KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

That only goes for massive cards. Even then you would be better off creating a permanent support for it instead of taking it out and putting it back in a number of times.

Although I seriously doubt whether a support is even necessary; I have not heard any remotely recent and reliable report of a GPU getting damaged this way. The same goes for coolers damaging the motherboard; bending yes, damage, not so much. In reality this is not or barely a problem.

I think the ideal solution for heavy cards would be something like this:

aj87.jpg

I thought that was a standard thing, but I guess not. I can't actually find where you get a bracket like that short of making one yourself so I assume it's something that is case specific (my computer came with this). It looks like most GPU supports sit in the case and support from the bottom, but I think the bracket method would handle the case being on it's side, for things like transport, a lot better. Even without any support, I can't say I like the idea of removing the GPU. I feel like sooner or later you're probably going to make a mistake and give your gpu the gift of static discharge (like being in a rush to pack it up for transport).

Even without any support, I can't say I like the idea of removing the GPU. I feel like sooner or later you're probably going to make a mistake and give your gpu the gift of static discharge (like being in a rush to pack it up for transport).

Exactly, that is what I was getting at. I think the problem of transport GPU damage is pretty much non-existent, while GPU handling damage is very real. One of the safest places for hardware is inside the protection of a case. Faraday cage and all that. Of course, when you bonk your case around on a cobble stone road in the back of a leaf spring truck you might damage something, but common sense applies.

Exactly, that is what I was getting at. I think the problem of transport GPU damage is pretty much non-existent, while GPU handling damage is very real. One of the safest places for hardware is inside the protection of a case. Faraday cage and all that. Of course, when you bonk your case around on a cobble stone road in the back of a leaf spring truck you might damage something, but common sense applies.

This is down a lot of high quality roads I'm talking about XD

I'm just surprised it's not the norm. I mean, it's definitely a case specific thing, but it's always been there since I bought the computer, so I just assumed that's how things were now.

Replacing that HD 6770 with an HD 7950, and space is going to get very interesting when that happens (on Christmas). The GPU bracket will need modifying since the new card is an inch wider (which will bring it right out to the bracket), so that will be fun. It's also about 50% longer, so getting the wires around it will be fun. The new PSU is also longer, to the point it will be within an inch or two of the backside of the DVD drive.

Heating should also be interesting, but I'm definitely going to wait on that. My hope would be that I can just change the fan settings on the GPU to get it running faster than normal, to keep the temperature where I want it. If not, I might also just open the case up as needed (with the option to fan it).

Edited by Randox

Can anyone suggest a list of PC parts that would be good for playing KSP,minecraft,etc for a reasonable price

No.

Not without some additional information. If you are as accurate as possible about all desired tasks, resolution, settings, framerates, budget and everything else, then we might be able to provide you with some valuable advice. Now, you are just asking something that can be answered in any way. If you ask a question without putting any effort into it yourself, you will get an answer without effort. Help us help you and be specific and complete.

no PC on earth can run minecraft well. there is a MASSIVE memory leak.

I suggest Minetest, a non-java version that is doing it's own little thing.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time you played MineCraft? I know there was a problem in 2012, but I've mostly been playing mods since then, so I tend not to be on the current versions so I was mostly wondering if the memory leak problems had come back or something, or if the 2012 leak is the one you were referring to.

@Mach

A bit more information wouldn't hurt, and we'd be able to pick something out that properly suits your needs. Any other games or programs you plan on running? How well do you want it to run the games? There is a fair difference between a computer than can hum along in KSP with something that has 150 parts and one that doesn't mind 600. Monitor size is important because the resolution of the screen determines how much rendering the computer will have to do. Also, a target budget is always nice.

Off the top of my head, and using prebuilt computers to make a rough guess, I'd think your looking at around at least $600 to $650 unless my memory is totally failing me. That said, going full custom job could probably knock that down to $500 to $530 for a similar computer.

