Huey and Chinook Helicopter parts pack.

ColdJ

License: CC-BY-SA-4.0

Link https://spacedock.info/mod/3072/Huey and Chinook Helicopter parts pack.

Updated to 1.0.1

As pointed out to me by @Caerfinon and @doctorbai

My part variations were pointing to my Hind mod and so if that was not installed then no textures showed up, this has now been fixed.

Hi. This is a parts pack that uses the half size MK3 parts system like can be found in Airplane plus and is compatible with those parts.
Provided are parts to make the equivalent of a Huey helicopter and a Chinook troop or cargo helicopter with a loading ramp.
You can mix and match to make several variations.
Included is a rocket pod that uses the fireworks system, and you should adjust it once attached to get the effect you want.

The engine bases that sits on top of the fuselages are a hinge and require that "Breaking Ground" be installed for functionality. The main rotor attaches to it's top node and this allows the rotor to be tilted in flight for stable horizontal flight.
The tail planes are fully functional and as such create drag on vertical movement when rising and descending. The Huey nose is designed to exactly counter the drag at the other end and needs to be attached when the tailplanes are so that the craft doesnt pitch violently when moving vertically. The nose and the tail sections also have adjustable ballast so that once you have built your craft you can balance it so that the centre of thrust from the rotor goes straight through the centre of mass.
The Chinook doesn't have tail planes and empty is usually balanced, the cargo tail has the ballast system. The external fuel tank that attaches to the bottom and gives the fuselage the Chinook look is also a lifting surface, but as it is central, it doesn't cause the uneven drag. Having some lifting drag on the helicopters has been found to make them more stable.

Being that the Chinook is a heavy helicopter, it's rotor has a small spool up and down delay and so when taking off and landing you should allow for the time it takes to react, especially for landing so that you don't hit the ground hard by waiting too long before throttling up to slow your descent. Half throttle is usually enough to get most loads off the ground.
The Huey rotor is a bit more responsive but not as powerful.
Everything has nodes for click and connect. Be sure to check the Centre of mass and thrust before launch and adjust so they are through each other.
Type Huey in the part search for all the Huey parts and Chinook for all the Chinook parts.
I hope you will have some fun with this.

Huey_and_Chinook_Helicopter_parts_pack-1

1 2 3 4 5 6

Edited by ColdJ
Update

13 hours ago, dondnn said:

are you planning to add uh-60 and ch-53

Not immediately as I am finally getting on with making Thunderbird 1. The next helicopter I do will probably be a Sikorsky S-64 Sky crane in a MK3 size as it is a much larger helicopter. If or when I do a Sea Stallion it will also be in the Mk3 size for the same reason.

So in the future it is possible but it won't be for a while.

I installed this morning and all the parts are present, however they appear as all grey. The textures all loaded in  in ksp.log however when a different variant is selected the model remain grey.  The icons in the part selector are also white. 

z3ps9Rm.png8Wp0XIm.png

These are the texture files that are in the mod parts directory 

ztZAVQc.png

[LOG 07:10:01.175] Load(Texture): HueyCJ/Flags/Army
[LOG 07:10:01.183] Load(Texture): HueyCJ/Flags/Rescue
[LOG 07:10:01.192] Load(Texture): HueyCJ/Parts/Hind
[LOG 07:10:01.199] Load(Texture): HueyCJ/Parts/HindA
[LOG 07:10:01.204] Load(Texture): HueyCJ/Parts/HindB
[LOG 07:10:01.210] Load(Texture): HueyCJ/Parts/HindBR
[LOG 07:10:01.219] Load(Texture): HueyCJ/Parts/HindDB
[LOG 07:10:01.245] Load(Texture): HueyCJ/Parts/HindDC
[LOG 07:10:01.251] Load(Texture): HueyCJ/Parts/HindDS
[LOG 07:10:01.256] Load(Texture): HueyCJ/Parts/HindE
[LOG 07:10:01.261] Load(Texture): HueyCJ/Parts/HindFG
[LOG 07:10:01.267] Load(Texture): HueyCJ/Parts/HindIS
[LOG 07:10:01.272] Load(Texture): HueyCJ/Parts/Hindold
[LOG 07:10:01.278] Load(Texture): HueyCJ/Parts/HindRC
[LOG 07:10:01.283] Load(Texture): HueyCJ/Parts/HindS
[LOG 07:10:01.289] Load(Texture): HueyCJ/Parts/HindWL
[LOG 07:10:01.294] Load(Texture): HueyCJ/Spaces/Hind
[LOG 07:10:01.299] Load(Texture): HueyCJ/Spaces/HindB
[LOG 07:10:01.304] Load(Texture): HueyCJ/Spaces/HindE
[LOG 07:10:01.309] Load(Texture): HueyCJ/Spaces/HindS
[LOG 07:10:01.315] Load(Texture): HueyCJ/Spaces/Pilotseat

Let me know if there is any more information I can provide. 

Let me know if there is any more information I can provide. 

You appear to have everything you need. Do you by chance have a texture replacing mod that might over rule or overide stock part variation through a MM patch?

Gray models and white in the part list happens when the configuration file can't find the referenced texture file, but your pic appears to show everything where it is supposed to be.

Edited by ColdJ

@Caerfinon @doctorbai

Damn, I always forget something. I just worked out what I have done. I built it on the Hind mod and then when I gave it it's own folder structure I failed to change the part variation from" HindCJ" to "HueyCJ" .So anybody who already has the Hind mod wouldn't realise. I will go in and edit all the config files to point to the right folder and put out an update.

9 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

All is working now. I'm very impressed that the rotors are working with Throttle Controlled Avionics. It has become my go to Helicopter/VTOL flight assistant.

That is good and interesting. Can it control the hinges or does it just lean the helicopter in a direction?

55 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Can it control the hinges or does it just lean the helicopter in a direction?

It will lean the helicopter in the direction you want to go unless you add an engine group at the rear of the craft set to Maneuver/translation. A well concealed Juno engine does the trick 

10 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

It will lean the helicopter in the direction you want to go unless you add an engine group at the rear of the craft set to Maneuver/translation. A well concealed Juno engine does the trick 

So I guess I will need to make something like the Sikorsky S-97 pusher prop helicopter in the future. :)

I am hoping to build the Bubble Ship out of the movie Oblivion some day too.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.