New to KSP!! Awesome game but so frustrating

tke_quailman

Hi thanks for having me love the game and its only been 3 days

Current issues and problems

-To much thrust decouplers fail and everything goes boom

-Is the game updated often with new/better parts? Or should i start downloading add-ons?

-If so which ones and are they all bug free?

-Also how do the devs feel about the add-ons

-I haven't even made it into orbit or deep space =(

-Do i really need all the math if i wanna get to the mun and beyond? No guidance computer =(

Edited by tke_quailman

Hi tke_quailman, welcome to the community :)

Yeah, the large engines are so powerful, they can collapse your rocket, I suggest you throttle back, you lose efficiency if you muscle through the atmosphere anyway, try to keep the G meter in th green :)

By my guest and download add-ons from here.

Some add-ons have bugs, and I recommend Tosh's carts, Orda, Damned aerospace, zoxygene and the Lazor :)

Look here for an excellent tutorial on flying in KSP

And you don't need maths at all, the map can show you the way, especially if you set Conic_Patch_Limit to 3 or 4 in the settings.cfg, or try this :)

Welcome!

I just wanted to tell you that many of us don't use any calculations at all, and have flown our way to the Mun, Jool, Eve and so forth. It just takes practice. Also, don't feel bad if you accidentally fly a rocket apart. I've been playing since version .14 and I still sometimes over-cook the throttle, tearing boosters off of radial decouplers and things of that nature.

At any rate, Welcome aboard!

This game is extremely frustrating, and very hard. But after struggling with it for a while, you won't believe how rewarding it is to finally get something to work. The struggle is part of the fun. Don't be alarmed that so many players talk about the math so much on the forum; it's just one style of playing. You will be more efficient if you do the math, but you can get by without it, too.

Strut connectors are great too. Plug a couple of those between the failing parts and they should be a lot sturdier.

The game is in alpha so new things are being added all the time, but in the meantime you can use addons to supplement anything you think is missing.

As a dev, I can say that I really enjoy the modding community. They're always coming up with great and clever ways of interacting with the game. I actually got my start working on KSP as a modder in the community before I was hired as a developer!

You'll find I think, that its more important to have an understanding of the concepts, then the math behind it. The orbital projections and conics do a good job of handling the math for you. But you still need to understand the how, and why of orbital movement in a broad sense to get around. Once you master changing the size, shape and inclination of you're orbits. You'll find that with sufficient fuel, you can get pretty much anywhere in the solar system!

Don't feel bad about using auto-pilot systems either. They're very helpful to allow people to experience parts of the game they would otherwise have trouble accessing.

I tell you what, I still remember the first time I successfully landed on the Mun, you get a great feeling of accomplishment when you finally pull it off. :)