KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

The difference may have been larger in different version. It seems Intel has decided to take off the intergrated graphics and call it a server processor.

While not having integrated graphics could be a problem, thats up to the end user. Changing boards/setups to get something that is slightly better in some tangible fashion is not worth it IMHO. Lets keep this civil.

Edited by Leonov

Hey uuhm,

I have this great computer with an I5 dual core thingy, and it works great, but it has to work with an Nvidia Gforce G230, which has decided to change it's name to 320 or something..... Basicly it's like making Jeb and Bob create something usefull... Thats why my KSP is running at 1024x7something.... Soooooo.... I should probably upgrade my graphic's card... Problem is I have absolutely no idea what will fit because my motherboard only has one of those bigger slots, just one! Any ideas? I wanna see solid fuel burn in HD :D

The engine KSP uses, Unity 4, does not offload anything onto the GPU. That being said it is Single Core Multi Thread, That being the upgrade that would do the best of KSP would probably be a CPU upgrade. A new GPU would only make games that utilise GPU offloading work/look better.

Hey uuhm,

I have this great computer with an I5 dual core thingy, and it works great, but it has to work with an Nvidia Gforce G230, which has decided to change it's name to 320 or something..... Basicly it's like making Jeb and Bob create something usefull... Thats why my KSP is running at 1024x7something.... Soooooo.... I should probably upgrade my graphic's card... Problem is I have absolutely no idea what will fit because my motherboard only has one of those bigger slots, just one! Any ideas? I wanna see solid fuel burn in HD :D

Which slot is it? (HINT: Look under "Peripheral Cards"

rJEV0YY.jpg

But he can GET the top model for the price of the next one down! :|

No, he can not. There is almost a 200 dollar price gap.

In regards to haswell, i dont think its worth leaving socket 2011 and the 3770K. The 4770K isnt looking like much of an improvement in the gaming department. Most of the people that have recieved Engineering samples have noted that it is getting Hot, Some have even reported cratering under the stresses of overclocking. To each their own, if you have to have intel stay with socket 1155 or socket 2011 3570K and 3770K respectivly.

Now if you want to change to AMD i can point out some stoof, Let me know.

I think you are confusing some things, the 3770(K) is on 1155. Socket 2011 is for chips like the i3820, 3930K and the 3970X, but is only useful to people that are heavy (and multithreaded) users, like folks that render every day.

Also, AMD is a pretty decent solution for a lot of things, but if you want to build a gaming oriented rig mostly the cheaper APU's are interesting. When you have a bit more money to spend the Intels get more and more interesting. It is not about the brand, it is about the right hardware for the right job.

Xenons are for servers, not for Gaming. Trying to use them for gaming is like suggesting using a poptart to do open-heart surgery. It doesn't work like that.

Xenons will game just fine. They are marketed as server chips, but are hardly any different from the i5's and i7's. Slightly different speeds and no GPU. Just clever binning, that is all, but it will work and it will work well.

Edited by Camacha

The engine KSP uses, Unity 4, does not offload anything onto the GPU. That being said it is Single Core Multi Thread, That being the upgrade that would do the best of KSP would probably be a CPU upgrade. A new GPU would only make games that utilise GPU offloading work/look better.

You can not say that without knowing a little bit more. There is a fair chance that card is bottle necking his i5, but ideally we would get some measurements to be sure. Just flat out stating his CPU is too slow is jumping the gun just a bit. Kerbal Space Program is not GPU intensive, that much is true, but that does not mean any problem is automatically CPU related. He has a (pretty decent) i5, so it might as wel actually be the GPU that is the problem.

In Dutch there is a saying measuring is knowing :) Let's not get people buying hardware that they might not even need. The best thing is to play KSP and check out CPU and GPU loads. Then it should be very clear what the exact problem is.

Motherboard: GA-P35-DS3L

CPU: Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

RAM: 4GB 800 MHz DDR2

Graphics: G84 [GeForce 8600 GT] 256MB, 700MHz

HDD: 500GB 7200RPM

250GB 5400RPM

Actually, the Q6600 was a pretty decent CPU and in a way still is. What do you want your system to do that it is not capable of doing now? By knowing that some targeted problem solving can be applied :) Sure, there are CPU's that are a lot faster nowadays, but if you are on a budget a Q6600 can still be of some pretty decent use.

-snip-

Without proper specs, of course all we are doing is guessing. :D

But most likely based upon the limited info given, it may be CPU. Specifics are nesiccary for a good diagnosis.

Ive had that model of Core2 Quad, They are very good chips.

Indeed, until i get the SSD for my next rig im using my compy with a Core2 Quad, Very Respectable.

In other News AMD announced they are going to be making two more high end CPUs for the AM3+ socket. Read more here.

They will be the FX-8770 and the FX-9000. The FX-9000 is at 4.8Ghz stock clock with a 5.0Ghz Turbo clock. Personally im glad they are not using a new socket for this upgrade.

I've totally changed plan since last time because of the new gtx 700 serie. So I bought a GTx 770. I just encountered this power supply deal, is it a good one for me? (I7 2600, 8gb ram, 1 dvd read/write) :

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8160005&SRCCODE=LSCAN&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=mOD7hhi6MCA-wJ1mM52Ca.A_NI7R9NYX6g

I've totally changed plan since last time because of the new gtx 700 serie. So I bought a GTx 770. I just encountered this power supply deal, is it a good one for me? (I7 2600, 8gb ram, 1 dvd read/write) :

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8160005&SRCCODE=LSCAN&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=mOD7hhi6MCA-wJ1mM52Ca.A_NI7R9NYX6g

Which model of 770?, The Superclocked one needs a specific ammount of Amps from the main rail and its wattage. If i recall correctly ~43amps from the main 12V rail on the PSU will make the 770SC happy. That PSU should work putting off 48amps on the main 12V rail.

