KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

Not only did I properly back up my files, I am also generating hashes to check their integrity now and over time as we speak. I am so proud of myself. It almost makes up for the short I caused yesterday.

Hello again! I've built the PC you guys recommend about a year ago two? The only thing I changed was the case, RAM, GPU and monitor. I ended up going with something like:

ASrock H87 Pro 4

Quad Core Intel I5 @ 2.9GHz

GeForce GTX 660

16GB of RAM

Zalman Z11 Plus

Hyper 212 Evo + 120mm Fan

Monitors:

Dell 1704FPT 20" @ 1280x1024

Sony Bravia TV 32" @ 1920x1080

Anyways I currently dont have any pics for it. Ive come to ask another question. What should I do with a old PC ive managed to get my hands on. Its from like 2000 or something. Its got some sort of processor, 2* 128MB SD RAM and some other parts. Anybody got some suggestions on what to do with it? Ive thought about turning it into NAS and storing my work files and media on it but Im not sure whether its its got enough ram for the task.

Anyways I currently dont have any pics for it. Ive come to ask another question. What should I do with a old PC ive managed to get my hands on. Its from like 2000 or something. Its got some sort of processor, 2* 128MB SD RAM and some other parts. Anybody got some suggestions on what to do with it? Ive thought about turning it into NAS and storing my work files and media on it but Im not sure whether its its got enough ram for the task.

I would advise against using it as a NAS, server or for any other application that requires 24/7 operation. Old computers are very inefficient and will cost a substantial amount of power (and therefore money) each year. That is fine if you are just using it intermittently or as a fun project, but using it semi permanently is fairly counter productive.

Cheap new computers can often do more for less money than a year of running one of those old ones would cost. Please, think of the penguins.

Too slow and not enough RAM to make a NAS out of it. you'd need at least 1GB minimum to do that, and the more the better. As for what to do with an aging system, I don't really know. I have one sitting next to me that's a pretty good paperweight at the moment. Nobody wants it. Probably best bet is to just recycle it.

Hi there, I was just curious if anyone had either of these three laptops. I'm trying to get back in the Kerbal game but I need a new computer to do so.

Please let me know if you have either one of these & your experience with them. Or if you have an opinion on the matter whatsoever. I'm trying to spend around $1000 so I'm gonna try and buy a used machine. Obviously I'd love to play more than just kerbal, which is why I'm opting for a more expensive gaming laptop in the first place.

I have it narrowed down to these three.

The 2013 Razer Blade 14: I've been finding these used for just north of a grand. The reviews say the screen isn't so great though.

The Lenovo Y50: This is the leader in my mind, but I'd prefer the 14 inch screen of the razer instead of the 15.6 inch on this one.

The Alienware 13 Kind of bulky but I really enjoy that in the future I could buy the box that kicks the graphics up to desktop quality.

Like I said any feedback would be greatly appreciated, and would really help me in my decision making process. I don't have a ton of money so I'd like to get some bang for my buck.

Thanks in advance,

cb

Honestly, I would go with none. The Razer and alienware ones is out because of the overpricesedness and build quality in the case of the Alienware and Razer just because of the price. I wouldn't touch a Lenovo with a 5 foot long pole right now because of what they did with superfish. I would think about getting a desktop since you're probably not going to be moving the laptop around anyway.

Edited by briansun1

Honestly, I would go with none. The Razer and alienware ones is out because of the overpricesedness and build quality in the case of the Alienware and Razer just because of the price. I wouldn't touch a Lenovo with a 5 foot long pole right now because of what they did with superfish. I would think about getting a desktop since you're probably not going to be moving the laptop around anyway.

Thanks for the input. I really do like being able to play anywhere I want which is why I want a laptop.

I've been doing lots of research and these seem like the best 3 for the price. I was about to buy the lenovo, glad I started the thread.

I might just keep a close eye for a cheap Razer to pop up, that thing is beautiful.

I've read about the Lenovo thing too and agree with holding off for a while on those products.

Other than that, I've owned a Razer Deathadder mouse, treated it with love and care but it died on me after a month. I know it's not a laptop, but if the build quality is the same....

From what I hear, Alienware products are pretty sought after, known for their quality but steep prices.

Certainly there must be some more options out there? Especially if you're going for a used one.

Carefull though, laptops are notorious for breaking down fast because of the smaller cases, so inquire about how long the person had it.

I must say I'm a little envious.

I still have a car to buy first.

i like to format the hard drive immediately after a laptop purchase. get the instal iso from ms (not the factory restore disc) and setup a usb boot stick, and write down that os license key. last time i bought a laptop the preinstalled bloatware was intolerable.

i like to format the hard drive immediately after a laptop purchase. get the instal iso from ms (not the factory restore disc) and setup a usb boot stick, and write down that os license key. last time i bought a laptop the preinstalled bloatware was intolerable.

That's how I roll with laptops, too. Clean OS is best OS, and you are insulated from things like Superfish. (Also I love Thinkpad hardware but the preinstalled crapware has gotten out of hand since the change from IBM to Lenovo, even before Superfish.)

Do OEM license keys (printed on the "Certificate of Authenticity" on the PC) work on an installation of retail Windows (as downloaded from MS)? I thought they didn't.

As for the gaming laptops, I'd consider two questions. How likely are you to want to play away from a plug socket*, and how often are you going to want to move it? If the answers are not very likely, and once or twice a week, I'd say the case for a desktop is strong. If on the other hand you'll be carrying it around on a daily basis, yeah you're going to want a laptop.

*A proper socket you can run a desktop PC off. Not counting those "phone/laptop only" sockets on trains and stuff.

Maybe it's because I'm not a moderator, but why the move?

OP asked for buying advice on a gaming-laptop but the thread got merged with a huge desktop (mainly) computer building thread.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a desktop-person myself, but I fear that the OP's cries for help will never be heard again in the mass of virtually unrelated posts here. (Little dramatic there ;))

Maybe it's because I'm not a moderator, but why the move?

OP asked for buying advice on a gaming-laptop but the thread got merged with a huge desktop (mainly) computer building thread.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a desktop-person myself, but I fear that the OP's cries for help will never be heard again in the mass of virtually unrelated posts here. (Little dramatic there ;))

This thread seems to be where the computer-savvy types gather to give out advice, and it's not strictly limited to building desktops. The thread isn't so busy that the advice will get buried, IMO.