KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

It wont in most games (in KSP any CPU would bottleneck almost every GPU), but you realy dont need to OC an 3600. AMDs CPUs are allready running at their optimum speed from factory, most OC wont realy make them faster. Its quite easy to make them slower by tinkering, though.

6 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

Do you guys think the Radeon R5 3600 (overclocked to 4.2 ghz) would bottleneck a RTX 3070? 

Depends on the games, we don't know KSP 2's specs yet so we can't say. Also, you don't need to overclock a 3600 to 4.2 GHz when it already boosts there stock. 

6 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

Well, if KSP 2 does support multi-core, it'll make a big difference. You can split up tasks among the different cores to get things done faster, that's why they do that instead of just having one monstrous core.

KSP 1 supports multicore, but on a per vessel basis. Each vessel gets a new thread. As for splitting up the same vessel on multiple cores, as I understand it, with how rigid body dynamics are calculated that would actually be slower than single core. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, I got a alienware 15r. I am looking to get the alienware New aura. (The laptop has a graphics amplifer with a nvidia geforce 1060 inside, THe desktop is baseline, no modifications.) Will it be good enough to run Fallout 4 at 60 fps?

I need some help with choosing a motherboard. I've decided on CPU and GPU- Ryzen 5 5600x/RTX 3070- but I'm having trouble picking out a motherboard. I can't tell the difference between all the different model numbers and chipsets. My total build budget is about $1200-1400, can anyone recommend something?

The biggest difference is the chipset, the B550 would be ideal since it doesnt limit you to PCIe3 as the A520 while the X570 doesnt realy offer any advantages other than more ports than you will ever need while being more expensive and powerhungry. If you dont have special requirements for overclocking, soundchip or special connectivity as Wifi you can simply go for the cheapest B550 in your prefered format. It may be wise to watch for an Type-C USB port for futureproofing...

I would also strongly consider an RX5800 instead of the RTX 3070, since its not neutered by 8GB VRAM. Of course you should wait for tests of all the components, but i doubt you will get any of the GPUs/CPUs any time soon (for a reasonable price), so just wait.

Sweet, a PC building thread!

@Kernel Kraken Like Elthy said above, B550 would probably be your best option for a motherboard, as it has most of the useful things that X570 has and costs less.
If you are willing to give up Nvidia-exclusive features and pay an extra $80, I would also recommend getting an RX 6800. Double the memory and slightly better performance are worth it, alongside (hopefully) better availability. And yes, you should wait until prices settle and stuff is actually in stock.

On 11/1/2020 at 5:13 PM, Kernel Kraken said:

I need some help with choosing a motherboard. I've decided on CPU and GPU- Ryzen 5 5600x/RTX 3070- but I'm having trouble picking out a motherboard. I can't tell the difference between all the different model numbers and chipsets. My total build budget is about $1200-1400, can anyone recommend something?

I'm torn between the MSI B550 Tomahawk and the Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro. The Aorus Pro theoretically has the better VRM setup while the Tomahawk has an internal USB-C connector for the case.

3 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

I'm torn between the MSI B550 Tomahawk and the Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro. The Aorus Pro theoretically has the better VRM setup while the Tomahawk has an internal USB-C connector for the case.

You can add USB expansion with PCIe cards.  You can't add better VRMs.

The question is if you realy need better VRMs. CPU overclocking is dead for ordinary users and every CPU will run fine with stock settings on any mainboard. All B550 MBs can handle even a 3950X, everything below that will be even easier.

14 hours ago, Geonovast said:

You can add USB expansion with PCIe cards.  You can't add better VRMs.

You can add 99% of the semi-useless cruft that comes on most motherboards these days with expansion cards, and doing that you get to pick exactly what you add.

I've been looking at upgrade options myself of late, and TBH I'm getting pretty irritated at the lack of low-cruft high-slot-count decent quality options available. I have zero use for onboard sound, onboard video, onboard wifi, multiple NVME slots, RGB lighting, or any of the other crap vendors like to use to differentiate their products.

What I do have a use for is a full ATX board with plenty of PCI-E slots, plenty of SATA ports, support for more than 4 DIMMs, and ideally a legacy PCI slot as well. Apparently this doesn't exist outside the server market these days, despite my current (P9X79) desktop board checking all those boxes.

9 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

It's the principle of the thing!

IME it's often also a reliability thing (though personally I wouldn't touch MSI or Gigabyte with a very long stick on that count), better (read: more expensive) VRM designs tend to use better parts with more current/thermal headroom and come with better heatsinking.
I've seen enough VRM failures over the years, overclocked or not, to make those power-delivery parts a factor for me in much the same way a PSU is.

Edited by steve_v

• 4 weeks later...

Because it's Cyber Monday, I'm looking at upgrading from my laptop to a desktop.  What I want to know is if the following configuration is acceptable for a decent gaming rig.  I generally game on my XBox One S, and haven't used a computer for gaming for many years...until I found KSP and started playing that.  So, any help here would be most appreciated.