It seems comparable to the EVGA SuperClocked 770 that needs high amps form the PSU.

So I would say go with that PSU, It appears to be able to keep that card happy based upon the amperage needed.

Edited by Leonov

So, I'm in need of a new cooling solution. My computer idles around 50c, and I honestly need a new case. My current one is pretty limited. I need to find a good mid-tower with plenty of airflow even in tight places.

Well, cases with proper airflow are not that hard to come by. When they also need to be quiet it becomes a lot harder to find anything satisfactory.

I'm planning to get a Geforce GTX 550 Ti by next year, my first graphics card (short on cash, need to wait, the prices are way high here).

I have a Core 2 Duo E7500 (2.9GHz clock speed) which should be pretty slow for today's games, I wanted to get a new one, more powerful but I found out my motherboard is Intel and Socket 775. I think my best replace worth the money would be a Core 2 Quad, don't want to spend even more money on a different motherboard.

I thought up about getting a 500w PSU to replace the standard model for the graphics card.

Should the planned PSU be enough after adding the graphics card, and the processor (including some other stuff like screen, hard drive, etc)?

Also, should the build without the change of processor run most games today on medium-high on 1366x768?

The point for putting money in a 775 cpu has passed in my opinion (unless you get a used one cheap, q9400 go for 50€on ebay here). Also DDR2 ram is overpriced compared to DDR3 so that's a factor if your board doesnt support it.

Brazil has ridiculous import taxes on electronics, so stuff tends to be extremely expensive despite the low purchase power.

Leonov and jfx, thanks for the replies, I have decided that if I am to get a new processor without changing motherboard I will get a Core 2 Quad.

Seems like buying hardware from a american/english site isn't worth it for me, so I will just buy it locally.

I have found the graphics card and the PSU in a Brazilian site for a affordable price for me, I will buy it from there.

I may overclock my processor the most I can without damage or any side effect that can't be controlled.

May buy a new processor too with time.

This isn't an immediate plan, but something I am thinking about before years end.

Right now, I have an h8-1011 computer from HP.

Motherboard: H-RS880-uATX (Aloe)

CPU: AMD PhenomII X6 1065t (6 core @ 2.9 GHz)

GPU: ATI HD 6770 1GB GDDR 5

RAM: 12GB DDR3 (3 x 4GB)

HDD1: Western Digital 2TB (WDC WD20EARS-60MVWB0 SCSI)

HDD2: Seagate 2TB (Seagate ST32000542AS SCSI)

My problem is the graphics card. It does a pretty alright job, and it always has, but I'd sort of like something that does more than a pretty alright job. I also don't have the fund to rebuild the computer from the ground up like I should have done with this one, so I am looking at a mid life upgrade. I'm pretty sure that even by winter the 79XX will not be in my price range, so right now I am thinking of an HD 7870, which currently depending on which one, I could get for as low as $230 after rebate. Since I am aiming for more like November/December (I am thinking christmas present actually) I could probably get one for a nice low price, or something a bit better.

My understanding is that even though the 7xxx series use PCIe 3.0, they don't really care if they use something older, since I have no plans on upgrading my motherboard (not that a PCI 3.0 uATX card that supports an AMD processor is a thing that exists).

Second, while I expect I will ultimately get something that can measure this properly, I have to assume that my computer is already pretty close to blowing the 460w PSU, seeing as it was off the shelf and I stuck another hard drive in it. Unfortunately, my favourite power calculator will not work for me, and the ASUS one is suggesting I need 500 to 550 watts, which I obviously don't (I might if I tried to charge 6 cell phones with my computer while playing GTA IV). On that note, I know pretty much diddly squat about power supplies, but given the power jump from a 6770 to a 7870 I'm gussing I want to go to at least 600w, perhaps higher if I am counting on reusing it in a future computer (in that case I might aim for 750). Now, right now there is this 700 watt on for just under a hundred, plus a rebate, but I know absoutely nothing about which ones are prone to conking out or frying things (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4362115&Sku=O261-2018).

So any advice there would be appreciated.

Also, am I just being stupid with upgrading the computer now? I am hoping that I could get another couple years out of it with the new GPU and PSU, maybe 3, and by then be in a position to bargain hunt myself a new one. The 7870 looks to be a pretty substantial upgrade over the 6770,so my hope is that it will provide nice service for a while.

This isn't an immediate plan, but something I am thinking about before years end.

Right now, I have an h8-1011 computer from HP.

Motherboard: H-RS880-uATX (Aloe)

CPU: AMD PhenomII X6 1065t (6 core @ 2.9 GHz)

GPU: ATI HD 6770 1GB GDDR 5

RAM: 12GB DDR3 (3 x 4GB)

HDD1: Western Digital 2TB (WDC WD20EARS-60MVWB0 SCSI)

HDD2: Seagate 2TB (Seagate ST32000542AS SCSI)

-snip-

I wouldnt recomend investing in a AM3 chip. You can buy an FX-6300 for the price of that phenom 1065t. The FX-6300 is an AM3+ socket which looks to have a longer lifespan than the AM3 and the CPU itself is a leap foreward.

Here is a list i made based upon your build with some tweaks. Corsair makes great Power Supplys so I recomend them.

I put a GTX 660 SC on there becasue it seems to be in your range but, the GTX 660 is comparable to the 7870 in performance and price.

Changed the Board and CPU, It stayed at a MicroATX and should be within budget.

This list i put together based upon your list, everything stayed accept for the board and processor.

I changed the CPU to the AMD A10 6800K APU which has very good Price/Performance, Its a little cheaper than this build here.

You build is fine, but that CPU isnt worth the investment imho.

Edited by Leonov