KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

A little off topic but as we continue talking about SSDs and how bigger is better. I keep thinking of Admiral Jackie Fisher during WWI lobbying parliment for more Dreadnaught Battle Ships. First he said "We only need 2 to beat the germans", then his commanders said "You know what?, 4 sounds good to us.", When it finially got to the cabinet memebers they were screaming in Parliment "We Want Eight, and We Cant Wait!"

And now Leo with the news.

YqM2sOo.jpg

The GTX 770 & GTX 780 have been photographed, Full article with pictures here. http://videocardz.com/41297/nvidia-geforce-gtx-770-pictured

Not going to be better than the titan and scheduled to come out near the end of this month, with the New Rhadeon HD 7990 floating around with some pretty good benchmarks, looks like it can outperform a Titan.

It would be cool if people started posting all computer questions here instead of making tons of threads.

Edited by Leonov

Hey, I want to build a good pc. When I was 6(I know, it's a bit weird at that age) I got lessons from a programmer who builds computes, and we build a few computers that worked togheter.

I don't know what's good and what's bad really, but I want 16 GB ram and a good proccesor and a nice screen(large if possible).

I am going to use it for gaming and more important, programming.

So can somebody help with those 3 points? My computer budget is 1000 dollar, and that's for the whole build, not just these 3 things!

Thank you!

(sorry for my bad english, I am dutch and have dislexia which I also can't spell! :P)

Ill build something on PC part builder, dont know how well american prices will transfer to europe. Do you need keyboard or mice? Wireless or wired?

I don't need a mouse or a keyboard. Thank you for helping me! I just going to purchase it at american sites, then I ship it to the Netherlands, that's my plan.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($109.98 @ Outlet PC)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($124.03 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card ($168.98 @ Newegg)

Case: Logisys CS2008XBK (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.98 @ Outlet PC)

Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)

Monitor: Asus VS278Q-P 27.0" Monitor ($272.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $950.93

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-14 15:01 EDT-0400)

This should cover the basics, The monitor is pretty big and has great reviews.

The case is big enough to hold everything and doesnt look bad.

GTX 650 Ti Boost is clocked as fast as a 660-670, so should handle most of anything.

Most was put into processor, board and monitor. Ram should work fine, that kind should be fairly overclockable if you want to.

I didnt put an OS in because that is up to you, plenty of choices.

This site has a pretty good guide by country so should do you better if what i put together isnt what you are looking for.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/#hsfInfoToggle

Edited by Leonov

Just my luck! I was hoping to ask about upgrading my computer, and this thread suddenly appeared. So here's my current rig:

CPU: AMD PhenomII X4 955 quad core 3.2ghz

GPU: Geforce GTX 660Ti

MotherBoard: Asus M4A77TD

Ram: 16gb 4x4.

Hard Drive Disk: 700gb

Power supply: 700W

Currently, my processor seems to be my bottleneck. I've tried using AMD overdrive to overclock it, but I can only get to 3.5ghz without bsod... and then amd overdrive doesn't keep the settings when I hibernate my computer. Anyway, I want to upgrade to an i7 or an AMD equivalent. Now I don't know if my motherboard can take it, or if I need to upgrade my power supply. I'm going to assume this Asus board could take an i7 and function without some sort of error (such as a fire), but I don't know if I need to up the watts.

Reasons why I say my CPU is my bottleneck: Planetside 2, hit alt + F, brings up FPS count and why it's being limited, and most of the time it says CPU (during frame drops, not during no activity :P). Second Life (which I haven't actually played since December of last year), after getting the GTX 660Ti (around August mind you, so there was a gap between getting this card and leaving SL), performance increase was only minor compared to my friend who had an i7 and the next step down in graphics card. He got 40fps constantly, I only got 40fps if no one was around.

Yes I know, I haven't played SL in quite some time, but I haven't made any changes to my computer since then, so assumptions that I would get the same performance issues will be kept the same. Hell, in this time I've been gone, I highly doubt Linden Labs has made any sort of optimization to SL.

Just my luck! I was hoping to ask about upgrading my computer, and this thread suddenly appeared. So here's my current rig:

CPU: AMD PhenomII X4 955 quad core 3.2ghz

GPU: Geforce GTX 660Ti

MotherBoard: Asus M4A77TD

Ram: 16gb 4x4.

Hard Drive Disk: 700gb

Power supply: 700W

I would agree that your bottleneck is in your CPU, it is dated and no ammount of OC will get it up to par with the GPU.