• Omen 30L Desktop GT13-0280z
    • Windows 10 Home plus
    • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 w/RGB air cooling (3.6 GHz up to 4.2 GHz, 32 MB L3 cache, 6 cores)
    • HyperX® 16 GB DDR4-3200 XMP RGB SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
    • WD Black 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD
    • 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super (8 GB GDDR6 dedicated)
    • Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX 201 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5 combo (Supporting Gigabit file transfer speeds,)

I'd be getting a 27 inch curved monitor, and then the standard wired keyboard and mouse.  I have a wireless mouse I'll be transferring over to that, so I'm not worried about upgrading that.

Thoughts?  Comments?  Ham sammiches?

Edited by Popestar

6 minutes ago, Popestar said:

Because it's Cyber Monday, I'm looking at upgrading from my laptop to a desktop.  What I want to know is if the following configuration is acceptable for a decent gaming rig.  I generally game on my XBox One S, and haven't used a computer for gaming for many years...until I found KSP and started playing that.  So, any help here would be most appreciated.

• Omen 30L Desktop GT13-0280z
    • Windows 10 Home plus
    • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 w/RGB air cooling (3.6 GHz up to 4.2 GHz, 32 MB L3 cache, 6 cores)
    • HyperX® 16 GB DDR4-3200 XMP RGB SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
    • WD Black 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD
    • 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super (8 GB GDDR6 dedicated)
    • Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX 201 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5 combo (Supporting Gigabit file transfer speeds,)

I'd be getting a 27 inch curved monitor, and then the standard wired keyboard and mouse.  I have a wireless mouse I'll be transferring over to that, so I'm not worried about upgrading that.

Thoughts?  Comments?  Ham sammiches?

Seems good. May want to get a better cpu and what res is the monitor? (Building your own computer is a great option too.)

7 minutes ago, Arco123 said:

Seems good. May want to get a better cpu and what res is the monitor? (Building your own computer is a great option too.)

I could upgrade to the AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X W/RGB Air Cooling (3.6 GHz up to 4.4 GHz, 32 MB L3 cache, 8 cores) for an additional $150, which isn't all that bad.  I'm not overly concerned with cost, but I'd like to not go too much higher.  Do I need to get the better processor here?  Will it be worth it in the long run considering how quickly technology gets outdated?

The monitor has a native resolution of FHD (1920 x 1080 @ 120 Hz) with a contrast ratio of 000:1 static; 10000000:1 dynamic.

Edited by Popestar

2 minutes ago, Arco123 said:

If you can wait I would because new gpu and cpus are coming out and they may be so much better. If you have to right now then that seems fine imo. (Maybe better gpu for future proofing.)

Yeah, I've been hemming and hawing for several months now about upgrading and just haven't pulled the trigger.  My birthday is in March, so waiting a couple months might not be a bad idea.  Then again, I'm concerned about my laptop giving out; I've seen the "Current disk has no image to load from" error once already, and that's a sure sign that this thing might be on its last legs.  6 years on a laptop is great, but it may be time.

And Cyber Monday only happens once a year.  :)

Im not sure about this one, prebuilds are usualy of realy bad value. Building your own PC is realy easy...

But now is a realy bad time to buy a PC. The Ryzen 3000 and Geforce 2000 Series are allready outdated, but their succesors are almost impossible to source for a reasonable price. The CPU is especialy important for KSP and here the new Ryzen 5000 series wipes the floor with anything previous. So just wait until next year,  then most stuff should be available at reasonable prices.

19 minutes ago, Arco123 said:

I would also look at building your own computer. But pull the trigger on that one if you cant find one with a better cpu. :wink:

12 minutes ago, Elthy said:

Im not sure about this one, prebuilds are usualy of realy bad value. Building your own PC is realy easy...

Yeah, I tried to build my own PC years ago, and that ended badly.  And that was after I took some hardware classes to supplement my programming degree.  I have no problem putting configurations together online.  It's the act of physically building them that I cannot do.  I'm not a hardware person.

13 minutes ago, Elthy said:

But now is a realy bad time to buy a PC. The Ryzen 3000 and Geforce 2000 Series are allready outdated, but their succesors are almost impossible to source for a reasonable price. The CPU is especialy important for KSP and here the new Ryzen 5000 series wipes the floor with anything previous. So just wait until next year,  then most stuff should be available at reasonable prices.

Yeah, I just looked today because Cyber Monday and all.  After thinking about it, unless my laptop actually dies, I think I'll wait until we get closer to my birthday.

Hello guys,nice to meet you all.Actually the main reason of my post is about the performance of Kerbal space program on my laptop.Specs-i3 7100u,4gb ram(which is sadly soldered) and HD 620 graphics from Intel.I have been wanting to buy this game but everytime I am worried about perfromance as my laptop is pretty old and garbage by standards.Plz if anyone could share my their performance in systems with similar specs and ways to improve performance