KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

Is your USB stick USB 3? Some BIOS/UEFI's have some trouble dealing with that. What CPU/chipset is in it?

I would suggest removing as many other bootbale devices as possible to help things along a bit.

It's a USB 2.0 (For that very reason) and it's a Samsug Chronos 7 laptop with Intel-i7.

So I want to get a new video card so I can play titanfall and ksp.

Currently I have a AMD Radeon HD 6450 most of the upgrades I see are out of my 130$ price range, is there anything I can get for that price that will last me if I have to spend more than I will but I'd really like to stick to that price range.

My processor is an AMD FX -4130 Quad-Core Processor if it's relevent info.

I`m running a I7 950(@4Ghz with liquid cooling) 24Mb RAM (@1600Mhz) OS on SSD, a 6 drive RAID, Nvidia GTX 570 (OC to 900Mhz). It`s one of the video/effects machines (not the new one) so it can do pretty much anything as far as games goes.

I`m running very stable on a 650W Corsair power supply. It`s a good supply though, modular. You really need to check the max amps needed on each rail and allow some headroom.

You can have a huge power supply but go over on just one output and it will crash your machine often. Most people get a cheap huge power supply instead of a good quality one that is adequate.

So I want to get a new video card so I can play titanfall and ksp.

Currently I have a AMD Radeon HD 6450 most of the upgrades I see are out of my 130$ price range, is there anything I can get for that price that will last me if I have to spend more than I will but I'd really like to stick to that price range.

My processor is an AMD FX -4130 Quad-Core Processor if it's relevent info.

I would grab a 750 Ti if i were you, The price/performance ratio is amazing, and it barely uses any power. Its a reasonable budget upgrade.

Im having some trouble installing the drivers for my graphics card. My card is a XFX Radeon HD 7870 ghz Edition. Whenever I try to install the drivers with the AMD Catalyst Suite, the screen goes black and this error pops up-

KoMt3V8.png

It then proceeds to restart. I have tried to install it both from USB and from my hard drive. I have also tried installing it from the disk that came with the card, but when I click to run the setup for it nothing happens.

Another problem is that the card isn't showing up in my device manager, all it shows is the integrated graphics on my motherboard.

So far I have been able to install the drivers for the LAN, USB and audio and the optical drive.and I haven't gotten anything else to install.

My best guess is that my motherboard drivers aren't up to date and isn't letting it recognize the graphics card. Just thought i'd ask for help here.

Specs: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/38VhU

EDIT: I finally got the motherboard drivers installed... still not detecting the graphics card though.

Edited by xzxvrx

If your card is not showing in the device manager you might be having bigger trouble than just drivers. If possible, test the card in another computer, because it might very well not be working right.

Are you getting any signal from it at all? And are you sure you hooked up all the correct power cables?

You could try forcing your computer to look for the videocard by disabling the onboard in the UEFI/BIOS, but I am not too sure that will help a lot.

I am not a normal visitor here so please forgive me-

I am angry- my computer has started making an annoying low level buzz that is detected by my microphone and its frustrating. Applying pressure or even contact to the back of my computer stops it. It isn't really about computer building but you guys will know something on the subject I'm sure. Please help

If your card is not showing in the device manager you might be having bigger trouble than just drivers. If possible, test the card in another computer, because it might very well not be working right.

Are you getting any signal from it at all? And are you sure you hooked up all the correct power cables?

You could try forcing your computer to look for the videocard by disabling the onboard in the UEFI/BIOS, but I am not too sure that will help a lot.

I attempted to test it with another computer, but the card barley won't fit inside it.

When I power on, the fans start spinning so I am going to assume that it is getting power.

In the BIOS, it is set to try using the card first, then to use on-board video.

At this point I am going to guess that it is a problem with the card.

When I power on, the fans start spinning so I am going to assume that it is getting power.

That is a dangerous assumption :) Dit you fill all the necessary power lines with the right plugs? Spinning fans do not mean sufficient power.

In the BIOS, it is set to try using the card first, then to use on-board video.

Is your monitor cable connected to the card or to the motherboard/onboard socket? Do you get any signal from the GPU at all?

