KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

Again, can I get a check if the computer is good?

POWER SUPPLY ANTEC NEOPOWER 650R 650W FOR TAKE 4 CASE -bcom

COOLERMASTER HYPER 212 EVO UNIVERSAL CPU COOLER -bcom

INTEL QUAD CORE I5 4670K 3.4GHz 6MB SK1150 4core/4Thread RETAIL BX80646I54670K -bcom

ASUS Z87-PRO LGA1150 PCI Express 3.0 SATA WiFi 802.11 ATX Retail -bcom

CORSAIR Vengeance NON-ECC DDR3 CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHZ DIMM KIT (2 x 4 GB) Retail -bcom

WESTERN DIGITAL-OEM-SATA 3TB WD30EZRX 64MB Caviar Green HARD DRIVE -bcom

GTX770 Direct CU II OC GeForce GTX 770 2GB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort -memory express

(Don't mind the retailers)

I hate to bump this, but I'm still having issues with this build, and I'm stumped. Just hoping to get some advice from my fellow Kerbalnauts. :) If there's another thread I should post in, I can do that.

Maybe try a clean install of the drivers?, much after that i am stumped.

Again, can I get a check if the computer is good?

INTEL QUAD CORE I5 4670K 3.4GHz 6MB SK1150 4core/4Thread RETAIL BX80646I54670K -bcom

CORSAIR Vengeance NON-ECC DDR3 CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHZ DIMM KIT (2 x 4 GB) Retail -bcom

GTX770 Direct CU II OC GeForce GTX 770 2GB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort -memory express

(Don't mind the retailers)

Are you really going to be overclocking?, if so i would grab a better cooler than the one you have listed.

Grab a Caviar Blue or Black over the Caviar Green.

I will not overclock, also. Will this computer be good for gaming? As in - 60fps most modern games?

If you aren't overclocking then you don't really need a Z87 chipset mobo, unless you plan to do SLI or Crossfire down the road.

For that matter you don't really need to grab a 4670K or an after market cooler.

a 4670 is plenty for new games aswell as the GTX 770.

Is this close enough?

Do you have a defined budget?

Maximum is $1200 CAD. I had this picked out, but I can't buy online. This is as for I have no credit card. But, however, as you can tell I have found some retailers near me that sell the parts that are displayed there. I got those parts off of someone who helped me off Toms Hardware. The computer was priced minimum at $937 off prices from the website.

Now, the Z87 LG1150. I cannot get that, as for reasons already stated. Sadly.

Edited by TheCanadianVendingMachine

Maximum is $1200 CAD. I had this picked out, but I can't buy online. This is as for I have no credit card. But, however, as you can tell I have found some retailers near me that sell the parts that are displayed there. I got those parts off of someone who helped me off Toms Hardware. The computer was priced minimum at $937 off prices from the website.

Now, the Z87 LG1150. I cannot get that, as for reasons already stated. Sadly.

I see your predicament.

That hardware should run nearly any game you throw at it. 60fps as your standard would mean you may have to turn it down on some of the most demanding games.

Edited by Leonov

I have a question. How do I install, download, blah blah blah herpderp derpherp BIOS for my ASUS Micro-ATX motherboard?

I'm almost done rebuilding an old desktop tower into a new, fast gaming PC, but I can't seem to figure out where to get ASUS' BIOS. I'm told support.asus.com is the place to go, but all there is that I can see there is a search feature for prebuilt computer models from them. So, where do I get the BIOS? I'd get bored of a computer that doesn't start in a few seconds. :(

Any help? Thanks,

-Naten. :)

So, any help would be appreciated. Thanks for reading. :)

I have a question. How do I install, download, blah blah blah herpderp derpherp BIOS for my ASUS Micro-ATX motherboard?

So, any help would be appreciated. Thanks for reading. :)

What is the exact model of Motherboard you are using?

That computer would be good by any standard. Nice and qualitative hardware and a fair amount of balance too. Although you do not want it now, the option to overclock might come in handy later. I only see sensible decisions.

The one thing I would consider changing it the Caviar Green. Even though Western Digital has been a reliable brand for a long time, it seems that they have some issues. The source of this is unclear. The Greens and Reds do not do well in the ratings on Newegg, although they fare better on Amazon. It might be Newegg has a transportation problem causing DOA's, it might be WD is having issues since the floodings some time ago. Let's be clear that I am not saying it would be a bad choice per se, but it is something that I feel people need to know before they make a decision.

