KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

-snip-

On the contrary, users i have talked to that are using trinity/richland are doing very well in KSP.

The computer in question is an intel machine, its specs can be found here for those who missed it.

It may be a typo on the listers side, the american version fo that has a Nividia GT 640 for its GPU. Call the retailer and ask a couple questions.

Of course having a Faster/Better/Powerful CPU will make KSP run/load faster, I havent seen any testing with higher clocked ram so maybe that will lead to some interesting results aswell.

Edited by Leonov

Calling it an APU makes it no less an integrated graphic solution.

Unless I see some benchmarks showing the contrary I stick with the general consensus which holds true since c2d and especially since AMD introduced their BD architecture:

If you play games or rely on single threaded applications: Buy Intel.

Anyhow when I benchmarked KSP loading times in .18 I noticed that more CPU performance helps a lot (likely some horrible conversion taking place wen the persistent parts are converted into some other data structure for storage in the RAM). A 30% CPU(i5-2500k) overclock made a bigger difference than moving the Install to a ssd (crucial m4 128gb).

Of course those results died together with this forum.

I didn't do anything serious but last time I looked at my CPU usage when KSP was loading, it was averaging something like 10% CPU. I'm not sure why the CPU would make such a difference, it's not even hitting 25% for me.

Memory usage really spikes as the load is happening (haven't checked how busy the SSDs are while this is going on), memory ends up at about 1.8 GB upon hitting the start menu, and settles close to 2 to 2.5 GB loading some modest craft.

So what's left?

-Disk read access (haven't checked how that performs yet)

-Texture transfer to video memory?

-Inefficient loading process? I haven't thought about this too much so I could be wrong, but I guess it'd be possible to do this in such a way that it's not maxing out any one resource (one always waiting for the other to finish, but task switching quickly & inefficiently).

Edited by Garoad

Oh, btw Leonov, I called they guys at 'webhallen' (Where I'm buying the computer from) And asked about the graphics card, and they said it was so new that it haven't been out on the internet yet :S

So I have saved up some money for a computer and I am willing to spend about 700$ not including windows 7 so in total about 800$ and I want to build one and this will be my first time. I have been looking into a lot of bundles and this looked like a pretty nice bundle at newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1307705

I have looked in to individual parts as well and it is pretty overwhelming and I was wondering if bundles really are a good deal or just a scam and if they are worth it is this a good one.

Thanks for your time.:P

P.S.

ooh or this one???

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1307675&Tpk=1307675

Edited by Aeronautics101

-snip-

The builds are both good.

The AMD build comes with a better GPU, The GTX 660 is a good GPU but the GTX 660 Ti is a little better.

Its really up to you and your preferences of Intel/AMD.

My build for 6-7 months time. Keep in mind things may and will change over the course of those months:

4th gen i7 3.4ghz 4770

Asus Sabertooth Z87 S1150 motherboard

Patriot Viper 16gb RAM kit (2x8GB)

2x Seagate 3.5" Barracuda 2TB HDD SATA 3

AMD Radeon 7970 3GB GFX card

Coolermaster HAFX case with window

Coolermaster GX PSU 650w

ASUS 27" 1920x1080 LED backlit LCD monitor

This is what I have so far, and it will cost 2049 Australian dollars including parts assembly from my local parts supplier (I trust brick and mortar more than delivery, that way I can be sure I handle it). As I said parts/prices will change a bit, because I will be buying this stuff together at once for my 21st in January. I will also need a wireless network card which I can put on there before I buy.

Would one of the new Richland APUs that AMD put out recently be any good for ksp more info and a video at http://promotions.newegg.com/AMD/13-2196/index.html

The user Lobsterbark built a rig using the A10-5800K. The A10-6800K is a very nice tweak of an already good APU.

He comes on the TeamSpeak server and seems to have all around good performance, most games on high settings.

Plays KSP very well with a generous ammount of parts.

Edited by Leonov

The user Lobsterbark built a rig using the A10-5800K. The A10-6800K is a very nice tweak of an already good APU.

He comes on the TeamSpeak server and seems to have all around good performance, most games on high settings.

Plays KSP very well with a generous ammount of parts.

Thank you for your opinion

I'm just wondering about something for my build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£257.99 @ Aria PC)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£63.22 @ Ebuyer)

Motherboard: Asus Z87-K ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£98.97 @ Amazon UK)

Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£99.04 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Corsair Force Series GS 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£95.00 @ Ebuyer)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£219.00 @ Ebuyer)

Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£47.98 @ Dabs)

Power Supply: Fractal Design Integra R2 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£48.50 @ CCL Computers)

Total: £929.70

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-27 19:46 BST+0100)

Notice that I will use another PSU from bequiet!. 530W 80 bronze one.

I'm wondering what better ram I could get if I increase that budget to £150? I want maximum bang for your buck (I guess speed then). :)

Also, looking at alot of data from the 3DMark databases I've come across that the i7 4770K + GTX760 consistently scores higher game physics score in 3DMark compared to similar setups but with i7 4770k + GTX770!! How can this be? I've been comparing equal rigs in the 3DMark database. Is the 760 "cooperating" better with the processor, and therefore handles the physics better?

Thx for your input!

If you increase your Ram budget to 150 you can get some Monstrous Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 Ram. High Quality, Very Fast, Very Overclockable.

