KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

I think I am leaning a bit more towards AMD than Intel at this moment. I still see that there are some problems with memory copatibility and MBO-s (well, the one that I am interested in anyways) have some teething problems, but as I said I will be buying everything else with MBO and CPU at the end (that will be somewhere in october I hope) those might be resolved before then.

And just a prise for Arctic Cooling...less then a week since I requested AM4 retention ring for Liquid Freezer 240 it arrived at my door.

On 28/07/2017 at 9:27 AM, Cuky said:

I think I am leaning a bit more towards AMD than Intel at this moment. I still see that there are some problems with memory copatibility and MBO-s (well, the one that I am interested in anyways) have some teething problems, but as I said I will be buying everything else with MBO and CPU at the end (that will be somewhere in october I hope) those might be resolved before then.

I would advise against buying a bit now now and the rest later. Hardware loses its value quickly and there is no benefit in being stuck with the choice you made in advance. Save up and buy the whole caboodle when you are ready.

well the thing is good hardware is quite hard to find here in Croatia...shops tend to get very small quantities which are sold quickly and then you have to wait until (and sometimes if) they get a new bunch. I will be buying parts that can last longer (performance wise) like case, SSD and HDD, fans, etc...I will then buy RAM, CPU and MBO together so that if something out of those 3 most expensive parts comes DOA I can RMA it.

22 hours ago, Cuky said:

well the thing is good hardware is quite hard to find here in Croatia...shops tend to get very small quantities which are sold quickly and then you have to wait until (and sometimes if) they get a new bunch. I will be buying parts that can last longer (performance wise) like case, SSD and HDD, fans, etc...I will then buy RAM, CPU and MBO together so that if something out of those 3 most expensive parts comes DOA I can RMA it.

Fair point. I am unaware of your local situation and how that might affect your purchasing decisions. Purchasing ahead is not sensible in situations where hardware can be ordered at will, but if that is different locally, what is sensible might very well change.

Thanks for reminding me that the things I take for granted are not a given at all :)

1 hour ago, Camacha said:

Fair point. I am unaware of your local situation and how that might affect your purchasing decisions. Purchasing ahead is not sensible in situations where hardware can be ordered at will, but if that is different locally, what is sensible might very well change.

Thanks for reminding me that the things I take for granted are not a given at all :)

Well, it happens to me too...it really is easy to forget that there are places where things are different

But in all honesty, hardware, especially powerful hardware is really hard to get here in Croatia. Say GPUs...currently it is almost impossible to find anything faster than a GTX 1070...some 1080s, usually founders edition, pop out here and there but are sold out really fast. Of course some shops allow you to order cards they don't have on them, but you have to wait for at least few weeks

• 2 weeks later...

Actually could be a lot worse. Take this build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Xs4Tyf

Its about roughly even with one of the 1299 priced builds. However, this is after savings. Without that, you would be losing a nice bit of change.

(I know I'm not factoring OS in that build, because I know its possible to get windows for about 30 dollars.)

As far as performance - I currently run a relatively lightly modded save with 8GB of ram and usually run firefox in the background. Do yourself a favor, try to get 16gb. But performance wise it should be fine to run modded KSP.

Edited by qzgy

Not really a PC question. But the AC adapter of my laptop charger fell in water while it was charging and it stopped working. My laptop is completely out of fuel and can not be charged. What should i do? Can i leave it rice like they do in other devices?

Thinking `bout buying this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-fx-series-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-460-1tb-hard-drive-black/5615009.p?skuId=5615009

Anyone have any comments/experience with it? It seems to have good ratings, but are there any quirks or something?

4 minutes ago, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-fx-series-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-460-1tb-hard-drive-black/5615009.p?skuId=5615009

Anyone have any comments/experience with it? It seems to have good ratings, but are there any quirks or something?

FX series processors are pretty bad, you can build a better PC for less money, it isn't that hard either.

1 hour ago, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

As someone who used to have an FX4300-series CPU, I can say it's getting rather dated. ̶I̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶d̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶o̶s̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶K̶S̶P̶,̶ ̶I̶'̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶c̶o̶m̶m̶e̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶I̶n̶t̶e̶l̶ ̶l̶i̶n̶e̶-̶u̶p̶ ̶u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶D̶D̶R̶4̶ ̶m̶e̶m̶o̶r̶y̶,̶ ̶s̶i̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶u̶p̶g̶r̶a̶d̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶(̶o̶r̶ ̶"̶F̶u̶t̶u̶r̶e̶-̶p̶r̶o̶o̶f̶"̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶c̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶i̶t̶)̶  (as it turns out, the new AMD Ryzen line is actually more "future-proof!"  Intel appears to be planning a new socket type to replace the current LGA1151 socket -- on the other hand, the AM4 Socket for the AMD Ryzen line should last til 2020.) -- plus the Intel CPUs tend to perform better with single-thread tasks than the AMD FX-series.  That said, the new AMD Ryzen line is looking quite promising.  I currently use the Intel i3-6100T, which is entry-level for 7th Gen, but so far has run basically everything I've thrown at it so far.

