Jump to content

I'll say it again... the weather!


Recommended Posts

Since I'm not an atmospheric player, all I want from a weather system is dynamic clouds. I want to be able to look at Kerbin and see a hurricane on the surface.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

The flight model better surpass Ferram given how much work has already gone into the rest of the game. Aerodynamics should always be half the equation in a space sim.

Honestly bro, between the likes of mods like FAR, Principia, Parallax, EVE(I hope we get those sweet volumetrics), scaterrer, kerbalism, RO etc; I have pretty high standards for KSP 2. Maybe I've been spoilt or something after playing these mods, but I would at least expect KSP 2 to better at least 3 of these (Especially the Visual mods, and life support).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They'd be cool, but I hope they are only visual additions, I don't want to have to worry about thunder storms during launches and my planes be swept up in a hurricane.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

They'd be cool, but I hope they are only visual additions, I don't want to have to worry about thunder storms during launches and my planes be swept up in a hurricane.

I think there should be a way to enable/disable it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

They'd be cool, but I hope they are only visual additions, I don't want to have to worry about thunder storms during launches and my planes be swept up in a hurricane.

I would like that, tbh. Just like in the real world, you time your launch to avoid bad weather. But, unlike in the real world, you could launch into a storm if you want the challenge or are willing to risk it. That'd add quite a bit of depth to each launch; imho, no two launches should be identical, even with the same vehicle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, whatsEJstandfor said:

I would like that, tbh. Just like in the real world, you time your launch to avoid bad weather. But, unlike in the real world, you could launch into a storm if you want the challenge or are willing to risk it. That'd add quite a bit of depth to each launch; imho, no two launches should be identical, even with the same vehicle.

I feel like it comes down to balance. You don't want to have to scrub 80% of launches due to bad weather conditions on Kerbin, you want most cases of storm or wind to be pretty minor, and you still want those moments of absolute storm that can ruin a launch. On other planets the balance can be different, but getting it right on Kerbin is the most important part. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

I would like that, tbh. Just like in the real world, you time your launch to avoid bad weather. But, unlike in the real world, you could launch into a storm if you want the challenge or are willing to risk it. That'd add quite a bit of depth to each launch; imho, no two launches should be identical, even with the same vehicle.

Yes, but I would hate to have to "Time" launches, I just enjoy throwing rockets and flying them, having to change for a storm or something just seems like a bad idea,  as @t_vsaid above, waether on other planets can do what it wants, that will add challenge, but when I'm just launching from kerbin, I don't want to have to scrub launches.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

They'd be cool, but I hope they are only visual additions, I don't want to have to worry about thunder storms during launches and my planes be swept up in a hurricane.

I don't think a fear of messing up while in bad conditions should be reason for ridding the game of challenges like this. Reasons for not doing this should be technical, not difficulty related.

Just now, Rutabaga22 said:
3 hours ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

I would like that, tbh. Just like in the real world, you time your launch to avoid bad weather. But, unlike in the real world, you could launch into a storm if you want the challenge or are willing to risk it. That'd add quite a bit of depth to each launch; imho, no two launches should be identical, even with the same vehicle.

Yes, but I would hate to have to "Time" launches, I just enjoy throwing rockets and flying them, having to change for a storm or something just seems like a bad idea,  as @t_vsaid above, waether on other planets can do what it wants, that will add challenge, but when I'm just launching from kerbin, I don't want to have to scrub launches.

What about the players that do enjoy launching in bad conditions? It's not like it'll destroy your rocket altogether, it would just serve as some kind of challenge to break the monotony. If you really can't launch in bad conditions, time warp for a few seconds - or practice with bad conditions, because the solution to a lack of skill is not avoiding challenges altogether.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/14/2022 at 9:15 AM, TheKSPBeginner said:

Thunder!

Rain!

Wind!

All so super exciting!

Weather plays a huge role in real world launches and landings on planets. Seasonal effects have dire consequences on when we launch rovers to mars etc.

For those that want a sandbox experience, make an option to turn off weather; or time warp.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, saxappeal89129 said:

Weather plays a huge role in real world launches and landings on planets. Seasonal effects have dire consequences on when we launch rovers to mars etc.

For those that want a sandbox experience, make an option to turn off weather; or time warp.

This, just wind make parachute landings of large parts impossible, something like an first stage, well New Shepard don't do it because it will tip over, you can still land more pancake stuff this way.

Now I expect it to mostly affect landing and planes, but yes low clouds makes landing an plane hard. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, magnemoe said:
1 hour ago, saxappeal89129 said:

Weather plays a huge role in real world launches and landings on planets. Seasonal effects have dire consequences on when we launch rovers to mars etc.

For those that want a sandbox experience, make an option to turn off weather; or time warp.

This, just wind make parachute landings of large parts impossible

How so? Engineer around the problem. For instance, if you're landing on the bell of your engine, then don't -- use landing legs instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

How so? Engineer around the problem. For instance, if you're landing on the bell of your engine, then don't -- use landing legs instead.

Always uses landing legs, the problem with  parachutes for landing is that you are moving sideways at the wind speed and its very hard to compensate for the drift. 
Again neither SpaceX or Blue origin uses it for landing first stages. Rocketlab and ULA want to use helicopter capture who probably work as helicopters are fast enough to intercept and the payload is lighter. 
It works for capsules as they have an low center of gravity but as I understand Soyuz  capsules has been dragged around quite a bit by wind. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Always uses landing legs, the problem with  parachutes for landing is that you are moving sideways at the wind speed and its very hard to compensate for the drift. 
Again neither SpaceX or Blue origin uses it for landing first stages. Rocketlab and ULA want to use helicopter capture who probably work as helicopters are fast enough to intercept and the payload is lighter. 
It works for capsules as they have an low center of gravity but as I understand Soyuz  capsules has been dragged around quite a bit by wind. 

Then what's the problem with not using parachutes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...