Also, location is good. If we know what country you are in, we can find parts on appropriate sites so that you aren't going to end up shipping something across the ocean, or hunting down the parts list on other sites.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time you played MineCraft? I know there was a problem in 2012, but I've mostly been playing mods since then, so I tend not to be on the current versions so I was mostly wondering if the memory leak problems had come back or something, or if the 2012 leak is the one you were referring to.

its always been there. also there is an issue with the 1024Mb RAM limit, if you excede that then minecraft crashes.

its always been there. also there is an issue with the 1024Mb RAM limit, if you excede that then minecraft crashes.

It tends to run pretty good on decent machines nowadays. RAM can be set manually. I used to play it with an extended view distance (= a lot more blocks visible and loaded than with the furthest vanilla settings) and that ran fine until you went really crazy with it.

So, I have a question about overclocking. When I first bought my Intel i5 2500k, I put an aftermarket fan on it and overclocked it to 4.5Ghz using 1.350v. For over a year I had no problems. But recently I get BSOD every now and then when running at full bore. I tried raising and lowering the voltage by small amounts but could not eliminate the problem, so I've lowered the speed to 4.2Ghz.

Is this a sign that the processor is ageing prematurely due to being overclocked? It is two years old now.

Is this a sign that the processor is ageing prematurely due to being overclocked? It is two years old now.

It could very well be a sign of degradation, yes. It also depends on the temperature, as things like electromigration speed up with higher temperatures. Although it could also be wear of motherboard components such as the VRM stuff, or a completely different non-related problem like wonky software. Or something as simple as dust building up in your heatsinks.

4,5 GHz should not be an issue for Sandy Bridge. 1.350v is highish but not crazily high, so it depends on the associated temperatures (too) whether that could be harmful or not.

Ok question here :) Ive got my parts and am building as we speak. Ive got one problem, The Asus 760 video card Ive got has a 8 pin power plug and Im not sure which power cable to route to it. Ive got some PCI-E cables that came with my PSU but there are two 6-pin ends with a 2-pin smaller plug with each of the 6-pin ends. Do I just put the 6 pin in with its accompanied 2-pin plug? Id post picts but Im missing the cable to my camera. Thanks folks :D

Ok question here :) Ive got my parts and am building as we speak. Ive got one problem, The Asus 760 video card Ive got has a 8 pin power plug and Im not sure which power cable to route to it. Ive got some PCI-E cables that came with my PSU but there are two 6-pin ends with a 2-pin smaller plug with each of the 6-pin ends. Do I just put the 6 pin in with its accompanied 2-pin plug? Id post picts but Im missing the cable to my camera. Thanks folks :D

The PCI-E power plugs are labeled as such, the 6 pin is all you need to plug into your GTX 760, the additional 2 pin is used for larger cards that has 8 Pin PCI-e Connections, its okay to let it just dangle there.

So, should i get a gpu support bracket and where can i get it? BTW, my part list is in my sig.

Just try not to toss it around when you are transporting it. The chance of the PCB of your GPU getting damaged during transit is low, but there is always a risk.

I'm looking to get myself a new graphics card for my computer. Right now, I only have an APU, and I need something a little more powerful. can anyone suggest a decent card for my setup: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Rjnp

EDIT: Note, my budget is about $300 at most for a decent card/cards, but I'd like to be able to save as much as possible so I can save for another monitor.

Edited by Cranium

Yeah, that build has an integrated GPU (better than most), so really depends on use.

I'm still waiting for a NVidia 660GTX to drop by, 3 days late now. :( Will use it to swap out the AMD4870 in this box. Will help for Space Engineers recordings for certain (should get 2 or 3 x my current FPS). Don't think it will help KSP though, and I'm not likely to upgrade the CPU in this system for quite a while still. :/

But the nice thing is the 660 is free (if it arrives). :D

[edit]

Arrived! Whooo!

Edited by Technical Ben

what's your budget and what will you use it for?

Well it's mostly going to be used for gaming. Playing some of the higher requirement games without the problems that AMD has with compatibility(instlaling the correct drivers can be a pain sometimes). I've already stated my budget. But that's the max I'm gonna pay for a graphics card or multiple cards.