KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

Well i know this was 2 months ago when i was asking about a graphics card but im getting ready to take the plunge and buy a graphics card plus PSU, will the graphics card fit in my PC?

here is a refresher of what it looks like, it is a DX-4870 UB-318.

PCIeSlotGateway_zpsbe2cdd21.png

Here is the intended power supply i want, i may be upgrading this in the future so i am buying for the future.

http://www.corsair.com/builder-series-cx600-v2-80plus-certified-power-supply.html

Edited by Rockhem

okay, if I could upgrade 1 thing to run KSP better, what should it be? Processor, RAM, cooling system, graphics card, etc.

Current system specs:

2.2GHz i7

NVidia GeForce GPU integrated graphics card (can't remember model)

4 GB RAM

Windows 7 premium

Can run at 190* and not burn up XD (does not run this hot for KSP, rendering will do this)

Just a theoretical question. I am sorta leaning towards RAM and/or a newer 3.5GHz i7.

-snip-

That PSU should keep the card happy, Make sure it fits though.

Corsair gives you a bunch of cables of decent length making routing difficult, you may want to invest in the modular version of that PSU.

-snip-

You are going to get a lot of answers that are subjective in nature with that kind of question.

If you want an honest opinion on what to upgrade you should get very familiar with your systems specs first. Info such as mobo, PSU, cpu socket, motherboard chipset, ect. Is it a prebuilt?, custom?, or Laptop?

Edited by Leonov

That PSU should keep the card happy, Make sure it fits though.

Corsair gives you a bunch of cables of decent length making routing difficult, you may want to invest in the modular version of that PSU.

You are going to get a lot of answers that are subjective in nature with that kind of question.

If you want an honest opinion on what to upgrade you should get very familiar with your systems specs first. Info such as mobo, PSU, cpu socket, motherboard chipset, ect. Is it a prebuilt?, custom?, or Laptop?

How would i know if it is going to fit, i have never seen the inside of my computer.

Hello Kerbalnaughts.

I hope I can enlist the help of our large community, with a computer problem I am having.

Detailed Specification:

Dell 3014 (Display Port)

Dell 2407 WFP (DVI)

Thermaltake Cooling Block

Intel 2500K (3.3GHz)

Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 (2.3 Firmware)

Corsair XMS3 PC1333 1.6V (4x4GB)

ATI Radeon Toxic 6950 2GB (Unlocked to 6970) x2

OCZ XZ 850W Modular PSU

OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (Sata3) x2

Samsung F3 1TB

Samsung F4 2TB

Samsung Blue-Ray Burner.

For the past few weeks, I have been running stock, with the excessive heat outside. :)

But the past 3 days my computer has been failing to Post (Power On Self Test)

Failing in typical Asrock standard, with 4 Beeps, an error code 55 (Memory Not Installed)?

Considering Code 55 (Memory Not Installed) is impossible, because there is four sticks of memory.

I have also arranged the memory, in the following configurations, to test if the memory is faulty:

All four sticks individually rotated (Slot A2. Recommended for Single Channel 1 Dimm operation.)

All POST'd fine, an completed 1 loop of Mem Test, an was Prime 95 Stable (Stock Frequencies).

= Suggesting the individual Ram modules are fine (Not faulty.)

All four sticks together.

Occasionally pass's POST. But fails within minutes of Mem Test, Prime 95.

= Mem modules may not be operating as intended in groups, or under stress.

Stick 1-2. In Slot A2+B2; Recommended for Dual Channel.

POST'd, but failed Mem Test or Prime 95.

Stick 1-2. In Slot A1+B1; NOT Recommended for Dual Channel.

Stick 3-4. In Slot A2+B2; Recommended for Dual Channel.

Stick 3-4. In Slot A2+B2; NOT Recommended for Dual Channel.

= Ultimately I feel that the memory is fine; Perhaps undervolt'd. With it been 1.6Volts, an most Sandy Bridge chips only like 1.5Volt memory.

Stick's individually work fine, but once parred (2 or 4 Dimm's) the system become's very unstable.

Has members any advice or idea's or experience, why my system is becoming unstable?

My memory has a Life time warranty, an I dont feel there at fault, while the Asrock motherboard is notorious for having this problem with both Sandy Bridge + Ivy Bridge chips, unfortunately the MB is now outside warranty, so I'd need proof its the culprit, to RMA with etailer.

An update too my testing.

Sal_Vager, made me aware of a document, regarding Mem Test, an how it creates error or Crash's, can help specify what parts are failing/faulty.

For reference:

Test 1-4: Memory Allocation. (Error or Crash's, are symptomatic of Faulty RAM Module's.)

Test 5-8: Memory Access. (Error or Crash's, are symptoms of fault Memory Controller. Or my i5 2500K Processor, where the controller is located.)

With my new found knowledge.

I redoubled my Mem Test Testing, an my brief results are as follows.

