So instead of actual living kerbals it would be cool if there were robotic ones like NASAs robonaut that could do everything kerbals could do but of course they would need to have electrical charge and have a connection to kerbin. because they are not alive they could be stored outside a space capsule and could survive stuff that kerbals normally couldnt like high speed impacts or lava etc. 

330px-Robonaut_2_working.jpg

R2 with proposed terrestrial legs

800px-Robonaut2_and_Dan_Burbank.jpg

just imagine these things but with a more kerbal like form

On 8/14/2022 at 10:04 PM, BowlerHatGuy2 said:

I don’t know man. Cool for a mod but would make kerbals obsolete.

how would it make kerbals obsolete, you can make rovers in the game that can basically do everything a kerbal can kerbals are special because they carry risk with them and u usually want to get them home the robotic kerbals are just tools to be used and arent important theyre just another space probe

2 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Robotic kerbals...? Not saying anything but, there is a read eyed kerbal around here in Xenon and on. Second one from the left. The kermanator:grin:

I think the red eyed Kerbal is an unfortunate victim of the photography phenomenon :)  As for the idea of robotic kerbals in general, I think it would depend on if they could enable new types of gameplay. If KSP2 has cave systems or other areas where rovers can't operate and the environment is too unforgiving for squishy Kerbals, then it's possible that robo Kerbals could be useful. If either one of these things are not true, then I don't see what robotic Kerbals would add apart from coolness.

21 hours ago, TROPtastic said:

I think the red eyed Kerbal is an unfortunate victim of the photography phenomenon :)  As for the idea of robotic kerbals in general, I think it would depend on if they could enable new types of gameplay. If KSP2 has cave systems or other areas where rovers can't operate and the environment is too unforgiving for squishy Kerbals, then it's possible that robo Kerbals could be useful. If either one of these things are not true, then I don't see what robotic Kerbals would add apart from coolness.

I suggest the Kerbal model has way too many polygons if rendering engine is producing that photography phenomenon. 

Hmmm maybe something like R2D2?

On 8/17/2022 at 4:27 AM, Rutabaga22 said:

Robotic kerbals...? Not saying anything but, there is a read eyed kerbal around here in Xenon and on. Second one from the left. The kermanator:grin:
image.png.8bc1ccaf34e08cbc0e42a9183b4de333.png

No all of them have a red dot, the second one was just unlucky enough to get it on his eye

On 8/16/2022 at 7:46 PM, awsumguy76801 said:

how would it make kerbals obsolete, you can make rovers in the game that can basically do everything a kerbal can kerbals are special because they carry risk with them and u usually want to get them home the robotic kerbals are just tools to be used and arent important theyre just another space probe

Could tie electrical resource to them (batteries), which would make them less functional and require solar etc.

Would also fit the narrative of automation for smaller bases. 

I've always found it interesting that Kerbals can live for hundreds of years lol, doesn't seem to crush the emersion though.

On 8/16/2022 at 8:27 PM, Rutabaga22 said:

image.png.8bc1ccaf34e08cbc0e42a9183b4de333.png

What might be cool is actually progressing in tech to outfit Kerbals with cyber implants; better flight stats, better survivability on planets. Add in upgrades for suits for longer stints in harsh environments. Cool stuff.

for any of u that are wondering my idea is that the robotic kerbals will need to recharge and have batteries and stuff they could be deployed by kerbals like the breaking ground experiments are and once they are switched on they function like super buffed engineers that can carry super heavy objects and manipulate larger parts and they have more eva fuel so they can fly around for longer and if there is any life support in ksp 2 obviously wouldnt need any they would be very helpful for building bases but they would have limitations like not being to go in liquids and cant be controlled if theyre not in communication range