The GTX 760 just came out so i wouldnt believe all the benchmarks.

If i were getting a GPU i would get a GTX 770 from EVGA w/ACX cooler. But either of those cards require a 600w PSU and a specific ammount of Amps form the 12v rail on the PSU.

Never skimp on a PSU.

For CPU cooler im going with a Phantec PH-TC14PE. The Phantek is a little better than the Noctua. Bigger fans, a coating on the cooling fins dissapates heat a little better, spacing of cooling fins that radiates the heat better.

My Build.

Edited by Leonov

If you increase your Ram budget to 150 you can get some Monstrous Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 Ram. High Quality, Very Fast, Very Overclockable.

The GTX 760 just came out so i wouldnt believe all the benchmarks.

If i were getting a GPU i would get a GTX 770 from EVGA w/ACX cooler. But either of those cards require a 600w PSU and a specific ammount of Amps form the 12v rail on the PSU.

Never skimp on a PSU.

For CPU cooler im going with a Phantec PH-TC14PE. The Phantek is a little better than the Noctua. Bigger fans, a coating on the cooling fins dissapates heat a little better, spacing of cooling fins that radiates the heat better.

My Build.

The GTX 770 from EVGA w/ACX is the one i really wanted in the first place, but it won't come to my stores for another 2-3 weeks :( I hope the MSI is at least one of the second runners up? :)

I also went with that 16gb 1866 Corsair kit.

Now I've ordered everything already, so I hope my PSU will do the job.. :S http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/bequiet-pure-power-l8-530w-cm-review/

Edited by cjakobp

That PSU doesnt put out enough AMPs on the 12v rail to keep a GTX 770 or GTX 760 happy. Sorry mate. That PSU only puts out 40amps. The 760 needs ~43amps and the 770 needs ~46amps.

Edited by Leonov

I run a 460 gtx on a BeQuiet straightpower e9-400w along with an overclocked i5-2500k. The builds on the hardware forum I frequently visit tend to look the same (with newer hardware obviously).

Also your Amp values are questionable - 43A at 12V would be over 500w - and these are the kind of numbers you get from PSU vendors who want to sell you oversized models. (The 760 has a TDP of 170w).

A quality 400w PSU is enough for a mainstream/performance gaming PC unless you go AMD or want something like a 780 / 7970 as GPU. BeQuiet is a solid choice - some of their earlier e5/e6 series had built quality problems but they fixed those since then.

tl;dr: Your PSU is fine - you may have trouble installing these RAM modules with the useless spoilers under your cpu cooler though. I always make sure to buy RAM without protruding "cooler" parts.

Edited by jfx

Game still runs on:

Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHZ

4GB 800MHZ DDR2 NON-ECC CL5

P5K/EPU S775 P35 ATX DDR2

Samsung 500GB SATAII

GeForce GTX 550-Ti, 2048MB

(or 560?? donno ...)

PC is in use since 08/2008 - bar the GTX 550 upgrade last winter - the newest hardware-monster-game being BF3 and some MMOs.

I think a new one would be nice, but I am just not in the mood to also pay for it. ;)

-snip-

Sorry, i had thought you bought a superclocked/Overclocked card. Im not too sure on how much that card uses under normal load.

Thos amps values only would have mattered if you had got a OC/SC card.

The Noctua will clear the ram modules, All you have to do is adjust the Fans when you clip them on the heat sink. I will have the same problem with my Phanteks.

But they make a clip on fin system so that you can move the fans for clearance. I have always been on the fence about Ram with Heat Spreaders, Theres a lot of Opinion out there with it. The general concensus is that your average end user will never notice a difference, But at higher speed (2066+) the coolers make the ram ~10% better at dissapating heat compared to bare modules.

My graphics card is a bit sub par, does anybody know if the

Gateway dx-4870 - ub318 can upgrade it 's graphics card?

If not upgrade, atleast add a good graphics card.

Sorry for no link but a google search will bring it up.

Edited by Rockhem

-snip-

If it is the same computer that is here.

And the one pictured here.

PCIeSlotGateway_zpsbe2cdd21.png

Yes you can put a better graphics card in it. It has a PCIe slot as shown in the picture.

I would recomend upgrading the PSU if you are going to get a Mid to High end GPU.

Yes you can put a better graphics card in it. It has a PCIe slot as shown in the picture.

I would recomend upgrading the PSU if you are going to get a Mid to High end GPU.

looking at the characteristic, little thing at the top right, it is. *does dance of joy* edit: try not using acronyms because i am totally new to the thing (i know cpu, gpu, RAM, the basics.) but i have no idea what the PSU is.

looking at the characteristic, little thing at the top right, it is. *does dance of joy* edit: try not using acronyms because i am totally new to the thing (i know cpu, gpu, RAM, the basics.) but i have no idea what the PSU is.

Okay, a PSU, is a Power Supply Unit. It supplys power to the System. PCIe stand for Peripheral Component Interconnect Express, It is a slot where Add on cards are added, most noticebly a GPU.

I will want atleast a mid-end-gpu, just to get me off very low settings. (any tips on what to look for and what price range would it be)

(the only game i can remember right now i have played with ultra graphics on is Flight simulator X (2006! lol)