4 Dimm's. Stock volts (1.5V)

23 error's Test 3 (Writing, an the re-accessing saved information, was retrieved incorrectly.)

Crash Test 4.

= Obviously with the Memory, been undervolted, it wasn't able to access the information correctly.

4 Dimm's. XMP Profile Loaded. PC1333 Set. Forced 1.65 Volts.

Test 3 Completed successfully.

Crash Test 4.

= All evidence showing that 1 or more modules are faulty.

I am presently in the process of retesting all Dimm's individually again. Which I expect them to all pass like before.

This will again put me back at a cross road. Is it RAM or Motherboard thats faulty...

I am considering buying new RAM/Motherboard/CPU an testing them incorporation to my present specification, it might help identify faulty parts, as the system may stabilise.

I've been thinking about upgrading my setup (well, actually it's a full rebuild minus the HDD, PSU and some other small stuff). I'll be using it for 3D modeling, Photoshop, After Effects and all kinds of games, ranging from FPSs like BF3 through games such as KSP and Minecraft to ultra-hardcore-pc-killer-flightsims (FSX and X-Plane 10). How would an i7 4770k / GTX 780 / 8GB RAM setup handle this stuff? I feel the upgrade might be a bit useless as I'm currently rocking a GTX 580 and an i7 2600k, but this system doesn't quite have the punch to keep things running smoothly at ultra high settings - especially the flightsims are causing problems. The main reason I want to do this, however, is because I need a proper computer at my dad's house too. Due to knowing the right people, I can basically build 2 very powerful gaming computers out of one for just a bit over 900€.

This would leave me with 2 computers, one with GTX 580 / i7 2600k / 4GB RAM and one with GTX 780 / i7 4770k / 8GB RAM.

Am I about to do something really stupid or is this a good idea?

After further testing, an stripping the pc again.

I read an artical that suggested removing the heat sink, an checking the motherboard pins (LGA motherboard)

On inspection, I notice one slightly off (less than perfect), but the cpu, deffinity has the contact mark, so its making contact.

I'll try an upload pictures (on my phone); But what do I do now?

Work with it, or order another motherboard?

-snip-
If you can RMA your board and get a new/refurbished one, I would do that. It seems one thing after another, A bent pin doesnt exlpain the ram problems. But then agian, depends what that pin does.

RMA it and then see if everything works.

This would leave me with 2 computers, one with GTX 580 / i7 2600k / 4GB RAM and one with GTX 780 / i7 4770k / 8GB RAM.

Am I about to do something really stupid or is this a good idea?

Well, Your current rig is LGA1155. You can go all the way up to a 3770K, Which is still good and can handle those flight sims and the ivy bridge chips handle OCs better.

A 780 is monsterous card only slightly below the Titan.

Why so low on the ram?, Why not 16Gb, sure its overkill but all those programs you listed LOVE ram. you could just upgrade your current rig 3770K w/ Cooling System / GTX 780 / 16GB ram. Assuming your motherboard has 4 slots. But if you need a computer at both places, Your idea sounds good but I would put more ram into the builds. like 8 in the first and 16 in your "Monster" .

I have to say it, Fermi Furnace.

Im on the fence with Haswell. Its stupid fast for mobile applications, But overclocking haswell has gotten mixed reviews.

If your going to get one, leave it stock or have a really mild OC with a good cooling system.

Alright, here I go, don't glare at me but here's my plans for a budget gaming rig.

Mobo: ASRock 760GM-GS3 AM3 Micro ATX

Case: DIY-5823BK Black SECC ATX Mid Tower

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 640 3.0GHz w/fan

GPU: AMD Radeon 6670

RAM: Silicon Power 4GB DDR3 1333mhz PC3-10600

PSU: hec 585W ATX12V + Cord

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

WLAN Card: Baaqii WA009 USB WiFi

ROM: ASUS 24X DVD Burner

*I have all peripherals obviously or I wouldn't be typing this out.

The total comes out to $361.28, and based on Performance Check the combined rig has scores as follows;

CPU: 3374 GPU: 1047 HDD: 1087 RAM: 57ns Latency 3.4gb/s Uncached Transfer 1.2gb/s Write Transfer. Come at me rig builders.

EDIT: On a side-note what I'm planning to build is gonna surpass my current system in many many ways.

I use an HP G60-237US for most of my stuff and it's a really finnicky laptop, the heat gets to it, the wireless card is doing all sorts of crap, and the PSU actually failed on me a minute ago. It runs an AMD Turion X2 RM-72, GeForce 8200M G int. card, and has 3gigs of DDR2 to support Windows 7 x86.

In comparison the Performance Check stats are: CPU: 1017 GPU: 57 (Save me please Radeon) HDD: 337 RAM is just some generic 2GBx1 PC2-5300, 1GBx1 PC2-6400

Edited by Nalin_Airheart

*snip*

After doing some more research, I have made my decision - I'll most likely go with the 4770k since I'll have to get a new motherboard anyways. It may not overclock quite as well but I've heard it packs more performance per GHz than its competitors. And indeed, it does seem to need a good cooling system as it runs hotter than the other chips. How well would an Antec Kühler 920 or a Corsair Hydro H90 get rid of the heat?

