Either way, it'll stop lagging ~2500m or so as the debris gets too far away to matter anymore.

Then its not big enough.. I usually go for one frame every 3rd second on a clean install with my large ships =>

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.