Your powersupply is plenty big, i dont see any need to upgrade it.

You are on an AMD motherboard, your only option up from what you have would be a AMD Phenom II X6 1075T.

You can upgrade to Intel or AMD, Let me know what you do with your computer and i can help you in a decision.

If you want to build a new rig and reuse the parts you have currently i can put together a list of what i would recomend.

Let me know what kind of budget you have and i can get that list out to you.

Edited by Leonov

I would agree that your bottleneck is in your CPU, it is dated and no ammount of OC will get it up to par with the GPU.

Your powersupply is plenty big, i dont see any need to upgrade it.

You are on an AMD motherboard, your only option up from what you have would be a AMD Phenom II X6 1075T.

You can upgrade to Intel or AMD, Let me know what you do with your computer and i can help you in a decision.

If you want to build a new rig and reuse the parts you have currently i can put together a list of what i would recomend.

Let me know what kind of budget you have and i can get that list out to you.

At the moment, my budget is supposed to be 0, but I think I can get away with a $200 (USD) CPU. I found what you suggested on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-Thuban-Six-Core-Processor/dp/B0041G50LI

Couldn't find it on Newegg, though. Anyone else have an opinion?

for $270USD this would be a good option, http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-Processor-Edition-HDT90ZFBGRBOX/dp/B003FVI2KQ/ref=pd_cp_e_0 i didnt see that this was AM3, but it is so it is an option.

That does say AM3, however amazon suggested a newer version http://www.amazon.com/AMD-FX-8150-Edition-Processor-FD8150FRGUBOX/dp/B005UBNLFK/ref=dp_ob_title_ce Is AM3 + backwards compatible? Or does the + even matter? :P

My computer is a little over a year old.

Asus F1A75-V Pro

AMD A8 3870K 3.0Ghz Quadcore

AMD Radeon HD 6570

Corsair Hydro H60 Watercooling

8GB (2x4GB) GSkill RipJaws X 1600

OCZ 700W Modular PSU (OCZ700MXSP)

60GB Samsung SATAIII SSD 830 Series

500GB HDD Seagate Barracuda

3TB External Toshiba Canvio

Apevia X-PLORER2 Pink Case

It's a low end gaming rig. Plays most games at least at medium settings with decent FPS. Can run most games at high if you don't mind a little below 30FPS.

That does say AM3, however amazon suggested a newer version http://www.amazon.com/AMD-FX-8150-Edition-Processor-FD8150FRGUBOX/dp/B005UBNLFK/ref=dp_ob_title_ce Is AM3 + backwards compatible? Or does the + even matter? :P

An AM3+ CPU will not plug into a AM3 socket.

If you are going to upgrade to a AM3+ socket board i would recomend going with a FX-6300.

This board and processor will be well within your budget and will remove your bottleneck.

Edited by Leonov

An AM3+ CPU will not plug into a AM3 socket.

If you are going to upgrade to a AM3+ socket board i would recomend going with a FX-6300.

This board and the processor will be well within your budget and will remove your bottleneck. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/m1Bh

Now I'm undecided xD So this new set up, will it be better than the AMD Phenom II X6 1075T with my current motherboard? Trying to get more bang for my buck :P

The AMD Phenom II X6 1075T is $160.

The AMD FX-6300 and the Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 totals out at $189.00

For $20 more you will see a massive leap in performance.

Its an FX Series cpu so it is unlocked and OCs very nice. The cpu is also running the new vishera architecture, and has a larger cache.

The Asus board has plenty of room to expand if you need it to.

Link ot list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mo27

Edited by Leonov

The AMD Phenom II X6 1075T is $160.

The AMD FX-6300 and the Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 totals out at $189.00

For $20 more you will see a massive leap in performance.

Its an FX Series cpu so it is unlocked and OCs very nice. The cpu is also running the new vishera architecture, and has a larger cache.

The Asus board has plenty of room to expand if you need it to.

Link ot list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mo27

alright, looks like my new setup will be

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard

Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GTX 660ti

Ram: 16gb

I suppose with this, my next step will be getting a solid state drive :P But I won't worry about that till maybe next year or so. Or if my hard drive says nope and dies xD

I don't need a mouse or a keyboard. Thank you for helping me! I just going to purchase it at american sites, then I ship it to the Netherlands, that's my plan.

Why would you do that? Importing will make this quite expensive. Why don't you come by the Tweakers.net forums and ask your question there, you will get a perfect advice for the Dutch market :)