KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

On 5/23/2019 at 12:16 PM, Kerbalgaming said:

OMEN Obelisk Desktop PC - 875-0020RZ

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 | Ram: 16GB DDR4-2666 | Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB HDD

Upon closer inspection I have to say you mixed things up. The 20RZ is the "cheap" entry level PC for 750$ while you listed the specs for the high end model (35qe) that sells for 1800$: https://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/desktops/omen-875?jumpid=cp_r12135_us/en/psg/gaming_omen_obelisk/sticky-nav/shop-now#!&tab=vao

16 hours ago, Kerbalgaming said:

Thank you for taking the time to help me out I'm super new to PC gaming. Is there a good PC that you would recommend for under 1,000 dollars? 

Personally I'm not looking for prebuilt machines because they will always either cheap out on the less flashy parts or demand a hefty bonus for assembly. Of the Omen models linked above both options below 1000$ have outdated CPUs and GPUs. The Intel version has the stronger CPU, which is good for KSP, and the weaker GPU, which is bad for most other games. The Ryzen model has it the other way around.

What parts you might or should expect in a modern PC for a given price can be found on this handy table (just ignore the RAM column, you'll always want a kit of two modules): https://www.logicalincrements.com/

Now, I am currently thinking about upgrading my crappy iMac that is really old to something better. I have about a $1000 budget and I am planning to use AMD processors. What would you recommend? And also, do I need a graphics card? How much Ram is a good amount to run mods like EVE or Scatterer? 

26 minutes ago, K3rb0dyn3 said:

I am planning to use a Ryzen 5 2600 and a NVIDA 2060 for it. Also some 16 gb 3200mhz RAM. I think its overkill but I just want to make sure.

The new Ryzen 3000 series was just announced to be released in July, so you might want to wait two months to see how much better the new 3600 is compared to the 2600.  The RTX 2060 is weird because it only has 6GB of RAM. That's hardly enough for 4k gaming while the GTX 1660ti is much cheaper for FHD gaming.

7 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

There's apparently some minor stuttering on 2k and Battlefield V with DX12 and raytracing is already to much for 6GB.

ok thanks, so this is my plan, 

get the new ryzen CPU

16 GB of DDR4 Ram 3200mhz

B450 Tomahawk motherboard

Coolermaster Lite 5 case

EVGA Super nova 650 G3 power supply

Some SSD Storage

So what would you recommend for a graphics card that fits that setup?

16 hours ago, K3rb0dyn3 said:

B450 Tomahawk motherboard

Good choice but you have to be careful. The B450 boards will most likely need a preinstalled bios update for the new Ryzen CPUs.

Another alternative to the 2060 is the AMD Vega 56/64. Both have 8GB. That might reduce the stuttering with higher resolution textures but at the same time they are incredibly less efficient and the 64 will even make that 650W PSU sweat. As a cheapskate I would still prefer the 1660ti, which is about 10-20% slower than the 2060, but if you have the money the best bet for 2k is the 2070.

And of course not "some SSD" but a Crucial MX500 or Samsung 860 Evo. :P

Edited by Harry Rhodan

Is anyone else eyeing up Ryzen 3xxxx for an upgrade? I'm considering it for my 4770K - i don't really need to upgrade based on the small amount of brand new games that I play, but I am sure a 3700x or 3900x would last me another 5 years like my 4770K has. If anything I am more interested in the ability to have NVME M.2 storage and DDR4 that outright CPU speed increases.

Definetly, what we have seen so far looks very promising. Obviosly we still have to wait for benchmarks, but its possible AMD finaly reached (or even surpassed) Intels high per-core performance, which is especialy important for KSP. Combined with better multicore performance and lower power consumption (at least under load) this would make them the perfect option for any gaming PC.

I am trying to purchase a copy of the program for my son, but I'm worried about the space taken for it on his computer. His computer is required for school, and we can't have it full of nothing but KSP. Is it possible to have the program on a separate storage device that can be accessed by the schoolwork computer? His computer is a HP x360 using a pentium N5000, 1.1gHz 4 core processor, and has 128 GB SSD.

Do we need to store the KSP on a separate computer, or can it be used on a separate drive as suggested?

Hope you can help with this as I'd really like to see the young fella getting a good handle on orbital mechanics. (I'm also looking forward to sneaking some KSP time in too)

Edited by Andrew F
Honesty?

Welcome to the forum @Andrew F.

I have moved your post to a thread devoted to giving great advice on computer specifications for KSP because I feel that your son's laptop may not run KSP with very high performance.