E: A Corsair Hydro H100i Extreme is an option as well, I can afford to spend the extra 20€ if needed.

Edited by CaptainKorhonen

A H100i *should* be able cool the 4770K enough if you were to do a crazy 4.6Ghz OC. But i dont think you are going to do that. If you can fit the antec into your case it has a nice density to its rad, The Corsair is a little on the thin side. I love corsair products but i would go with the antec. It comes with two fans while the corsair comes with one so the antec should breath better. Its up to you.

To continue where I left off last.

I have had a stroke of bad luck; While the CPU was out, my dad clumsily caught his nail on two more pins. :(

While re-inserting the CPU, one of them snapped under the load... of the CPU + retaining bracket.

After much arguments, an colourful language; I have had to buy more parts:

Asrock Extreme 4 Gen3 Motherboard.

Corsair PC1600 RAM (2x8GB) 1.5V.

The Ram arrived this morning; But I am impatiently waiting for the Motherboard.

I hope with the new Motherboard, I can successfully test if the original ram module or modules are faulty, if so they'll be returned for refund.

An I have new ram, that will work much better, an perhaps give better over clocking.

An with the same motherboard, I know my way round the BIOS quickly; Beside's it is a very highly regarded board for over clocking. :)

So hopefully in a day or two, I'll be back to piloting Kerbals too there doom... :)

I hope you have a power supply that can power those cards, They can get hungry.

The 7770 is 8.8" long.

The 7870 IS 9.5" long.

Take a measurement device and measure from the rear pannel on your computer and measure foreward, record the measurement and you will have your answer.

I hope you have a power supply that can power those cards, They can get hungry.

The 7770 is 8.8" long.

The 7870 IS 9.5" long.

Take a measurement device and measure from the rear pannel on your computer and measure foreward, record the measurement and you will have your answer.

Ok, i am looking at a 600 watt modular power supply, it said a minimum of 500 watts so i think i am fine, thanks.

I know it will fit in my case, but i am not sure if the PCI port is not inbetween something.

Motherboards have a form factor, cases have a form factor they support. One of the measurements that determines a form factor is where the ports from the expansion cards will come out of.

These measurements are all standardized, No need to worry. Just remove the metal tab that covers the expansion slot and you are golden.

So to conclude my pc calamities.

The motherboard arrived late last night. With much care, sweat an sore eyes; I rebuild the system.

First boot consisted of just 1x 4GB of the older RAM. An was a success.

Second boot was 4x 4GB of old RAM. It too was a success. :)

Since then I have stress tested the system at 3.4GHz (stock) with Prime95 for 8 hours, without issue + 2 hours of Mem Test.

Again the system remains rock solid, if warmer than before. Max is 50C + Min 46C at 1.25 Vcore (Auto)

Before leaving for work this morning, I overclocked it too 4.4GHz.

Prime 95 was stable before leaving with, Max 61C + Min 55C at 1.380 Vcore (Auto again)

This is a great result from the new motherboard.

Shame the original supplier refusses RMA; Got a nice paper weight I guess.

The extra RAM 2x 8GB, will have to be returned.

An I shall be back too KSP tonight.

Thanks for members advice an listening, Regards Seanoog.

I'm planing on building my own pc, this is what I'm gonna go for.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/MrKicker/saved/2egH

I'm thinking of redoing that but using this instead, since it then opens the door to i5's and i7's in the future.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80637i33220

If you guys could please tell me if I should stick with the amd or go with the intell i3 that would be great.

Also if you could help by making modifications to the parts list listed above that would be nice aswell.

Just so you know my budget is $700.

MrKicker -

I would highly recommend getting either http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236100 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236176 over the Hanns one. The Asus monitors are better built and I've never had any issues with them (I've bought probably 50 various models at work and none have failed).

I would also recommend finding another case. My experiences with two NZXT cases haven't been the best. They tend to be poorly designed and have fans that fail quickly. Of course your mileage may vary and I realize you are on a budget...

It is tough to recommend budget cases, but this might fill the bill: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

Rosewill usually makes good stuff (it is a newegg brand).

Your PSU looks great. Partially modular is very very handy. I never buy none modular PSUs anymore.

As far as intel vs amd. You will most likely get better performance for KSP from Intel. The reason is that Intel has better per core speed and since KSP is more or less single threaded you would be better served with a Intel CPU. However, in bang for buck AMD usually wins.

Personally if you can't afford a Intel i5 I'd just stick with the AMD.

Hope that helps.

Edit: oh and maybe look at this for memory instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

I have a few of these at home and they've worked superbly.

Edited by Nori
more info