Maybe it is wise to investigate a little yourself, to come to your own conclusions :)

Well, it really depends on what you want to do with it and what you are expecting. Is looks like a pretty decent system. I would say the PSU is quite a bit overpowered for the hardware that is present, and I might suggest going for an SSD, as that is really going to make such a system sing. Otherwise, things seem okay.

Well, it really depends on what you want to do with it and what you are expecting. Is looks like a pretty decent system. I would say the PSU is quite a bit overpowered for the hardware that is present, and I might suggest going for an SSD, as that is really going to make such a system sing. Otherwise, things seem okay.

good point on the PSU, I guess I can back down a bit on that to 450, but on the SSD...I'm unsure if that is a good idea for me.

I've heard they get backed up fast.

EDIT:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Galacticruler/saved/2bD1

Edited by Galacticruler

good point on the PSU, I guess I can back down a bit on that to 450

That is still a lot, but that will give you some room when you upgrade your GPU in the future. I currently run a 430 watt PSU and even with that it is no problem to put in a properly fast card like a R9 280x.

but on the SSD...I'm unsure if that is a good idea for me.

I've heard they get backed up fast.

What do you mean with backed up? If you are referring to slowdowns near full capacity, yes, that is true. Just as it is for normal HDD's. Nothing some sane management won't mitigate.

Is it bad, now that I finished building a computer, and fixed multiple errors, I feel as if I can answer any computer questions?

I would dub that the Clarkson effect:

To be honest, as a product designer, that is what I live for. The feeling of creating something is like none other. It could come from designing and building something from scratch, it could come from something as simple as fixing your bike. Doing the latter can have me grinning for a week every time I ride it. The feeling that you did that and it works is amazing.

Should I plug it in the second Dvi plug on my gtx 770 or use an HDMI cable? I have both at home

It should not really matter, as both are digital and are of equal quality. The only difference might be:

- Sound. HDMI is capable of carrying sound, DVI is not. If you monitor has no speakers, this is not an issue.

- Encryption. HDMI is capable of some encryption techniques that DVI is not, so some Blu-Rays might only be played via HDMI.

- Resolution. DVI is typically supporting higher resolutions, but if you are using 1080P or 1200P both are equally fine.

I would go with the on you got the cable for. Remember to buy online and cheap when you buy digital video cables, as an expensive cable will get you exactly the same picture. There is a lot of nonsense floating around on the internet about this, but a 120 dollar cable will not get you a better picture than a 5 dollar one. If it works, it works. If you have both cables, just flip a coin :P I personally like DVI a little more, since you can screw those cables to your device, instead of just plugging it like with HDMI.

I tried with my HDMI cable, and everytime I plug it, my computer crash. When I try to power my computer with the HDMI plugged in, I get an error about hard disk drive inaccessible. It is really weird. with another HDMI cable, I get past the bios but win8.1 says that its core files are corrupted. If I unplug everything and use only the dvi with my old screen, it works. If I plug my tv in the HDMI, I had have no trouble yesterday, but it crashes now. Dvi in new monitor cause no problem.

I tried with my HDMI cable, and everytime I plug it, my computer crash. When I try to power my computer with the HDMI plugged in, I get an error about hard disk drive inaccessible. It is really weird. with another HDMI cable, I get past the bios but win8.1 says that its core files are corrupted. If I unplug everything and use only the dvi with my old screen, it works. If I plug my tv in the HDMI, I had have no trouble yesterday, but it crashes now. Dvi in new monitor cause no problem.

You could try uninstalling the video drivers if it bothers you. Remember to use Driver Sweeper to get everything. Be sure to download the newest drivers from the website, preferably before you start. I would also test the HDMI cables on another device, just to make sure they are okay. If it does not bother you, just use DVI.

It is a not uncommon problem and seems to have to do with the graphics cards having to kick into higher gear, but not doing that fast enough.

Reinstalling the drivers did the job, I should have though of it ! Thank you :)

No problem! Enjoy your monitor :)

When using Google Chrome, whenever I use it it freezes my computer

Upon starting it, or when doing something specific?

Also, none of my passwords work. At all.

What do you mean by this? Can you be more specific what passwords do not work when?