Running KSP from an external drive might also add a performance hit.

47 minutes ago, Andrew F said:

HP x360 using a pentium N5000, 1.1gHz 4 core processor

You can certainly put the install folder on a pen drive and launch it from there but I fear this machine is more or less a fancy typewriter that will most likely break down crying when trying to run the game. Not only is the CPU only about as strong as a ten year old desktop unit but the machine is also only passively cooled which means that after a few minutes it will run hot and drop the performance even further.

On 6/2/2019 at 11:10 AM, Stewcumber said:

Is anyone else eyeing up Ryzen 3xxxx for an upgrade? I'm considering it for my 4770K - i don't really need to upgrade based on the small amount of brand new games that I play, but I am sure a 3700x or 3900x would last me another 5 years like my 4770K has. If anything I am more interested in the ability to have NVME M.2 storage and DDR4 that outright CPU speed increases.

Yep, Im looking at the 3900x. If you can trust AMD it should perform like the 9900k in single threaded workloads like games, which can only use maybe 6 cores at best.If you go for the 3900x, I wouln't really recommend the 3900x if you don't need all the cores. You can go for the 3800x save yourself $100 and only loose 100Mhz boost clock (overlocking can fix that). If you go for the 3900x I would recommend high speed memory 3200+ because it is possible that the 12 cores are bottlenecked by RAM speed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 9900k would still have the better single core performance. The real question to me would rather be when do they release boards with the B550 chipset, because all those X570 boards are ridiculously expensive.

5 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

wouldn't be surprised if the 9900k would still have the better single core performance. The real question to me would rather be when do they release boards with the B550 chipset, because all those X570 boards are ridiculously expensive.

Ryzen 3000 are still compatible with B450, X470 and some X370 and B350. You just loose the benefits of running a 3rd gen Ryzen with the optimal chipset, like PCI-E 4.0 and the extra PCI-E lanes and USB ports.

Note: Gigabyte says their X470 mobos can handle PCIE 4.0 if you have a Ryzen 3rd gen.

Plus: I also wouldn't trust every last generation board with handling a high performance 3rd gen, when It comes to CPU VRMs.

PIKk5hT.jpg

Edited by xXKSP_playerXx

29 minutes ago, xXKSP_playerXx said:

Ryzen 3000 are still compatible with B450, X470 and some X370 and B350.

It's the principle of the thing!

32 minutes ago, xXKSP_playerXx said:

Note: Gigabyte says their X470 mobos can handle PCIE 4.0 if you have a Ryzen 3rd gen.

AMD said none of the old boards will or should receive PCIE 4.0 support.

30 minutes ago, xXKSP_playerXx said:

Plus: I also wouldn't trust every last generation board with handling a high performance 3rd gen, when It comes to CPU VRMs.

Especially since I'm looking for a μATX board and they all only have VRM designs with 4 phases at best.

3 hours ago, xXKSP_playerXx said:

What Ryzen are you looking at? High end B450 µATX should still be good for the 3800X

It's all hypothetical but I would actually be looking at the 3700x (why the x? what where they thinking?) which will be perfectly fine with a 4 phase setup.

But principles!

On 6/6/2019 at 2:13 AM, xXKSP_playerXx said:

I think they were masking Intel's K. And also X370 was masking Z270. AMD was also trying to mask Nvidia's naming with the RX 3080, but Nvidia stopped them.

Yes and no, because the K series is overclockable while every current AMD CPU already is overclockable. It is also somewhat questionable how much more you can get from a 65W CPU. They should have just named the 3700X 3700 and the 3800X 3700X like they did in the 2000 series.

Good morning all.

I'm trying to downsize from my desktop to just my laptop. The only games I play are KSP and (rarely) Civ VI, so I don't need cutting edge graphics. 

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon with an Intel i5. It's perfect for when I travel. I tried KSP on it and it's ok on the laptop screen but on my big monitor it crawls. Integrated graphics obviously.

I don't play KSP on trips so I just need something for home. I've been looking at getting an external GPU. Either the Lenovo Graphics Dock (Pros: tiny and quiet. Con: Not upgradeable.) or the Razer Core X Chroma (Pros: upgradeable GPU. Cons: Larger, more costly, and apparently not super-quiet).

Anyone have experience with eGPUs and KSP? Obviously the graphics performance will be orders of magnitude better, but will the laptop CPU become a big bottleneck?

G0A10170-pdp-main.jpg?context=bWFzdGVyfC6ecdf854-826a-4917-beb0-7eeadb8a38df._CR

Edited by Starlionblue