Hydraulic Cylinders

Is it possible, after placing a craft into orbit with a limited extension, to remove that limit on its extension? I miscalculated how much extension I needed and don't really want to relaunch the component. For some numbers. I limited the telescopic cylinder's extension to 4.20 rather than the default for the 3PT which is 4.80 and now I want it to be 4.80 again without having to relaunch a new version of it.

Any ideas?

5 hours ago, Darkchaos256 said:

Is it possible, after placing a craft into orbit with a limited extension, to remove that limit on its extension? I miscalculated how much extension I needed and don't really want to relaunch the component. For some numbers. I limited the telescopic cylinder's extension to 4.20 rather than the default for the 3PT which is 4.80 and now I want it to be 4.80 again without having to relaunch a new version of it.

Any ideas?

If you're relatively computer literate, you may be able to edit your savefile. I'll assume Windows but you can do similar with Linux and Mac:

1. Save your open KSP game twice with 2 different names, such as "backup" and "testfix".
  2. Alt-tab out of the game, leaving KSP open.
  3. Open "testfix.sfs" with your favorite text editor (Notepad, Wordpad, etc.).
  4. Search the your vessel's name or for the value "4.20" you want to change.
  5. When you find "4.20" read a little above that to verify you are actually editing the cylinder and not a coincidental appearance of that number on a different part. Keep searching until you get to the right spot.
  6. Change the value to "4.80".
  7. Save "testfix.sfs" as "testfix1.sfs".
  8. Alt-tab back into KSP.
  9. Open "testfix1" in KSP.
  10. Check your ship. Does the cylinder extend more? If yes you're good.
  11. If the cylinder does not extend, you may have changed the wrong place, or you may have to edit the cylinder in multiple lines. Edit testfix1 more if needed.
  12. If things go really bad and you corrupt a savefile where it ruins a ship or becomes unopenable by KSP, reload "backup.sfs", save it to a new name, then repeat from #2 using that new name.
Edited by DeadJohn

12 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

If you're relatively computer literate, you may be able to edit your savefile. I'll assume Windows but you can do similar with Linux and Mac:

1. Save your open KSP game twice with 2 different names, such as "backup" and "testfix".
  2. Alt-tab out of the game, leaving KSP open.
  3. Open "testfix.sfs" with your favorite text editor (Notepad, Wordpad, etc.).
  4. Search the your vessel's name or for the value "4.20" you want to change.
  5. When you find "4.20" read a little above that to verify you are actually editing the cylinder and not a coincidental appearance of that number on a different part. Keep searching until you get to the right spot.
  6. Change the value to "4.80".
  7. Save "testfix.sfs" as "testfix1.sfs".
  8. Alt-tab back into KSP.
  9. Open "testfix1" in KSP.
  10. Check your ship. Does the cylinder extend more? If yes you're good.
  11. If the cylinder does not extend, you may have changed the wrong place, or you may have to edit the cylinder in multiple lines. Edit testfix1 more if needed.
  12. If things go really bad and you corrupt a savefile where it ruins a ship or becomes unopenable by KSP, reload "backup.sfs", save it to a new name, then repeat from #2 using that new name.

I figured it would require a savefile edit. I basically wanted to check whether there was any in-game way I was missing. Editing the savefile wasn't an issue, thanks very much!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.