Planetary system editor

Would you want a system editor in KSP 2  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Would this be a good addition

2. 2. Should it be a dlc or update

3. 3. If it is a dlc what should the price be

I think(as a future update or dlc) would be cool, with sharing of custom systems. And then a selection screen to select the systems in your world and your starting world and system.

Edited by Ryaja

System editor as in rearranging the planets? Could go as a free mod.

Planet maker, on the other hand... Could also go as a free mod (KSP1 had Kopernicus), but good luck to everyone who tries to build planets even slightly comparable to these without a team of professionals and multiple programs to work with.

Spoiler

CDtNo5R.png

KoDqmDF.png

7n090N9.png

VAgdFmI.png

18 hours ago, The Aziz said:

System editor as in rearranging the planets? Could go as a free mod.

Planet maker, on the other hand... Could also go as a free mod

If it was official it could work with the steam workshop or a sharing system inside the game better. I was thinking you would create a whole new system. Also, if it was built into the game it would most likely have a better UI and game integration. Mods could add assets to it.

18 hours ago, The Aziz said:

but good luck to everyone who tries to build planets even slightly comparable to these without a team of professionals and multiple programs to work with.

Yes, you would not have the same quality but the KSP 2 team could upload basic assets to the editor.

Totally out of scope for stock IMHO.  

As an official standalone program then ok, why not.  But don't under estimate the amount of work involved to create detailed, interesting and varied planets etc 

It would be amazing! I don't think it would be too crazy, but the planet editor could just be

-Scatter
-Recolor
-Terrain
-Atmosphere Scale
-Atmosphere Makeup

Then the terrain would be random generated based on the terrain selection

6 hours ago, Rutabaga22 said:

It would be amazing! I don't think it would be too crazy, but the planet editor could just be

-Scatter
-Recolor
-Terrain
-Atmosphere Scale
-Atmosphere Makeup

Then the terrain would be random generated based on the terrain selection

Which would give lots of uninspiring, similar looking, balls of rock.

Certainly, randomising using the above options would work as a starting point, or for small moons etc.  But adding the details and cool features that make the planets interesting and different enough to each other to inspire and make it worth the effort of exploring them takes time imagination and attention. 

Look at how often players mention how dull and 'samey' many if the KSP1 planets and moons are.

On 8/18/2022 at 11:50 PM, pandaman said:

Which would give lots of uninspiring, similar looking, balls of rock.

Certainly, randomising using the above options would work as a starting point, or for small moons etc.  But adding the details and cool features that make the planets interesting and different enough to each other to inspire and make it worth the effort of exploring them takes time imagination and attention. 

Look at how often players mention how dull and 'samey' many if the KSP1 planets and moons are.

Yes but for the few people who spent much time making planets it will be amazing 

8 hours ago, Ryaja said:

Yes but for the few people who spent much time making planets it will be amazing 

I agree...

As long as the right tools are included to manually adjust and detail things properly.