Edited by Camacha

I am angry- my computer has started making an annoying low level buzz that is detected by my microphone and its frustrating. Applying pressure or even contact to the back of my computer stops it. It isn't really about computer building but you guys will know something on the subject I'm sure. Please help

Is it a mechanical or electronic buzz? With noise there is just one solution: find the source. Go over your components methodically, carefully temporarily stopping fans for a few seconds if you need to. Eliminate possible causes until you find what you were looking for.

That is a dangerous assumption :) Dit you fill all the necessary power lines with the right plugs? Spinning fans do not mean

sufficient power.

I contacted support from the manufacturer of the card. I'm probably going to end up getting a higher-wattage PSU.

Without great Overclocking 430W should be enough for your PC, that cant be the reason...

You cant assume that, There are a lot of High end GPUs that use a lot of power that if you were to plop them in your system will cause these sorts of problems.

Without proper consideration for that power draw you can run into problems like this.

I contacted support from the manufacturer of the card. I'm probably going to end up getting a higher-wattage PSU.

Manufacturers typically say that, but unless your PSU is of bad quality, 430 watt should be plenty - even for cards that draw quite a bit more power. I would be surprised if your system did over 300 watt under full load on both the GPU and PSU. Your PSU is of a decent make and brand, so to be honest it sounds a bit like a blame game.

The PSU wattage numbers GPU manufacturers come up with need to be taken with a big grain of salt - assuming you buy proper quality components (like you did). Those numbers are based on people buying cheap no name PSU's, which can deliver the rated power only for a few milliseconds (at best), but a much lower continuous amount of power leading to catastrophic malfunctions. Proper brand PSU's can deliver their rated power (and often much more) for long, sustained periods of time and therefore you do not need excess room.

Long story short: unless the unit is defective, you should be good with the system you listed.

(Could you maybe answer the other questions I asked? I helps me to help you :))

Edited by Camacha

When I plug the cable from the monitor to the card, the screen just stays blank. I can only get a signal if I plug it into the VGA socket on the motherboard.

I assume all the appropiate power connectors are plugged in (6-pins and/or 8-pins as needed and filled to maximum capacity), on the card and on the PSU (as it is semi-modular)? No signal at all is not a good sign, typically cards work even without drivers, just not optimally. I would strongly suggest swapping the card to another system that fits it. It can be a pain, but going component by component, from most likely to least likely and excluding them one by one is the best way of dealing with these types of problems.

Alternatively you could try another card in your system. This is a little less certain, but if problems persist, you know there is a good chance the problem lies somewhere else in the system.

Hello.

I am thinking of upgrading the processor on my laptop. The laptop is an Acer aspire notebook. it has an intel B820 processor with built in Intel HD graphics. It runs Ksp great on minimum settings, but it would be nice to run games like space engineers, next car game, etc. with more than 3fps. I was thinking of upgrading to an i3 processor with intel HD graphics 4000.

Does anyone know how i could go about this, if i could even do it on my laptop? Thanks!

Hello.

I am thinking of upgrading the processor on my laptop. The laptop is an Acer aspire notebook. it has an intel B820 processor with built in Intel HD graphics. It runs Ksp great on minimum settings, but it would be nice to run games like space engineers, next car game, etc. with more than 3fps. I was thinking of upgrading to an i3 processor with intel HD graphics 4000.

Does anyone know how i could go about this, if i could even do it on my laptop? Thanks!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but, I doubt the processor is interchangeable. These are mobile processors and are soldered to the motherboard and are not easily changed if they are changeable at all. Sorry but you are stuck with what you have inside the device.

Anyone got any idea why my PC, running Windows Vista 32x Home Basic, is starting at 1024x7680? I have the resolution for it to run in set to the screen's native resolutin of 1600x900 60hz, so why is it starting at a lower than native screen res until I open the Nvidia control panel?

So, I posted way back here with my computer specs, and I'm thinking of finally upgrading my motherboard. With a budget of about $300, what can I expect to get? Bear in mind, I'm a huge fan of silent and fanless components. Thanks!

Edit: I've played around on PcPartpicker, and put this together, with some of the stuff that is already in the computer. How's that look?

Edited by BigFatStupidHead