The RX460 is a decent entry-level graphics card, but don't expect it to run every modern AAA game at full graphics.  That said, it should function admirably for KSP (in my opinion at least).

I always recommend a second (or third, or fourth) opinion before you purchase, however :)

5 hours ago, NSEP said:

Not really a PC question. But the AC adapter of my laptop charger fell in water while it was charging and it stopped working. My laptop is completely out of fuel and can not be charged. What should i do? Can i leave it rice like they do in other devices?

From what I've read, even if you do dry it completely it still has a chance of working incorrectly.  If it were me, I'd buy a new AC adapter rather than risk frying the laptop.

Edited by Slam_Jones
New information added

19 minutes ago, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

I have to agree with most other people's opinions. Not great for KSP and there is a lot better stuff. My system is about 800 USD, but some parts are probably less expensive now. I4690k and a 1060, if you were wondering. Also, if you choose a smaller mobo and cheaper case (mine was about 120), you could probably get a good system for about the same price.

32 minutes ago, Slam_Jones said:

I'd recommend something from the new Intel line-up using the DDR4 memory, since it will be much more upgradable (or "Future-proof" as some would call it)

They really won't be more upgradable. Kaby Lake is the last generation of processors using the LGA1151 socket, so if you want to upgrade you'll need a new motherboard too. AMD's AM4 socket is going to have new processors for it until at least 2020, so that has more futureproofing. Ryzen also has more cores for less and single-core performance is only about 5-10% worse than a comparative Intel. Intel processors use a very cheap material to transfer heat from the processor to the lid, while AMD directly solders it to the lid of the processor, making the processor run cooler. Ryzen chips can't really overclock past 4.0GHz, which is the main disadvantage of them. 

12 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

They really won't be more upgradable. Kaby Lake is the last generation of processors using the LGA1151 socket, so if you want to upgrade you'll need a new motherboard too. AMD's AM4 socket is going to have new processors for it until at least 2020, so that has more futureproofing. Ryzen also has more cores for less and single-core performance is only about 5-10% worse than a comparative Intel. Intel processors use a very cheap material to transfer heat from the processor to the lid, while AMD directly solders it to the lid of the processor, making the processor run cooler. Ryzen chips can't really overclock past 4.0GHz, which is the main disadvantage of them. 

Ah, good to know, thanks for correcting me there.  It looks like AMD is getting much better reviews on their Ryzen line than their FX line, which is good news :)  Perhaps I was a bit hasty in my switch to Intel.  Updated my post to reflect this info.

Edited by Slam_Jones

45 minutes ago, Slam_Jones said:

From what I've read, even if you do dry it completely it still has a chance of working incorrectly.  If it were me, I'd buy a new AC adapter rather than risk frying the laptop.

Good idea thanks!

(yes, I edited it)

Sorry for my lack of knowledge about computers, but I have another question, i`ve done (more) research with you guys` recommendations in mind... The AMD athlon series of processors (more specifically, the X4), are they any good, i`ve seen good reviews so far, but theres not many ones that I trusr *shrugs* .... Maybe i`m paranoid, but whatever.

Edited by RoadRunnerAerospace

2 hours ago, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

(yes, I edited it)

Sorry for my lack of knowledge about computers, but I have another question, i`ve done (more) research with you guys` recommendations in mind... The AMD athlon series of processors (more specifically, the X4), are they any good, i`ve seen good reviews so far, but theres not many ones that I trusr *shrugs* .... Maybe i`m paranoid, but whatever.

Nah, a Ryzen 3 1200 is a great budget processor, basically an i5 7500 at a lower price and more futureproofing.

So I'm considering a new laptop which I want to be able to run KSP smoothly and finally be able to use visual mods. What do you guys think?

Intel Core i7 7700HQ 3.8GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

Thanks for the reply dude. Sadly this is the best graphics card I could afford in a laptop and I need it to be a laptop because this will be my primary computer for work and school too.

On a related note, I found another option that is $400 dollars cheaper but has not so good specs:

Intel core i5 7300HQ 3.5 GHz (vs. Intel Core i7 7700HQ 3.8GHz )
8gb RAM (vs. 16gb)
Nvidia GeForce GTX1050 (same as above)

$400 is a substantial difference given my current budget. Would there be a noticeable difference between the two options in terms of running the game smoothly?

Thanks again for the help!

On another note, why a laptop? Not that I'm anti-laptop, I have a decent laptop myself because I need it for school/internships. 
But with a laptop with those specs above, you can buy a better PC, with overclockable CPU/GPU, and can even buy a cheap laptop extra of the money you safe. 

Also, the thing with laptops is, the chips are not as durable as with a PC, they are getting slower much earlier than a PC.
If you really need a laptop for rendering or something like that on another location than at home, I would suggest you go for the laptop. In other cases, I would just get a decent PC with a cheap laptop for simple things like word etc. So for school. 

Edited by DrLicor

9/10. You could go for a slightly better GPU but its quite good nontheless. Better than my setup.

It should run KSP smooth like butter. I have a computer that is worse but runs KSP and other games with high graphics quality smooth and sleek like a red hot knife through styrofoam.

Edited by NSEP